so... what's your favorite picture of yourself?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: so... what's your favorite picture of yourself?

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2021, 1:44pm
Photo on 4-05-21 at 1.37 PM.jpg
Got my first proper pair of glasses today. The cataract surgery cleared that up, but it means one eye is permanently set at near distance and the other at far. Which makes the 3–7 foot range a bit of a challenge. So, proper prescription glasses. Plus lecturing on Zoom made me really self-conscious of my eyebrows, so I'm happy to hide them.

(Pre-emptive fuck you to anyone who wants to point out that I'm not smiling.)
Hello,

The glasses suit you!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:02pm
I just don't know if it's really you without the CTC shirt.
It's in a vault inside the Alps. I only order retrieval during EET Week.

Thanks for the kind words, y'all.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Got my first proper pair of glasses today. The cataract surgery cleared that up, but it means one eye is permanently set at near distance and the other at far. Which makes the 3–7 foot range a bit of a challenge. So, proper prescription glasses. Plus lecturing on Zoom made me really self-conscious of my eyebrows, so I'm happy to hide them.

They look good Doc. I’m probably getting to that point myself sooner than later. Last year or two I’ve had to resort to reading glasses. I can see anything 2 feet or more away just fine, but anything printed and I have to tilt my head back a bit without the glasses.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

They look good Doc. I’m probably getting to that point myself sooner than later. Last year or two I’ve had to resort to reading glasses. I can see anything 2 feet or more away just fine, but anything printed and I have to tilt my head back a bit without the glasses.
It's been seriously humbling. Up to age 48 or so, my vision was perfect—better than 20/20. Then rapidly developing cataracts and everything went to fuck. I got by with store glasses for reading until my surgery, but having two different eyes ruined that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Man, I hate seeing my picture nowadays....I look old! You on the other hand look like you mean business, not sure I'd want to be one of your students!
I can relate to the vision thing, I had Lasik about 10 years ago, one eye for reading, other for distance. It was good for about 8+ years, but now it's wearing off and I'm back to wearing either bifocals (hate 'em) or readers in order to print.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:44pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's been seriously humbling. Up to age 48 or so, my vision was perfect—better than 20/20. Then rapidly developing cataracts and everything went to fuck. I got by with store glasses for reading until my surgery, but having two different eyes ruined that.
Yeah I was 20/20 up to around age 48 too. I really think staring at a computer screen has been a contributing factor. At least, I noticed a fairly sudden decline while pulling a few all-nighters doing some typing work. I’ll stick with the reading glasses for now though.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:55pm
Man, I hate seeing my picture nowadays....I look old! You on the other hand look like you mean business, not sure I'd want to be one of your students!
Ha! I'm the softest of touches (well, I'm a firm grader, but I'm the easiest guy to get an extension from).
I can relate to the vision thing, I had Lasik about 10 years ago, one eye for reading, other for distance. It was good for about 8+ years, but now it's wearing off and I'm back to wearing either bifocals (hate 'em) or readers in order to print.
It can wear off? My wife had it done, well, yeah, about eight years ago. Her vision is still good, tho (knock wood, I guess). My understanding is that my plastic lenses are good for life.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:02pm
Yeah I was 20/20 up to around age 48 too. I really think staring at a computer screen has been a contributing factor. At least, I noticed a fairly sudden decline while pulling a few all-nighters doing some typing work. I’ll stick with the reading glasses for now though.
The turning point for me was going back to grad school (endless reading) and sitting in front of a computer for 10 hours a day. Shit got wrecked.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Looking good mate. They suit you.

I've been wearing these for about a year or so now. Mainly for tv and reading and working on Clash stuff. ;)
Attachments
Marky D.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've been wearing these for about a year or so now. Mainly for tv and reading and working on Clash stuff. ;)
My semi-rim buddy! :cool:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

My vision was absolutely perfect until about 7 years ago, then I woke up one morning and thought there was something wrong with my phone as I couldn't focus on the text. I realised I had literally gone long-sighted overnight. I thought it was something that crept up on you but it was totally sudden with me. And this last year or so I'm having trouble stuff focusing on further away, like things on the television that you're obviously meant to see. Not a massive problem yet but I think I will need proper glasses soon, I'm getting by with reading glasses at the moment.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

My semi-rim buddy! :cool:
👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Fuck the glasses, what a bookcase! ;)
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:21pm
My vision was absolutely perfect until about 7 years ago, then I woke up one morning and thought there was something wrong with my phone as I couldn't focus on the text. I realised I had literally gone long-sighted overnight. I thought it was something that crept up on you but it was totally sudden with me. And this last year or so I'm having trouble stuff focusing on further away, like things on the television that you're obviously meant to see. Not a massive problem yet but I think I will need proper glasses soon, I'm getting by with reading glasses at the moment.
That's fucking weird that it'd be so instantaneous. You didn't have any kind of accident beforehand?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:24pm
Heston wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:21pm
That's fucking weird that it'd be so instantaneous. You didn't have any kind of accident beforehand?
No, just totally sudden, unless I hadn't noticed the deteriation.