Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

Spiff wrote:
20 May 2019, 9:45pm
Meanwhile, in Hestonia:

Nigel Farage hit by milkshake
I gather he's been awarded Freedom of the City.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2019, 7:17pm
Kory wrote:
20 May 2019, 6:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2019, 4:37pm
JennyB wrote:
20 May 2019, 4:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2019, 3:56pm

Thanks, man. Even if it was one big scam—if so, well played, looking for someone up early in the morning and willing to open the door to a stranger at that time—I know my reasons were decent.
For sure. I'd like to think I would do the same for someone, but I won't open my door to strangers (unless they are clearly selling Thin Mints). 98% of the time, they are serial killers. That's an empirically based statistic.

Good on you, though. Hopefully karma will pay your good deed back nicely.
Most people who come to our door are looking to sign people up. If it's kids or animals, they're 90% of the way to grabbing me.
I signed up with Amnesty Intl the other day at my door. I would have preferred something about animals but since I just got a promotion it seemed like a good time to pay it forward.
We're helping kids in the Middle East thru four different charities at this point. The Boss is in a tough spot. She hates answering the door, but she rolls her eyes at how I'll say yes to pretty much everything.
I'm the one who is always saying yes in my family. I don't hide buying shoes from my husband, I hide charitable donations.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
21 May 2019, 11:14am
I'm the one who is always saying yes in my family. I don't hide buying shoes from my husband, I hide charitable donations.
Ha! The Boss, whose income is around 8000X greater than mine, certainly doesn't complain about the receipts come deduction time. It may seem that I'm painting her as some kind of horrible miser; she isn't. She prefers her charity to be more local and to organizations where she knows the people involved. There's something too abstract and remote, I think, about these international aid organizations. I can appreciate that, but knowing that we ain't poor makes it hard for me to justify saying no.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

An observation (or desire): We should be resuscitating old expressions like nosey parker and sneaky pete. They have a wonderful panache to them.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

If someone gets a tattoo and asks your opinion on it what is the etiquette when it's crap? It was a stupid quote by the way.

A. Just say yeah that looks good no matter what it is.
B. The BitterTom way. Be honest, your opinion was asked for at the end of the day. Say it looks a little pretentious and that I wouldn't have it personally.

I may have gone a bit far saying pretentious but my opinion was asked for and in response I got the "well it's not on you, it's my body, doesn't matter what you think." response.

This happened a week or so ago and it's been stewing on my mind. What would you say?

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2019, 4:38pm
An observation (or desire): We should be resuscitating old expressions like nosey parker and sneaky pete. They have a wonderful panache to them.
Still used fairly commonly here! ;)

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
21 May 2019, 4:39pm
If someone gets a tattoo and asks your opinion on it what is the etiquette when it's crap? It was a stupid quote by the way.

B. The BitterTom way. Be honest, your opinion was asked for at the end of the day. Say it looks a little pretentious and that I wouldn't have it personally.

I may have gone a bit far saying pretentious but my opinion was asked for and in response I got the "well it's not on you, it's my body, doesn't matter what you think." response.

This happened a week or so ago and it's been stewing on my mind. What would you say?
Don’t know that has never happened to me. Weirdly out of my circle of closest friends none have a tattoo including me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BitterTom wrote:
21 May 2019, 4:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Old World charm!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2019, 4:48pm
BitterTom wrote:
21 May 2019, 4:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Old World charm!
Trust me, I'd do anything to get out of here and move to Canada, fancy a swap?! :lol:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

BitterTom wrote:

Why did they ask for your opinion if they don't think it matters?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Kory wrote:
21 May 2019, 5:13pm
BitterTom wrote:

This is my point. Embarrassment I'm guessing.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

BitterTom wrote:
21 May 2019, 5:15pm
Kory wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

They should shut up.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Kory wrote:
21 May 2019, 5:17pm
BitterTom wrote:
21 May 2019, 5:15pm
Kory wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

They should shut up.
Thank you, like I said I felt bad for using the word pretentious but at the same time they asked and it wasn't as though they cared enough to ask before.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Something inoffensive and polite may have been a safer bet, unless it was absolutely and incontrovertibly atrocious. Now you have to make up to your pal by getting the same thing tattooed.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Inder wrote:
21 May 2019, 5:27pm
Something inoffensive and polite may have been a safer bet, unless it was absolutely and incontrovertibly atrocious. Now you have to make up to your pal by getting the same thing tattooed.
I agree. It will show how contrite you are.