so... what's your favorite picture of yourself?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: so... what's your favorite picture of yourself?

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2021, 1:44pm
Photo on 4-05-21 at 1.37 PM.jpg
Got my first proper pair of glasses today. The cataract surgery cleared that up, but it means one eye is permanently set at near distance and the other at far. Which makes the 3–7 foot range a bit of a challenge. So, proper prescription glasses. Plus lecturing on Zoom made me really self-conscious of my eyebrows, so I'm happy to hide them.

(Pre-emptive fuck you to anyone who wants to point out that I'm not smiling.)
Looking good mate. They suit you.

I've been wearing these for about a year or so now. Mainly for tv and reading and working on Clash stuff. ;)
Fuck the glasses, what a bookcase! ;)
🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:24pm
Heston wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:21pm
My vision was absolutely perfect until about 7 years ago, then I woke up one morning and thought there was something wrong with my phone as I couldn't focus on the text. I realised I had literally gone long-sighted overnight. I thought it was something that crept up on you but it was totally sudden with me. And this last year or so I'm having trouble stuff focusing on further away, like things on the television that you're obviously meant to see. Not a massive problem yet but I think I will need proper glasses soon, I'm getting by with reading glasses at the moment.
That's fucking weird that it'd be so instantaneous. You didn't have any kind of accident beforehand?
No, just totally sudden, unless I hadn't noticed the deteriation.
You'd think it was just a sudden awareness, but our bodies are time bombs, so who knows.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:35pm
Heston wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:24pm
Heston wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:21pm
My vision was absolutely perfect until about 7 years ago, then I woke up one morning and thought there was something wrong with my phone as I couldn't focus on the text. I realised I had literally gone long-sighted overnight. I thought it was something that crept up on you but it was totally sudden with me. And this last year or so I'm having trouble stuff focusing on further away, like things on the television that you're obviously meant to see. Not a massive problem yet but I think I will need proper glasses soon, I'm getting by with reading glasses at the moment.
That's fucking weird that it'd be so instantaneous. You didn't have any kind of accident beforehand?
No, just totally sudden, unless I hadn't noticed the deteriation.
You'd think it was just a sudden awareness, but our bodies are time bombs, so who knows.
Hello,

I had cataract surgery a few years ago - very easy, in and out, wear an eye shield at night for a few days. When they do the cataract surgery, they also do Lasik surgery free. I had worn contacts forever and suddenly didn't need them. I wear cheaters to read but otherwise, it's been great!

When I had my one eye done, I went back in to check on the eye. The nurse asked "How's your other eye?"
"Fine"
"Are you sure it doesn't get cloudy at night when you drive?"
"No"
"Are you sure it doesn't get cloudy?"
"Um, now that you mention it, it does get cloudy"

Bingo! Cataract and Lasik surgery on the other - $135 each eye for 20/20 vision.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
04 May 2021, 4:04pm
I had cataract surgery a few years ago - very easy, in and out, wear an eye shield at night for a few days. When they do the cataract surgery, they also do Lasik surgery free. I had worn contacts forever and suddenly didn't need them. I wear cheaters to read but otherwise, it's been great!

When I had my one eye done, I went back in to check on the eye. The nurse asked "How's your other eye?"
"Fine"
"Are you sure it doesn't get cloudy at night when you drive?"
"No"
"Are you sure it doesn't get cloudy?"
"Um, now that you mention it, it does get cloudy"

Bingo! Cataract and Lasik surgery on the other - $135 each eye for 20/20 vision.
Admittedly, I don't know the ins and outs of vision problems, but I assumed that cataract surgery would take care of other vision issues because it's replacing your messed up lenses with plastic ones. The downside is that you lose the ability to focus at different depths. Lasik fixing your lenses would mean you could focus in and out as normal. So unless your cataract surgery didn't replace your lenses, I'm curious what Lasik would do. (That said, I'm supposed to get some laser touch up on my eyes in the next few months. The nature of my cataracts was such that he couldn't fully clean things out, so a laser will blast out the last little bit.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:11pm
Sparky wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:55pm
Man, I hate seeing my picture nowadays....I look old! You on the other hand look like you mean business, not sure I'd want to be one of your students!
Ha! I'm the softest of touches (well, I'm a firm grader, but I'm the easiest guy to get an extension from).
I can relate to the vision thing, I had Lasik about 10 years ago, one eye for reading, other for distance. It was good for about 8+ years, but now it's wearing off and I'm back to wearing either bifocals (hate 'em) or readers in order to print.
It can wear off? My wife had it done, well, yeah, about eight years ago. Her vision is still good, tho (knock wood, I guess). My understanding is that my plastic lenses are good for life.
The doctor who did the Lasik for both my wife & I said it's good for around 10 years and the results start to diminish gradually. Ours offered a pre-paid "tune up" when this happens, but in his opinion it should only one time after the initial, apparently the layers of your cornea are thin and can only be cut or burned on by the laser a couple of times.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
04 May 2021, 4:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:11pm
Sparky wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:55pm
Man, I hate seeing my picture nowadays....I look old! You on the other hand look like you mean business, not sure I'd want to be one of your students!
Ha! I'm the softest of touches (well, I'm a firm grader, but I'm the easiest guy to get an extension from).
I can relate to the vision thing, I had Lasik about 10 years ago, one eye for reading, other for distance. It was good for about 8+ years, but now it's wearing off and I'm back to wearing either bifocals (hate 'em) or readers in order to print.
It can wear off? My wife had it done, well, yeah, about eight years ago. Her vision is still good, tho (knock wood, I guess). My understanding is that my plastic lenses are good for life.
The doctor who did the Lasik for both my wife & I said it's good for around 10 years and the results start to diminish gradually. Ours offered a pre-paid "tune up" when this happens, but in his opinion it should only one time after the initial, apparently the layers of your cornea are thin and can only be cut or burned on by the laser a couple of times.
Yikes. I'll have to find out whether my wife knows this.

edit: She informs me that she had a different, supposedly better type of laser surgery, whose effects are much more long-lasting. I dunno. It's all black magic to me.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Neil, Mark, you're looking well, guys.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 May 2021, 4:49pm
Cheers mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Silent Majority wrote:
Ditto.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Mimi wrote:
05 May 2021, 8:48am
Silent Majority wrote:
Ditto.
😘

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Ditto.
Tritto.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
05 May 2021, 10:09am
Mimi wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Ditto.
Tritto.
😘

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Heston wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2021, 1:44pm
Photo on 4-05-21 at 1.37 PM.jpg
Got my first proper pair of glasses today. The cataract surgery cleared that up, but it means one eye is permanently set at near distance and the other at far. Which makes the 3–7 foot range a bit of a challenge. So, proper prescription glasses. Plus lecturing on Zoom made me really self-conscious of my eyebrows, so I'm happy to hide them.

(Pre-emptive fuck you to anyone who wants to point out that I'm not smiling.)
Looking good mate. They suit you.

I've been wearing these for about a year or so now. Mainly for tv and reading and working on Clash stuff. ;)
Fuck the glasses, what a bookcase! ;)
Hello,

Seconded!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Photo on 27-05-21 at 1.42 PM.jpg
Photo on 27-05-21 at 1.42 PM.jpg (51.84 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Offered up because both Kory and I have brought up this band before. Finally pulled the trigger after finding a design I liked.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2021, 1:45pm
Photo on 27-05-21 at 1.42 PM.jpg
Offered up because both Kory and I have brought up this band before. Finally pulled the trigger after finding a design I liked.
I appreciate the That Thing You Do shirt.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.