Septic (Round) Ball

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Septic (Round) Ball

Post by Flex »

101Walterton wrote:So unless it is the Heat v the Clippers or the Yankees v the Doodles no one gives a shit?
Sort of. Different sports are more popular regionally as well and draw better rating. Football is really the only sport that draws massive ratings across the entire country. Baseball is a much better sport, mind, but it doesn't have the sustained interest across the country that football does.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
101Walterton wrote:So unless it is the Heat v the Clippers or the Yankees v the Doodles no one gives a shit?
Sort of. Different sports are more popular regionally as well and draw better rating. Football is really the only sport that draws massive ratings across the entire country. Baseball is a much better sport, mind, but it doesn't have the sustained interest across the country that football does.
Yes I think a lot of countries are like that. England is rugby league in north and rugby union and south and football all over. Australia is Aussie Rules in Victoria, rugby league in New South Wales and Queensland and cricket all over. New Zealand has rugby league in Papatoetoe and Otahuhu and rugby union everywhere else!!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Marky Dread wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:This is a septic (round) ball:

Any questions?
Yes, do you use a cue with it?
If you had said "wicket" or "bowling a leg break" I would've been duty-bound by my oath of Real 'Murcan citizenship to make fun of your countrymen's oral hygiene, cuisine, and rapturous infatuation with the Stone Roses for a period of not less than 10 consecutive days, beginning and ending at 7:00pm Eastern Standard Time...because Greenwich Mean Time is for pussies who need help fighting the Blitz. :naughty:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Any questions?
If you had said "wicket" or "bowling a leg break" I would've been duty-bound by my oath of Real 'Murcan citizenship to make fun of your countrymen's oral hygiene, cuisine, and rapturous infatuation with the Stone Roses for a period of not less than 10 consecutive days, beginning and ending at 7:00pm Eastern Standard Time...because Greenwich Mean Time is for pussies who need help fighting the Blitz. :naughty:
That's no way to bowl a maiden over!!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Any questions?
That's no way to bowl a maiden over!!
Wolter is the resident Maiden fan so I'll defer to him on this.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
That is the general thinking, but as I mentioned earlier, Cleveland vs. Oakland drew the highest NBA ratings since Michael Jordan's last playoff appearance. Of course that has to do with a megastar (Lebron) as Wolter noted and Oakland really appeals to Oakland-San Francisco-San Jose which covers about 8 million people.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
That is the general thinking, but as I mentioned earlier, Cleveland vs. Oakland drew the highest NBA ratings since Michael Jordan's last playoff appearance. Of course that has to do with a megastar (Lebron) as Wolter noted and Oakland really appeals to Oakland-San Francisco-San Jose which covers about 8 million people.
Another thing to note is that some people are MASSIVE fans of college teams instead of pro ones.

Jeez, sports are splintered even more than I realized.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
Another thing to note is that some people are MASSIVE fans of college teams instead of pro ones.

Jeez, sports are splintered even more than I realized.
Regionally, too. You couldn't pay people to attend an NBA game in Charlotte (well, the Bobcats have sucked their entire existence...but the Hornets were pretty good in the Alonzo Mourning/Larry Johnson era and still couldn't sell a ticket). And yet North Carolina is the college b'ball capital of the universe. Or Texas where high school football literally draws 95% of the population of little hick towns every week to fill a 10,000-seat stadium and gunfights break out over allegiances to the laundry 14-year-olds wear on the field.

New England has its own totally bizarre regional inversion with College Hockey, which outside of UConn basketball is the region's most popular college sport. And some eras when the Bruins or Celtics are a multi-year laughingstock and the fans stay away in droves, more popular than the pros. The annual Beanpot Tournament at Boston Garden between the 4 big universities residing inside the City of Boston is the single toughest ticket in town the whole year. No-lie. People go absolutely bugfuck over that thing like it's the wintertime Boston Marathon, and it's virtually unknown everywhere outside of Massachusetts except for far-flung alumni who get looked at weird by their peers because they're going bugfuck streaming online an exhibition tourney in college fucking ice soccer.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Rat Patrol wrote: Regionally, too. You couldn't pay people to attend an NBA game in Charlotte (well, the Bobcats have sucked their entire existence...but the Hornets were pretty good in the Alonzo Mourning/Larry Johnson era and still couldn't sell a ticket)
Grandmama!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Tangentially related:
USA beats France 82-0 at American Football world championships
http://nr.news-republic.com/Web/Article ... edditisfun

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:Tangentially related:
USA beats France 82-0 at American Football world championships
http://nr.news-republic.com/Web/Article ... edditisfun
And none of the US players are professionals.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Another DP

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

revbob wrote:Another DP
How popular are you?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Any questions?
Howzat?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Attended my first ever professional soccerball game, the Colorado Rapids vs D.C. United. 1-1 draw. Rapids blew the lead with about 15 minutes left to go and then spent the final 10 minutes engaging in some exciting attacks on the goal, but never hitting the mark. Mediocre outcome, but tons of fun. I'll be returning for more games next season (and maybe even catch another game as the MLS season winds to a close).

(The Rapids colors include burgundy rather than my accustomed-to claret, but it was close enough for government work). My buddy is a D.C. United fan, as per his jersey.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!