The IMCT observations thread

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The IMCT observations thread

Post by Kory »

It's been a long strange journey, a lot of us having come to Satch's from previous boards. And then beginning the work of clearing out the chuds.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Aug 2021, 9:21pm
I'm still shocked (in a good way) that this place exists. There are many internet message boards. Many have died a slow death over the past decade. I still can't remember how I found this group, but I'm thankful that I did. I've had a rough week (darn you, anxiety), but I always know I can roll in here and find a discussion to not just distract me, but to cheer me up. It's like the internet version of Cheers where everyone knows your name (or at least your IMCT user name). It's more than that, though. It's a place where we hold a wake for a fallen comrade across time zones. It's a place where we have honest discussions about all sorts of things (even sometimes the Clash... though I can't remember the last time I posted something about the band). It's the kind of place where if you're passing through you will actually try and meet up in person (still bummed I couldn't get together with Spiff when we were in the Twin Cities a few weeks ago). That said, if anyone finds themselves in Milwaukee, look me up! I've tried to describe this group to my partner (I've actually been a member longer than I've been with her) and I think she gets it... that I'm actually friends with these people I met online (Rev: I'm having yet another beer). Anyway, here's to all of ya!
Great post mate, I love this place and the people. Sorry to hear about the anxiety though, it's a fucker and wouldn't wish it upon anyone, it fucking takes over and is just plain vicious. Hope you're ok pal.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 1:53pm
It's been a long strange journey, a lot of us having come to Satch's from previous boards. And then beginning the work of clearing out the chuds.
And yet I keep coming back.

I joined here (well, Satch’s) 3 years before I met my wife and 5 before we started dating. And I lurked there for like 8 months before joining.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I wish the pre-meltdown board existed in some manner so that I could find out why I started posting. I know I joined because leeching the boots was shut down without registration, but that doesn't clear up why I started interacting. This place aside, I'm very much a sporadic online presence (lots of reading, very little conversating). I really have no memory of those early years apart from a few people, some still here and some long gone.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

I think I mentioned it when I joined last year, I'd been a long time "lurker" enjoying all the posts and awed by Marky's remasters. I was working at home more due to the pandemic, felt like I was long over due to express my thanks to Marky and the others as well as weigh in on some of the posts. I also had a few shows to share, so I went ahead and joined. I joined in a few discussions, got responses and felt welcome here, no attitudes, just genuine replies, along with some good jabs. Like minded folks who had a place in their heart for what the Clash (& other great bands from that era) and just wanted to discuss and share...truly amazing.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just bouncing off Sparky's post, it's gratifying to have a half dozen or so new members in the last couple years who have embraced the shambolic nature of the community and become steady contributors (I won't name names for fear of forgetting someone accidentally; if you think it applies to you, it does). We went a number of years without any newcomers who stuck around (oh Clashy, I can dream …) and there was every reason to think that we'd become an old folks home, a community notable for people drifting away, but you've been fantastic in adding new spice. Y'all really are important. :kiss:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I crossed it September 2012, which makes me old. lol.
I was on Satch's I think, the precursor to this place, not sure for how long though before the changeover. Although I have not posted all that much here over these years I do still cherish my membership here and I am really glad this place still exists.
Although i've been on here for years, I am still a bit out-of-the-loop on things like for example "EET WEEK" whatever that is, lol, but I wouldn't trade my time on here for any internet interaction whatsoever. Not even the KISS fandom shown by some people here can chase me away. :mrgreen:
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Ive been on other boards in the past but this place is unique even if I dont always agree with other's music choices I find I pretty well agree on most other things that matter in a broad sense. That I think is pretty unique and something Ive struggled to find in my daily person to person life.

Ive had a few too many perhaps but Ioves y'all.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Y'know, the lack of strict moderation here—I think of a Jello Biafra quip, that Inder is an absentee thoughtlord—has produced some bizarre kluging here, like devoted and active threads about KISS, chimps, Freddy Krueger, Mark Trail, and Germany's whimsical side, but I think that's been the key element to keeping this place alive, as opposed to being replaced by a Facebook group. Like, clearly it's the people and our collective weird interests and humour, but we've encouraged and Inder's allowed these eccentricities to be institutionalized. At some point, this place outgrew the Clash as its primary focus and became this Frankenstein of the community's dorky interests. Without that, I suspect it would have withered away years ago.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Yeah big ups to Inder for allowing this to continue when most would have shut it down. I hope McCartney realizes how great Inder is.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 8:01pm
Yeah big ups to Inder for allowing this to continue when most would have shut it down. I hope McCartney realizes how great Inder is.
Greater than McCartney has been in a fuck of a long time anyway!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

This is the second biggest KISS thread on the internet.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 8:14pm
Yet still the best one.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 8:16pm
Heston wrote:
Yet still the best one.
Because it gets to the festering, oozing, she-said-she-was-eighteen truth of it all.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 8:16pm
Heston wrote:
Yet still the best one.
Well yeah
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board