Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 7:14pm
matedog wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 7:11pm
Flex wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 6:55pm
BitterTom wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 4:37pm
A mate in work who is a part time beekeeper brewed some mead the other month and gave me a generous sample today, I knocked it back and it was dry, full of flavour and delicious. Head's spinning however as he neglected to say earlier it was reading at 18%.
There's a meadery right down the street from my house. There's a lot of really good mead, it's much more akin to wine than I'd realized. Great stuff (and yeah, with a punch).
Beer nerds have gotten into mead real hard. I’ve learned to enjoy it, particularly the fruited stuff, but I don’t actively seek it out.
I don't think I'd ever actively seek it out, but it's fun enough. Definitely huge in the ren fair/d&d scenes.
There's some meaderies in the area. I had one that a friend shared. It wasn't bad never sought it out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 8:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 8:03pm
BitterTom wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 4:37pm
A mate in work who is a part time beekeeper brewed some mead the other month and gave me a generous sample today, I knocked it back and it was dry, full of flavour and delicious. Head's spinning however as he neglected to say earlier it was reading at 18%.
I've had it once—a student gave the Boss a bottle and I discovered it in a cabinet. Ridiculously sweet and viscous. Like an alcohol syrup. I'd have a hard time being persuaded to try some again.
Yeah, that was my pre-being meadery adjacent experience and it was shocking how good the mead actually was. Given your predilection for wine, I think you'd like some good dry meads.
If I were served it, I’d drink it,* but I’m not in a hurry to seek it out.

* Deep down, we never outgrow being teenagers. Someone presents me with booze? Of course I’ll drink it, it’s free!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

So we're all agreed: we won't pour free booze down the drain.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 9:34pm
Does Budweiser or Coors count as booze?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 6:32am
Flex wrote:
No, Im not sure they qualify as beer. Ive definitely poured that shit out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 9:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 6:32am
Flex wrote:
No, Im not sure they qualify as beer. Ive definitely poured that shit out.
I remember a sign in an American national historic park that said, "No alcohol allowed, including beer." I interpreted it to mean Bud and that shit that only technically counts as alcohol.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Um, holy fudge?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 6:55am
Um, holy fudge?
Just can't compute those figures. 10 drinks a day is roughly the equivalent of a bottle of vodka, whisky, gin etc, right? I know there are folk who drink more than that, but 10% of the population? That's eye-popping if true. Even in my hardest drinking years, i wouldn't have lived a month on that regime.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 7:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Um, holy fudge?
Just can't compute those figures. 10 drinks a day is roughly the equivalent of a bottle of vodka, whisky, gin etc, right? I know there are folk who drink more than that, but 10% of the population? That's eye-popping if true. Even in my hardest drinking years, i wouldn't have lived a month on that regime.
The definition of a drink must be very small. I remember in a history class, being told that Voltaire drank, like, 50 cups of coffee a day, which made everyone gasp. But then we found out they were tiny, tiny cups. It was still a lot of coffee but it wasn't a conveyor belt of the stuff.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 7:26am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Um, holy fudge?
The definition of a drink must be very small. I remember in a history class, being told that Voltaire drank, like, 50 cups of coffee a day, which made everyone gasp. But then we found out they were tiny, tiny cups. It was still a lot of coffee but it wasn't a conveyor belt of the stuff.
Yeah, I'm sure i miscounted there, i always used to drink doubles to save on bar trips! It's possibly not even half a bottle but still a fair amount. Then again, i know people who very casually knock back a bottle of wine a few days a week and think nothing of it. The red wine hangovers are the worst for me.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Um, holy fudge?
Typically a drink is referred to as a shot, a beer, or a glass of wine, all roughly the equivalent of one oz of alcohol.

10/day is crazy. Th resulting hangover would lead me to not drink again for at least a week.

Although if you start early enough and pace yourself 10/day is doable I imagine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 7:32am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Um, holy fudge?
Yeah, I'm sure i miscounted there, i always used to drink doubles to save on bar trips! It's possibly not even half a bottle but still a fair amount. Then again, i know people who very casually knock back a bottle of wine a few days a week and think nothing of it. The red wine hangovers are the worst for me.
I do a couple glasses of red wine every evening (I make my own else I couldn't afford to do that). Never enough to get drunk, but enough to calm the self-loathing a little.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 7:36am
Although if you start early enough and pace yourself 10/day is doable I imagine.
Roughly a drink every hour and a half from when you get up to go to bed. Doable for a while, I guess, but, damn, that's a young man's liver's game.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 7:43am
revbob wrote:
Roughly a drink every hour and a half from when you get up to go to bed. Doable for a while, I guess, but, damn, that's a young man's liver's game.
Yeah scientifically possible but also doing that every day? Better switch to the cheap stuff too as that getting costly.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 7:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 7:43am
revbob wrote:
Yeah scientifically possible but also doing that every day? Better switch to the cheap stuff too as that getting costly.
There's going to be a lot of shitty beer in there, the kind that would have Hoy gasping and fainting at the barbarity.