Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
13 Nov 2021, 2:03am
I'd like to pretend I wouldn't drink that, but who the fuck am I trying to kid? Kory? I don't need to prove anything to him.
I'm holding out for Bud KFC.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
I'd like to pretend I wouldn't drink that, but who the fuck am I trying to kid? Kory? I don't need to prove anything to him.
I wouldn't but it but I might try it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
Hey, I'll try anything twice. Let's meet for some FryVod.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Not drinking much for a while leads to a much quicker drunk .

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 9:54pm
Yeah, it'll get you. After just a week off a couple of beers will knock you on your ass.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 10:35pm
revbob wrote:
Yeah, it'll get you. After just a week off a couple of beers will knock you on your ass.
Yeaah 4 pints and Im dangerous

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 10:36pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
Can't do that without practice.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 11:26pm
revbob wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 10:36pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
Can't do that without practice.
Come up north and we can raise some hell.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We had some friends over yesterday, so the Boss bought a variety of beer, tho we ended up only drinking wine. Anyhoo, I cracked this open today. Turns out it's quite highly regarded. My reaction was, "Seems okay to me." Which isn't me being fussy, but rather I have no idea what the pros are doing or looking for.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 5:03pm
We had some friends over yesterday, so the Boss bought a variety of beer, tho we ended up only drinking wine. Anyhoo, I cracked this open today. Turns out it's quite highly regarded. My reaction was, "Seems okay to me." Which isn't me being fussy, but rather I have no idea what the pros are doing or looking for.
Love that one, but I'm a sucker for traditional belgian strong dark ales (or quads). It doesn't have the *wow* factor of a bourbon barrel stout or a well executed fruited lambic, but I find it delicious. Belgian styles were my gateway, so I'll always have a soft spot for them. I love the rich, dark fruit flavors of quads. Plus they weigh in at 9%-10% without any semblance of heat.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 5:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Love that one, but I'm a sucker for traditional belgian strong dark ales (or quads). It doesn't have the *wow* factor of a bourbon barrel stout or a well executed fruited lambic, but I find it delicious. Belgian styles were my gateway, so I'll always have a soft spot for them. I love the rich, dark fruit flavors of quads. Plus they weigh in at 9%-10% without any semblance of heat.
"Seems okay to me." :meh:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 5:20pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not every style is for everyone, that's totally fine.

Side note about St. Bernardus, they used to brew for the monks at St Sixtus as "Westvleteren" before the monks started up their own operation. Westvleteren 12 was the hottest shit in the world from like 2010-2015 because you could only get it by calling the monastery and arranging for a drive through pickup and they made very little. So for a good while, it's rarity and general excellence made it the most coveted beer in the world. You'll find tons of articles and lists mentioning it (for example: https://www.businessinsider.com/best-be ... ii-2014-12).

Anyway, i've had it side by side with St. Bernardus 12 and they are VERY similar.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 5:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 5:20pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not every style is for everyone, that's totally fine.

Side note about St. Bernardus, they used to brew for the monks at St Sixtus as "Westvleteren" before the monks started up their own operation. Westvleteren 12 was the hottest shit in the world from like 2010-2015 because you could only get it by calling the monastery and arranging for a drive through pickup and they made very little. So for a good while, it's rarity and general excellence made it the most coveted beer in the world. You'll find tons of articles and lists mentioning it (for example: https://www.businessinsider.com/best-be ... ii-2014-12).

Anyway, i've had it side by side with St. Bernardus 12 and they are VERY similar.
No, I liked it well enough. I'm highlighting that I genuinely can't tell exceptional beer from good. I'd drink it again, but I got no sense of it being distinct or special.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
One of the craziest and unexpected drunks I ever had was after like 4 pints of a strong Belgian style. I was in San Antonio and had been up since like 3am traveling to get there. Suddenly I couldn't answer when the pretty lady hitting me up asking me hard questions like why was I in town and what did I do for work? It was a miracle I was able to figure out my way back to my hotel.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 5:48pm
One of the craziest and unexpected drunks I ever had was after like 4 pints of a strong Belgian style. I was in San Antonio and had been up since like 3am traveling to get there. Suddenly I couldn't answer when the pretty lady hitting me up asking me hard questions like why was I in town and what did I do for work? It was a miracle I was able to figure out my way back to my hotel.
*snort* In my salad days, I didn't need booze to be tongue-tied around women!