movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by revbob »

45 Great Music Documentaries to Stream Right Now

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/45-great- ... right-now/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 8:29am

Has anyone watched White Riot? Thoughts? Where can I stream it?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 12:23pm
revbob wrote:

It's okay if you don't know anything about RAR, but there's nothing there that supersedes what's been written before.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 12:36pm
JennyB wrote:
revbob wrote:

It's okay if you don't know anything about RAR, but there's nothing there that supersedes what's been written before.
Gotcha - thanks!
Got a Rake? Sure!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
revbob wrote:

It looks like you can stream it
The site looks pretty interesting. Reminds me of when you could go to the cool video store and not see just the latest Hollywood blockbuster super hero movies

https://www.filmmovement.com/white-riot

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 1:06pm
JennyB wrote:
revbob wrote:

It looks like you can stream it
The site looks pretty interesting. Reminds me of when you could go to the cool video store and not see just the latest Hollywood blockbuster super hero movies

https://www.filmmovement.com/white-riot
Cool! Thank you.
Got a Rake? Sure!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) Tom Atkins is a doctor who uncovers an international plot from a novelty company to kill millions of children on Halloween night when a TV signal activates a laser attached to the back of the mask. This is the first time I’d seen it in many years, and I don’t want to be one of the people who don’t like it for the sole reason that Michael Myers is absent, but man, this plot is ridiculous! It does have some nice gore, and the iconic Silver Shamrock jingle, but that’s about it. Writer/director Tommy Lee Wallace later did the It miniseries.

Love and Monsters (2020) Survivors live in bunkers after giant, mutated incents take over the Earth’s surface, and a young man risks his life on a 80 mile trek when he discovers his high school girlfriend at the time of the apocalypse is alive in another bunker. Michael Rooker was the onlt familiar face for me. Fun FX, but this family-friendly adventure is very predictable, with the coward-turn-hero plot. Not bad, but really not my kind of movie.

The Last Drive In: Joe Bob’s Halloween Hideaway
Haunt (2019) A group of college students go to a haunted maze that much to their surprise is run by murderers. The main character was fresh out of an abusive relationship and the first thing she does is latch on to aguy who wears a backwards baseball cap. Get a grip, woman! Nothing groundbreaking here, but fun and worth a watch. 2nd time for me, good gore, pretty good movie. Joe Bob loved it.
Hack-o-Lantern aka Halloween Night (1988) Grandpa likes one of his three grandkids better than the rest. He believes Tommy is the one to take over the family practice of Satanic ritual murder when the time is right. Tommy’s dad meets his death with a claw hammer when he tries to put a stop to it. 10 years later, Tommy is of age, and a rebellious metalhead who hates his mom and siblings, has violent rock video dreams and a bleached-out slutty girlfriend. He’s finally ready to join in the ritual while everyone dresses up for the Halloween party. Someone in a red cape and Satan mask starts murdering people near the party, and after she is abducted, Tommy is asked to sacrifice his own sister! A lot of blood and several scenes of nudity as well. The actor who played Tommy is Mac’s dad in Always Sunny many years later. Director Jag Mundhra has made a ton of erotic thrillers for Cinemax.

The Vast of Night (2019) In 1950s small town New Mexico, a teenage switchboard operator and local radio DJ discover a strange radio frequency, prompting a few listeners to phone in about the town’s long history of close encounters. This minimal budget drama was very talky, and probably could have worked as a radio play. I’m not really sure how I feel about this one, I thought the story was very good, just don’t expect a lot of (or any) action. I guess I’m going to give it my approval, but unlikely I’d ever revisit.

The Hole in the Ground (2019) A single mom loses her son in the woods for 5 minutes and now she thinks he’s a changling because he used to be afraid of spiders and now he isn’t, in this boring, unoriginal Irish thriller, that’s short on thrills. Seriously one of the worst things I’ve seen in a long time, if you want the same story but 500 times better look for the changling segment in the Christmas Horror Story anthology.

The Leopard Man (1943) A leopard gets loose during a night club publicity stunt, and kills a young girl. During the hunt in the days that follow, a few more young women meet this bloody deaths, but these ones seem they may have been committed by a man! The male lead was hard to like, as he refused to accept responsibility for the loose cat, but there’s some scenes and characters that has made this one of my favorite oldies for a longtime. Particularly a Mexican mother who sends her teenage daughter to the store knowing there’s a wild animal on the loose because her husband will flip out if there’s no tortillas with dinner, and then refusing to let her in when the girl is being mauled on the doorstep because screaming is rude. Val Lewton produced nine very good horror/noirs in the 40s, and Jacque Tourneur directed three of them, including Cat People.

Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972) Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing reprise their roles of Count Dracula and Professor Van Helsing respectively. The film starts with them battling to death on a runaway carriage and sees the Count take a broken wagon wheel to the heart. 100 years later, a swinging group of young and good looking London Mods, lead by Johhny Alucard, revive him. Stephanie Beacham and her impressive rack plays Jessica Van Helsing, the object of Dracula’s revenge, and that she lives with her grandfather (Cushing), a doppelganger for the original professor, is an added bonus! Marsha Hunt (Mick Jagger’s girlfriend) plays one of the victims, and so does Caroline Munro, the best of the Hammer babes, in my opinion. A bad rock band that plays a few songs in the beginning and a modern score puts a time-stamp on the movie, but I suppose that was the intention. Not particularly great, but still good fun.

The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973) Christopher Lee plays Count Dracula for the 7th and final time for Hammer Films, and Peter Cushing joins him as the grandson of Professor Van Helsing in this direct sequel to Dracula AD 1972. Joanna Lumley (Absolutely Fabulous) replaces Stephanie Beachum as Jessica Van Helsing. Scotland Yard investigators uncover ritual sacrifice and dungeons full of half-naked women in chains and with the help of the Van Helsings, find that it leads to Dracula himself, in the disguise of a millionaire businessman. It takes quite a while for Drac to make an appearance in this one, but there’s a good bit of nudity to keep you distracted until he does. Decent wrap of a 15 year series of films, though Cushing would appear one more time as Van Helsing in Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires.

The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974) One of Hammer Film’s last efforts is a collaboration with the Shaw Brothers, and brings Dracula back (but unfortunately, not Christopher Lee) to the 1800s in China. Peter Cushing is Van Helsing for the final time, lecturing in a Chinese university and recruited by a young man and his 6 brothers and one sister who each have a unique kung fu expertise to battle the evil zombie-faced vampires that menace their village. Julie Ege is a bored, rich widow who funds the trip. Lots of nudity, as these vampires like to rip blouses off of peasants. Avoid the American cut called “The Seven Brothers vs Dracula” as it’s incoherently edited and many of the action scenes are repeated throughout.

The Virgin Witch (1973) A pair of pretty London sisters are invited to a remote mansion for the weekend under the guise of a modeling gig, but it’s a witch coven looking for a recruit. Older sister, Christine, doesn’t need her arm twisted, in fact it’s only a day or so until she feels ready to rise up in the ranks, while younger sister, Betty, is a bit more wary. The plot doesn’t really matter, though, as this isn’t much more than an excuse for Christine to run around without her clothes on, and when she isn’t, her sister or some other witch is. Real life sisters, Anne & Vickie Michelle, star…and bathe, and change their clothes, and make out with dudes, etc.

Bad Hair (2020) 1989 at a black MTV rival cable station, a young woman hopeful of becoming a VeeJay gets an expensive weave, as it’s been a proven method of success among her peers. The hair seems to have vampiric tendencies! This fun horror/comedy had a lot of recognizable faces, Vanessa Williams, Blair Underwood, Jay Pharaoh, Usher, and more. I enjoyed this HULU original quite a bit.

Blood Vessel (2020) Near the end of WWII, the survivors of a torpedoed hospital ship, climb aboard an abandoned nazi ship…abandoned except for vampires! It took nearly an hour for the vamps to show up, but they were really cool looking, bat-faced, ancient language speaking creatures. Reminded me a bit of The Strain. I would have liked more vampire action, but overall pretty enjoyable.

His House (2020) A Sudanese refugee couple relocate to their new home in a small town in England, but their adjustment is hold because something unholy is in the house…or did they bring it with them? This was legit scary, and I almost never say that about anything. Good ending, absolutely recommended. Wunmi Mosaku of Lovecraft Country stars.

