The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 8:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 8:14pm
revbob wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 8:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 7:55pm
revbob wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 7:42pm
Had the game winning hit in the bottom of the 7th and played lock down 1st base. I'm gonna hate it when I can't do this anymore.
I keep thinking that when it comes to my cycling—things have to start going crappy sooner or later right? But my times are still steadily improving (tho a lot of that is warmer temperatures; the legs are limber right away). It's going to be a kick in the ego-nuts when my stamina starts to go and there's nothing I can do about it.
Yeah i guess you just have to cherish it for now.

I know there's people who see me as just some old fucker when I come to bat/take the field but I can still hit farther and run faster than most of them.
And doesn't that make it sweeter? Being an old guy who can do it better than younger guys? I'm not competitive (except with myself), but I always enjoyed flying past younger guys all duded up in their cycling gear. Maybe they weren't pushing themselves, I dunno, but I still loved blowing past them.
Oh hell yes it makes it sweetet and Im the same way when biking too but I have noticed on my return trip that more people are passing me than the other way around. Im pretty good on the first leg but get gassed on the way back.
Having an ego over those kinds of things is a great motivator. That said, back when I still biked outside, if I got passed by a young guy, it didn't bother me. I mean, fuck yeah, I wish I was 25 and all that.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 8:27pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 7:55pm

I keep thinking that when it comes to my cycling—things have to start going crappy sooner or later right? But my times are still steadily improving (tho a lot of that is warmer temperatures; the legs are limber right away). It's going to be a kick in the ego-nuts when my stamina starts to go and there's nothing I can do about it.

I know there's people who see me as just some old fucker when I come to bat/take the field but I can still hit farther and run faster than most of them.
And doesn't that make it sweeter? Being an old guy who can do it better than younger guys? I'm not competitive (except with myself), but I always enjoyed flying past younger guys all duded up in their cycling gear. Maybe they weren't pushing themselves, I dunno, but I still loved blowing past them.
Oh hell yes it makes it sweetet and Im the same way when biking too but I have noticed on my return trip that more people are passing me than the other way around. Im pretty good on the first leg but get gassed on the way back.
Having an ego over those kinds of things is a great motivator. That said, back when I still biked outside, if I got passed by a young guy, it didn't bother me. I mean, fuck yeah, I wish I was 25 and all that.
Yeah Ive been passed by people I think shouldn't be passing me though and that hurts. I really could use a new bike. I bought it in like 90 to 92 time frame. I looked at a new bike the other day and was almost ready to pull the trigger but Im also a cheap fuck. I paid like 250 for my current bike and 400 seems too much.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 8:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 8:27pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yeah Ive been passed by people I think shouldn't be passing me though and that hurts. I really could use a new bike. I bought it in like 90 to 92 time frame. I looked at a new bike the other day and was almost ready to pull the trigger but Im also a cheap fuck. I paid like 250 for my current bike and 400 seems too much.
I paid around $900 for mine from a guy liquidating. At the time it was worth close to three times that. And it made such a difference in my cycling experience—the lighter frame was miraculous. I've since paid more than that in replacement parts and my repair guy says I really should look to replace it because it's harder to find parts now. But biking in the basement exclusively, I think, should extend the life of it. Besides, now the frame and all that doesn't even matter. Hell, I don't even change gears now—I just get on in the highest gear and start sprinting.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 8:36pm

I paid around $900 for mine from a guy liquidating. At the time it was worth close to three times that. And it made such a difference in my cycling experience—the lighter frame was miraculous. I've since paid more than that in replacement parts and my repair guy says I really should look to replace it because it's harder to find parts now. But biking in the basement exclusively, I think, should extend the life of it. Besides, now the frame and all that doesn't even matter. Hell, I don't even change gears now—I just get on in the highest gear and start sprinting.
Yeah that's where I'm at. Unless I'm doing some serious hills. Partly because I actually bent my front sprocket a few years back while trying to climb a hill in high gear. I bent it back and now it doesnt change gears too well. Most people would have bought a new bike now but did I mention I'm a cheap fuck? Anything over 100 and i scrutinize the hell out of it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 8:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah that's where I'm at. Unless I'm doing some serious hills. Partly because I actually bent my front sprocket a few years back while trying to climb a hill in high gear. I bent it back and now it doesnt change gears too well. Most people would have bought a new bike now but did I mention I'm a cheap fuck? Anything over 100 and i scrutinize the hell out of it.
If the bike gives you a workout and you're happy with it, why change? It's only worth looking at a proper road bike if you really want to be (self-)competitive. I hemmed and hawed with mine because, like you, I'm cheap with shit like that, but the Boss pushed me to indulge, and she was (as she almost always is) smarter than me about those things.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 8:48pm
revbob wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 8:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

If the bike gives you a workout and you're happy with it, why change? It's only worth looking at a proper road bike if you really want to be (self-)competitive. I hemmed and hawed with mine because, like you, I'm cheap with shit like that, but the Boss pushed me to indulge, and she was (as she almost always is) smarter than me about those things.
Yeah I spent 4 years where almost all my money was going for my kid's college. She's out now but in the end I'm a cheap fuck especially if its something for me.

I should probably see a therapist because I obviously dont think Im "worth it "

Ive had a lot of drinks again tonight so...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 8:51pm
Yeah I spent 4 years where almost all my money was going for my kid's college. She's out now but in the end I'm a cheap fuck especially if its something for me.

Admission time for me. Maybe it's fair, maybe not, but I trace my discomfort with receiving gifts and splurging on a Christmas when I was maybe 9. I got the one thing I craved, a Millennium Falcon (the big kind that the action figures could fit in). So I'm blissing the fuck out and my sister says, “You are so spoiled.” And it just knifed me. Just killed how much I loved getting that toy. I go back to that moment because whenever I receive gifts or think about buying something unnecessary for myself, I think about being spoiled. I normally have to persuade myself of some kind of utilitarian benefit. B has been really good in getting me to just enjoy gifts and the kindness behind them—and I do sincerely appreciate the kindness of others—but I still wince at getting something that I don't “deserve.”

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 9:27pm
revbob wrote:

Admission time for me. Maybe it's fair, maybe not, but I trace my discomfort with receiving gifts and splurging on a Christmas when I was maybe 9. I got the one thing I craved, a Millennium Falcon (the big kind that the action figures could fit in). So I'm blissing the fuck out and my sister says, “You are so spoiled.” And it just knifed me. Just killed how much I loved getting that toy. I go back to that moment because whenever I receive gifts or think about buying something unnecessary for myself, I think about being spoiled. I normally have to persuade myself of some kind of utilitarian benefit. B has been really good in getting me to just enjoy gifts and the kindness behind them—and I do sincerely appreciate the kindness of others—but I still wince at getting something that I don't “deserve.”
Oh hell yeah, Im an asshole who doesn't deserve anything (in my mind).

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Weird. Feel the same way about getting gifts or spending money on myself. One or both of my parents always threw it in our faces about how much something costs. To this day, I feel guilty even buying anything I want, even a few shirts I bought this past weekend.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 7:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Weird. Feel the same way about getting gifts or spending money on myself. One or both of my parents always threw it in our faces about how much something costs. To this day, I feel guilty even buying anything I want, even a few shirts I bought this past weekend.
IMCT: Where people who don't deserve anything nice congregate.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 8:11am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

To be honest, I think many of us are pretty compassionate people who put the happiness of others above ourselves. I honestly like giving other people gifts much more than receiving them.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 9:55am
To be honest, I think many of us are pretty compassionate people who put the happiness of others above ourselves. I honestly like giving other people gifts much more than receiving them.
I'd like to think that's true. But that doesn't explain that little knife twist I feel in my stomach when I receive a gift. It can't be helped.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 10:07am
JennyB wrote:
I'd like to think that's true. But that doesn't explain that little knife twist I feel in my stomach when I receive a gift. It can't be helped.
I reckon it's because you got that Millennium Falcon but you never got the Han Solo figure. So it wasn't going anywhere in a galaxy far far away.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 10:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 10:07am
JennyB wrote:
I reckon it's because you got that Millennium Falcon but you never got the Han Solo figure. So it wasn't going anywhere in a galaxy far far away.
Au contraire. I had the New Hope version and then the Empire version of Han, plus Chewie, Vader, Yoda, Luke, Obi-Wan, even a Death Star engineer. What I didn't have, at first, was the ships to plop them in.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 8:11am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

*clears throat* Hello, I'm Laura, and I don't deserve nice things. :twitch: