NHL 2021

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: NHL 2021

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 1:39pm
:lol:

Inder's getting the ban hammer from under his bed … :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 2:05pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 1:39pm
:lol:

Inder's getting the ban hammer from under his bed … :shifty:
“Pete Blackburn is hereby banned from IMCT for 2 weeks!”

:shifty:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

It is a top-tier zing, so I can't get mad :curses1: :curses1: :curses1: :curses1: :curses1:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

That's what the kids call a sick burn!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

JennyB wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 10:30am
Hey, that tweet was by Pete Blackburn. Pete Sickburn usually just tweets about the Sabres. :disshame:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 7:31pm
JennyB wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 10:30am
Hey, that tweet was by Pete Blackburn. Pete Sickburn usually just tweets about the Sabres. :disshame:
:mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

This clip from the Bills game vs. the Washington Football Team this past weekend amuses me on multiple levels. Hate to see a player get injured, but the fact he was hurt while colliding with a Sabres jersey is…special. And despite being hurt, he still has the wits to give the jersey a disrespectful tug as he tumbles over a plastic crate to the ground. Also, note the sad can of Blue Light that drops next to his head in the last second of the clip, and the thin stream of beer running down the wall. Just excellent camera work. I’ve probably watched this clip 20 times and get a chuckle out of it every time.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

I vaguely remember having a few Brian Spencer Sabres cards from the 70s, but I wasn’t aware of the details of his story.

From Wikipedia:

Brian Spencer was drafted in the fifth round, 55th overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 1969 NHL Entry Draft. On December 12, 1970, when Spencer was called up to play with the Leafs in what would be his first NHL game on television, he telephoned his father Roy in British Columbia to tell him to watch the game that night on Hockey Night in Canada. Spencer was to be interviewed between periods of the game. However, a game featuring the Vancouver Canucks versus the California Golden Seals was aired instead. Infuriated, Roy Spencer drove 135 kilometres (84 mi) to Prince George, where the closest TV station, CKPG-TV (then a CBC Television affiliate), is located. When he arrived, he ordered station staff, at gunpoint, to broadcast the Maple Leafs game instead. The station complied, but as Roy Spencer left the station, he was confronted by the RCMP. After a brief stand-off Roy Spencer was shot and killed.

*smiling politely* Inder, I’m wishing you and the Leafs all the best this year buddy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 7:14pm
I vaguely remember having a few Brian Spencer Sabres cards from the 70s, but I wasn’t aware of the details of his story.

From Wikipedia:

Brian Spencer was drafted in the fifth round, 55th overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 1969 NHL Entry Draft. On December 12, 1970, when Spencer was called up to play with the Leafs in what would be his first NHL game on television, he telephoned his father Roy in British Columbia to tell him to watch the game that night on Hockey Night in Canada. Spencer was to be interviewed between periods of the game. However, a game featuring the Vancouver Canucks versus the California Golden Seals was aired instead. Infuriated, Roy Spencer drove 135 kilometres (84 mi) to Prince George, where the closest TV station, CKPG-TV (then a CBC Television affiliate), is located. When he arrived, he ordered station staff, at gunpoint, to broadcast the Maple Leafs game instead. The station complied, but as Roy Spencer left the station, he was confronted by the RCMP. After a brief stand-off Roy Spencer was shot and killed.

*smiling politely* Inder, I’m wishing you and the Leafs all the best this year buddy.
Yikes. That puts Dave Hodge's on-air irritation (for which he was canned) in the back seat.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 7:59pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

From Wikipedia:

Yikes. That puts Dave Hodge's on-air irritation (for which he was canned) in the back seat.
Huh, Hodge got fired for that? Must have been the pen flip at the end. Haven't seen that clip before, but yeah, that seems pretty tame in comparison.

Apparently there was a made-for-TV movie about Spencer, called Gross Misconduct: The Life of Brian Spencer (1993). It’s on youtube in 7 parts, about 2 hours long. I haven’t watched it yet. Maybe this weekend.

Here’s an account from the night of the shooting. Also talks about Brian's later life and murder charges, He was eventually shot dead too during a robbery. Crazy stuff:

'I Absolutely Froze': The Night 'Spinner' Spencer's Dad Attacked The CBC

https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2020/08/ ... r-roy-ckpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 8:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

From Wikipedia:

Huh, Hodge got fired for that? Must have been the pen flip at the end. Haven't seen that clip before, but yeah, that seems pretty tame in comparison.

Apparently there was a made-for-TV movie about Spencer, called Gross Misconduct: The Life of Brian Spencer (1993). It’s on youtube in 7 parts, about 2 hours long. I haven’t watched it yet. Maybe this weekend.

Here’s an account from the night of the shooting. Also talks about Brian's later life and murder charges, He was eventually shot dead too during a robbery. Crazy stuff:

I have never ever heard about the Spencer story before. Admittedly, I ain't a hockey fan, but that still surprises me. The whole thing seems especially contemporary, of guns and media grievance and fame.

(And, yup, the pen clip was the insubordination that was too much for the tight sphincters at CBC in the 80s.)

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 8:46pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 8:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

From Wikipedia:

I have never ever heard about the Spencer story before. Admittedly, I ain't a hockey fan, but that still surprises me. The whole thing seems especially contemporary, of guns and media grievance and fame.

(And, yup, the pen clip was the insubordination that was too much for the tight sphincters at CBC in the 80s.)
It does. Alcoholism also seems to have played a major role, father and son, and in Brian’s case, I wouldn’t be surprised if blows to the head might have been a factor too. He played a rough style during the helmetless era when of course nobody gave much thought to the effects of repeated brain trauma in sports.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 9:09pm
I wouldn’t be surprised if blows to the head might have been a factor too. He played a rough style during the helmetless era when of course nobody gave much thought to the effects of repeated brain trauma in sports.
We romanticize the 1970s for hockey and football—I confess that I'm a sucker for any replay of a 1970s NFL game; there's something that seemed more true about the sport—yet it was brutal and ground up people's lives like factory shift work.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Kimmelweck wrote:

From Wikipedia:

Wow, never heard that story before!

The bit about him working after a 10-year pro career is kind of revealing how owners really tamped down player salaries.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »