Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 12:24pm
Almost done listening to Doris Kearns Goodwin's LBJ audiobook and I have a few observations. Living in the shadow of Trump has made me conclude that LBJ (and Nixon, for that matter) was a competent version of Trump. Narcissistic, paranoid, valuing loyalty over all else, convinced the media and intellectuals are out to get them (and then behaving in a way that encourages it to come to pass), a wounded psyche in search of validation from the public and desperately scared of being rejected, boastful and unwilling to admit error, and a belief that the world is just a series of transactions and that he is the best dealmaker around. But, yeah, LBJ was actually good at it, plus, unlike Trump, LBJ had a genuine charisma and talent of reading the person to know how to reach them.

Also, a passing reference to LBJ and living ex-presidents, it made me wonder (and confirm) who was the last US president who had zero living ex-presidents?
It was actually Nixon.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 12:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Almost done listening to Doris Kearns Goodwin's LBJ audiobook and I have a few observations. Living in the shadow of Trump has made me conclude that LBJ (and Nixon, for that matter) was a competent version of Trump. Narcissistic, paranoid, valuing loyalty over all else, convinced the media and intellectuals are out to get them (and then behaving in a way that encourages it to come to pass), a wounded psyche in search of validation from the public and desperately scared of being rejected, boastful and unwilling to admit error, and a belief that the world is just a series of transactions and that he is the best dealmaker around. But, yeah, LBJ was actually good at it, plus, unlike Trump, LBJ had a genuine charisma and talent of reading the person to know how to reach them.

Also, a passing reference to LBJ and living ex-presidents, it made me wonder (and confirm) who was the last US president who had zero living ex-presidents?
It was actually Nixon.
Right. Ike died a couple months into Nixon's first term, and Truman and LBJ died about a month apart in Dec 72/Jan 73. So odious was Nixon that all the others preferred death.

Also crazy that Jimmy Carter has been an ex-president for almost forty years now.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 12:48pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It was actually Nixon.
Right. Ike died a couple months into Nixon's first term, and Truman and LBJ died about a month apart in Dec 72/Jan 73. So odious was Nixon that all the others preferred death.

Also crazy that Jimmy Carter has been an ex-president for almost forty years now.
Carter has spent more time posing for pictures with living Presidents than he did occupying the White House at this point.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 1:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It was actually Nixon.

Carter has spent more time posing for pictures with living Presidents than he did occupying the White House at this point.
More so, Carter is one active dude. As lousy a president as he was—and, admittedly, he was dealt a crappy hand to play—he's a gold standard on what you hope former leaders to be.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 1:43pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It was actually Nixon.

More so, Carter is one active dude. As lousy a president as he was—and, admittedly, he was dealt a crappy hand to play—he's a gold standard on what you hope former leaders to be.
Just a consistently good role model for someone past sixty.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 1:43pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It was actually Nixon.

He’s such a good ex-President that people tend to really downplay some of the absolutely shitty things he did as president. Then again, I guess Reagan erased him in the minds of both liberals and conservatives for different reasons.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Gotta Get Theroux This - Louis Theroux.

If you like his TV docs you will like this book.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Audiobook:
Starting tomorrow, a woman's loving tribute to her family and how it shaped its children. I've mostly stayed away from the Trump books—I've listened to Craig Unger's book on Trump and Russian oligarchs, that stupid Anonymous book, and Tim Alberta's account of the Republican Party since the Tea Party emerged—but this seems appealingly venomous.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 9:32pm
Tim Alberta's account of the Republican Party
I only read Jerry Ontario and Edward Quebec.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 7:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 9:32pm
Tim Alberta's account of the Republican Party
I only read Jerry Ontario and Edward Quebec.
Eastern snob.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Another book that I'm considering for this punk class. Like Pretty in Punk, it's written by a member of the subculture-turned-scholar. Seems promising thus far.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 7:48pm
Another book that I'm considering for this punk class. Like Pretty in Punk, it's written by a member of the subculture-turned-scholar. Seems promising thus far.
Fugazi just came up on shuffle as I saw this.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 7:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Fugazi just came up on shuffle as I saw this.
I'm planning on a unit about punk economics, so Fugazi/Dischord will definitely be prominent in the readings.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... aay8IL.jpg
I'd be interested in your thoughts on this, as a formally straight edge fella who still has a lot of affection for the music and the movement, I'd be curious how it reads.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 1:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... aay8IL.jpg
I'd be interested in your thoughts on this, as a formally straight edge fella who still has a lot of affection for the music and the movement, I'd be curious how it reads.
Will do. I didn't know you were once sXe, but now it doesn't surprise me—the discipline and moral commitment. It's a fascinating and contradictory offshoot of punk. A weird mix of conservative evangelicalism and radical left politics, individual discipline and community support.