Dario Argento’s Door Into Darkness (Made for Italian TV - 1973)
“Eyewitness” A woman finds a dead body in the road but by the time the police show there’s no trace. Remind you of Bava’s The Girl Who Knew Too Much? Anyway she soon finds her life threatened by a myterious stranger.
“The Doll” The police are looking for a dangerous, escaped mental patient. Meanwhile, a mysterious man follows a woman home. In the intro, Dario dares you to guess the twist. I did.

Odd Thomas (2013) Anton Yelchin (Burying the Ex) plays the title character, a charming short order cook who sees dead people…and avenges them. Willem Dafoe plays a police chief that always listens to him because he’s always right, and Addison Timlin is his adorable girlfriend, Stormy. When Odd sees a strange man surrounded by spectral creatures called “bodachs” that only appear when the shit is about to hit the fan, he tries his best to figure out a way to halt the impending doom, easier said than done. From a novel by Dean Koontz, and directed by Stephen Sommers (who did the 90s Mummy movies and Van Helsing) this was highly entertaining and funny. In fact I think I maybe almost loved it. I definitely loved the girl. I wouldn’t mind a sequel. REWATCH NOTES: OK, after a 2nd watch, maybe I was a little excited, but I still liked it. Obviously, Anton passed away since, no sequel.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Hooks, did this fit the timeline of your project from a few years back?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 8:15pm

Too long after my time period, unfortunately. I wish I could come up with a good research idea to justify watching hippie exploitation movies. :meh:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972) Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing reprise their roles of Count Dracula and Professor Van Helsing respectively. The film starts with them battling to death on a runaway carriage and sees the Count take a broken wagon wheel to the heart. 100 years later, a swinging group of young and good looking London Mods, lead by Johhny Alucard, revive him. Stephanie Beacham and her impressive rack plays Jessica Van Helsing, the object of Dracula’s revenge, and that she lives with her grandfather (Cushing), a doppelganger for the original professor, is an added bonus! Marsha Hunt (Mick Jagger’s girlfriend) plays one of the victims, and so does Caroline Munro, the best of the Hammer babes, in my opinion. A bad rock band that plays a few songs in the beginning and a modern score puts a time-stamp on the movie, but I suppose that was the intention. Not particularly great, but still good fun.

Probably one of the first ever horror films I remember seeing. I was 8 at the time and prior to this I'd mostly just read stuff like Frankenstein. It's good fun but even back then I thought the Johnny Alucard (Dracula backwards) was a bit corny.

Cheers for your write up's tep always appreciated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 8:35pm
tepista wrote:

Too long after my time period, unfortunately. I wish I could come up with a good research idea to justify watching hippie exploitation movies. :meh:
They're fun?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 11:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:

They're fun?
Well, duh, sure, but I tend not to do things scattershot. I need to go full on into these things, and those movies tend to be the thing I'd have to buy (I paid a lot for all those 1950s j.d. movies).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 7:38am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:

They're fun?
Well, duh, sure, but I tend not to do things scattershot. I need to go full on into these things, and those movies tend to be the thing I'd have to buy (I paid a lot for all those 1950s j.d. movies).
Oh fuck, you do take it seriously.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 9:59am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 7:38am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:

They're fun?
Oh fuck, you do take it seriously.
:lol: I operate on multiple levels. I can enjoy stuff as goofy fun but I have a hard time shutting off the analytical part. That's the blessing/curse of popular cultural training. For a long time, I couldn't really enjoy any of that stuff—it all went thru the academic filter. But you learn to do both, tho I can never really shut off the serious side. I've told students who want to pursue that stuff seriously that it's going to fuck up their leisure lives for awhile, so be careful.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 8:44pm

probably one of the first ever horror films I remember seeing. I was 8 at the time and prior to this I'd mostly just read stuff like Frankenstein. It's good fun but even back then I thought the Johnny Alucard (Dracula backwards) was a bit corny.
A lot of vampire lore portrays them as being Obsessive/Compulsive, and enjoying wordplay. Carmilla also went by Mircalla, and Lon Chaney Jr's character in Son of Dracula was also Alucard. Fun stuff like that, but yes, corny. One of the Ano Dracula books I read joked about "who do they think they're fooling?" or something like that. :)