Football season USA

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Football season USA

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 3:48pm
I kind of get where you're coming from. For me, it's been the 1-2 combo of Favre & Rodgers. I have a lot of memories connected to watching those 2 play football. It looks like our #12 might finally be on his way out and that makes me sad.
For me only a very small percentage of the enjoyment I get out of team sports (especially the NFL, which is an almost unwatchable product these days) is related to the on field performance. So much is in the cultural and personal connections. That it binds us to family, to our communities (be they where we physically are or where we feel a more abstract bond), and even to strangers is all what makes it satisfying. Being part of something bigger than just yourself. I get maudlin when I think of this stuff because in a very substantive way, sports has been a primary way I've had to stay connected to a lot of things I love and cherish. Guys like Brady - or Rodgers or Favre - fuel that kind of connection for fans, and when they hang it up it feels like we're losing just a bit of that connection to that thing that's greater than any one person.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A friend of our has invited us over to watch the Stupid Bowl, tho I doubt we'll be staying the whole game. Rooting interest is pretty easy: One team actively employs racist gestures and chants, the other has a fanbase with a reputation for augmented general assholery. The latter wins out easily.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex

Post by Flex »

Heh
Attachments
Screenshot_20230212-115550.png

Pex Lives!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 12:54pm
A friend of our has invited us over to watch the Stupid Bowl, tho I doubt we'll be staying the whole game. Rooting interest is pretty easy: One team actively employs racist gestures and chants, the other has a fanbase with a reputation for augmented general assholery. The latter wins out easily.
Ah, rats. The greater of two evils won. :meh:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Kimmelweck wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 11:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 12:54pm
Ah, rats. The greater of two evils won. :meh:
Yeah, big congrats to the Kansas City Racists.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We shook our heads at the fact that they had a Native American signer introduced for the anthem … and then never put the camera on him once during either song. Stay classless, NFL and Fox.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Thank god that the Aaron Rodgers saga is almost over. I'm a lifelong Green Bay fan and I'm happy to see him gone. I have no ill will towards the Jets or their long suffering fans, but buckle up.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

For background noise this afternoon, I semi-watched a documentary on Super Bowl III (aka The Last Time Weller Had Jets Joy) and it confirmed for me that I am totally enraptured by late 1960s/1970s NFL. There's a weird, brutal romanticism to it, proving that I've fully bought the old NFL Films narrative.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 May 2023, 7:19pm
For background noise this afternoon, I semi-watched a documentary on Super Bowl III (aka The Last Time Weller Had Jets Joy) and it confirmed for me that I am totally enraptured by late 1960s/1970s NFL. There's a weird, brutal romanticism to it, proving that I've fully bought the old NFL Films narrative.
Football WAS a rough, tough physical struggle in those days. The game has changed so drastically in the last 40, 50 years, rule changes and all the pandering to the TV networks. The athletes have gotten so much better nowadays too, its staggering. That Jets team was all about running the ball and tough bend-don't break defense, with Joe Namath throwing when necessary to 2 pretty good athletes as recceivers.

To give some perspective on how long us Jets fans have been suffereing, ESPN dot com has a story up with the headline "A Day In The Life Of Joe Namath, Octogenarian" ........ :cry:
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 11:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 May 2023, 7:19pm
Football WAS a rough, tough physical struggle in those days. The game has changed so drastically in the last 40, 50 years, rule changes and all the pandering to the TV networks. The athletes have gotten so much better nowadays too, its staggering. That Jets team was all about running the ball and tough bend-don't break defense, with Joe Namath throwing when necessary to 2 pretty good athletes as recceivers.
I know it's because it's not how the game is played now, but there's something satisfying about watching a running-game offence from the old days. Just one side trying to outmuscle the other.
To give some perspective on how long us Jets fans have been suffereing, ESPN dot com has a story up with the headline "A Day In The Life Of Joe Namath, Octogenarian" ........ :cry:
Gotta be something about Mark Gastineau coming to make you feel … something.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I think this is my last weekend of watching old Super Bowls. We're up to Washington/Buffalo and whatever romantic haze I attached to the NFL is definitely gone. It's flat-out uninteresting.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 1:33pm
I think this is my last weekend of watching old Super Bowls. We're up to Washington/Buffalo and whatever romantic haze I attached to the NFL is definitely gone. It's flat-out uninteresting.
That was a huge moment for me. I became a lifelong, forever suffering fan of that miserable team because of that Super Bowl.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Found out that all those old Super Bowls are on YouTube, so I've resumed background noise watching. Yesterday was XI (Raiders/Vikings) and today is VII (Dolphins/'skins). Evidence that the Super Bowl wasn't yet a media event with a football game thrown in, these games began in the afternoon. Bright and sunny. And this one, I've spotted some empty seats.