Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 10:42pm
revbob wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 10:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 9:52pm
revbob wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 9:37pm
Game night tonight. I was 4/4, two runs scored. Almost overran my teammate at 2nd (I hate batting behind slow people). I was doing a lot of running and I foolishly didn't eat/drink much today but slammed two beers to start the game. I got hot/sweaty and nauseous after going hard from 1st to home. I puked behind the dugout and lay on the cool grass. I managed to only miss one inning but I think I'll try better nutrition on game days in the future.
You have confirmed your status as middle-aged-playing-sports guy. :cool:
Yeah its harder to perform on just beer and chips these days.
I can hook you with some greenies. Meet me in White River Junction.
Cool, WRJ has got to be the site for tons of similar transactions.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 11:39pm

Cool, WRJ has got to be the site for tons of similar transactions.
Norwich, CT is a special place too. There are actual zombies. Great country.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
Game night tonight. I was 4/4, two runs scored. Almost overran my teammate at 2nd (I hate batting behind slow people). I was doing a lot of running and I foolishly didn't eat/drink much today but slammed two beers to start the game. I got hot/sweaty and nauseous after going hard from 1st to home. I puked behind the dugout and lay on the cool grass. I managed to only miss one inning but I think I'll try better nutrition on game days in the future.
Oh man, 2 beers on an empty stomach followed by strenuous exercise....you're an animal!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
you're a finely tuned athletic machine, and i respect that
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I've been using this personal trainer app at the gym we just joined. Its got me doing a lot of exercises that I wouldn't do otherwise. I'm sore all over but in a good way.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

As some of you know, I've been in the hospital with the missus for the last couple weeks, and before that had been on vacation and so forth. It's basically been a month+ of me gorging myself and getting no exercise, lol (not that I regret it - you gotta take advantage of vacation time and then in the hospital I was fine leaning into comfort food as a way for us to alleviate stress - much more important than trying to go nuts counting calories or whatever). Time to get back at it when we get home today, although I'll be canceling our gym membership as covid cases are spiking, there's no masking at our local gym, and the pregnant missus is part of the vulnerable population - so back to the 'ol home gym. I'll be trying to some app based stuff to make that a little more exciting and I moved the bench to be in the basement tv room area so I can watch sox games as I work out (and I'd gotten a jumprope before vacation and was really starting to like that). So, ah well.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Flex wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 1:31pm
As some of you know, I've been in the hospital with the missus for the last couple weeks, and before that had been on vacation and so forth. It's basically been a month+ of me gorging myself and getting no exercise, lol (not that I regret it - you gotta take advantage of vacation time and then in the hospital I was fine leaning into comfort food as a way for us to alleviate stress - much more important than trying to go nuts counting calories or whatever). Time to get back at it when we get home today, although I'll be canceling our gym membership as covid cases are spiking, there's no masking at our local gym, and the pregnant missus is part of the vulnerable population - so back to the 'ol home gym. I'll be trying to some app based stuff to make that a little more exciting and I moved the bench to be in the basement tv room area so I can watch sox games as I work out (and I'd gotten a jumprope before vacation and was really starting to like that). So, ah well.
Hello,

I recently bought a jump rope as well. I used to do quite a bit when I was still playing as it's very good for footspeed. It can be a good workout (and fun) doing all sorts of different stuff - the Ali shuffle, double-jumping, cross-overs, etc. (these are all my terms for things - I'm sure others do the same activities with their own names). Good luck.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
Hope all is well, Flex.

I do a lot of interval training indoors, once my staircase got overrun last summer. I've found it to be better for my core overall.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
As Kory said, I hope everything is well with your family Flex.
My wife and daughter had been paying for their memberships throughout the closures, daughter finally canceled hers, wife kept hers going, but the nearest gym closed, making it very inconvenient for her.
Walking and YT cardio workouts have kept her going, not sure how much longer she'll keep the membership though.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 9:31am
revbob wrote:
Oh man, 2 beers on an empty stomach followed by strenuous exercise....you're an animal!
Animal might not be the right term.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
There's a bit of financial investment here, but I really can't recommend a rowing machine enough. The shit works legs, arms, chest, gut. It really is a one-stop shopping machine for covering a whole lot of your body all at once. Plus you're sitting, so it kinda feels like goofing off, too.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 2:43pm
Flex wrote:
There's a bit of financial investment here, but I really can't recommend a rowing machine enough. The shit works legs, arms, chest, gut. It really is a one-stop shopping machine for covering a whole lot of your body all at once. Plus you're sitting, so it kinda feels like goofing off, too.
It seems like they fall apart a lot though. Or is that just my own limited perception from this thread?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Hello,

This might be my next investment. They provide good exercise, don't take up a huge amount of space, are reasonably inexpensive, and generally pretty quiet during operation. I don't have one and will have to wait until I get back to school and use the one in the fitness center.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

We bought a Nordic Trac elliptical during lockdown and really love it. We figured that since we cancelled our gym membership, it would even out in the end anyway, monetarily. It's pretty cool. I like to do the tours of different cities.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 2:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It seems like they fall apart a lot though. Or is that just my own limited perception from this thread?
It really is, as I've found (alas), a case of getting what you pay for. The problem I had with previous rowers is the drive chain snapping. The Concept 2 is the one that gyms use and is the gold standard, and it uses a heavy nickel-plated chain. I have a water rower—wooden with the resistance coming from water in a drum—and it uses a bungie cord and velcro, and I have had absolutely zero problems with its design or durability. So it's a matter of doing some research and don't be seduced by cheap models.
gkbill wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 2:52pm
Hello,

This might be my next investment. They provide good exercise, don't take up a huge amount of space, are reasonably inexpensive, and generally pretty quiet during operation. I don't have one and will have to wait until I get back to school and use the one in the fitness center.
I really was stunned by how much I liked the routine of their use and how much they worked the body. I noticeably added muscle and tone in my chest and arms (less so the legs, but that's likely because I biked so much).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft