Oh Canada!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 11:30pm
Adorno argued that when we buy a concert ticket, we're not accessing an aesthetic experience, as we think we do, but are demonstrating status within an exploitative system. We are showing off our possession of capital to exchange for something that others cannot, demonstrated by its cost and scarcity. So, from that perspective, yes, people who buy food that is more expensive and of limited quantities and harder to access are exhibiting their social superiority. While I think that view can be too sweeping, it dovetails with Veblen's idea of conspicuous consumption. The upper class have nothing to prove and the lower class don't have the resources to worry about that, but the middle class are driven by showing what they aren't and what they want to be.
All has the ring of truth. I believe it was Karl Marx who suggested "hey, just try not to be a weird asshole about your stuff, bro." Good advice.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 11:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 11:30pm
Adorno argued that when we buy a concert ticket, we're not accessing an aesthetic experience, as we think we do, but are demonstrating status within an exploitative system. We are showing off our possession of capital to exchange for something that others cannot, demonstrated by its cost and scarcity. So, from that perspective, yes, people who buy food that is more expensive and of limited quantities and harder to access are exhibiting their social superiority. While I think that view can be too sweeping, it dovetails with Veblen's idea of conspicuous consumption. The upper class have nothing to prove and the lower class don't have the resources to worry about that, but the middle class are driven by showing what they aren't and what they want to be.
All has the ring of truth. I believe it was Karl Marx who suggested "hey, just try not to be a weird asshole about your stuff, bro." Good advice.
That guy had problems with his asshole, so that makes sense.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 7:45pm
I've come to be a pretty "better living through chemistry" thinker. I don't think the evidence that "artificial/processed" food is worse for you outside of what shows up in the nutrition facts is particularly compelling for the most part (outside of actual medical conditions, obviously). The sodium example is good. Im one of the millions of us have to watch sodium intake, but thats just a broadly true thing regardless of whether the food is processed or not.

If I'm being totally candid, a lot of anti-processed sentiment comes off as upper middle class way to shit on poorer people who rely on cheaper, quicker to prepare processed foods to get their calorie intake. Not here to be clear, but I read some Michael Pollan recently and he sure as shit came off that way. I definitely have people in my social circle who think they're virtuous because they buy all their shit from farmers markets and don't rely on processed foods and whatnot. And they all happen to have a bunch of disposable income and spare time. Weird coincidence.

Addendum: and I don't mean to sound like an advocate to just eat fast food all time. Eat your fruits and veggies!
Yes. Especially when food deserts make it extremely difficult for people to buy healthy food that could be less expensive. If you have to take two busses in the freezing cold to get to a grocery store, it is sure as shit easier to grab a box of Kraft mac and cheese at the corner store.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

JennyB wrote:
05 Dec 2023, 10:58am
Flex wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 7:45pm
I've come to be a pretty "better living through chemistry" thinker. I don't think the evidence that "artificial/processed" food is worse for you outside of what shows up in the nutrition facts is particularly compelling for the most part (outside of actual medical conditions, obviously). The sodium example is good. Im one of the millions of us have to watch sodium intake, but thats just a broadly true thing regardless of whether the food is processed or not.

If I'm being totally candid, a lot of anti-processed sentiment comes off as upper middle class way to shit on poorer people who rely on cheaper, quicker to prepare processed foods to get their calorie intake. Not here to be clear, but I read some Michael Pollan recently and he sure as shit came off that way. I definitely have people in my social circle who think they're virtuous because they buy all their shit from farmers markets and don't rely on processed foods and whatnot. And they all happen to have a bunch of disposable income and spare time. Weird coincidence.

Addendum: and I don't mean to sound like an advocate to just eat fast food all time. Eat your fruits and veggies!
Yes. Especially when food deserts make it extremely difficult for people to buy healthy food that could be less expensive. If you have to take two busses in the freezing cold to get to a grocery store, it is sure as shit easier to grab a box of Kraft mac and cheese at the corner store.
We avoid the aisles. The healthiest, least processed food is almost always on the parameter of the markets. As I near 50 I am finding that any and all carbs stick to my sides so I've been trying to adhere to high proteins/high fiber foods.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

GWAR lead singer Blöthar The Berserker had this to say about the impending trek: "The Invasion of Canada is nigh. We will start our campaign to bring befuddlement to the masses in the cultured and forward thinking American South, and from there, we will launch a coast-to-coast attack on the Great White North, leaving a swath of destruction not seen since the War of 1812.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/gwar-anno ... rican-tour

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

New tattoo shop opens in Ottawa. While the name is … suggestive … apparently the owner is Haitian, so I have no clue what's going on there.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 11:09am

New tattoo shop opens in Ottawa. While the name is … suggestive … apparently the owner is Haitian, so I have no clue what's going on there.
Who actually made the sign?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 12:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Not a clue, only that it's brand new and one would think that someone more interested in tattooing swastikas would be the owner.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 12:49pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Not a clue, only that it's brand new and one would think that someone more interested in tattooing swastikas would be the owner.
https://www.instagram.com/stonerinkkk/? ... r%2F&hl=ja

Tattoos you'll regret!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 2:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Tattoos you'll regret!
I just learned that tattoo aficionados for some reason spell ink with three k's.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 2:29pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Tattoos you'll regret!
I just learned that tattoo aficionados for some reason spell ink with three k's.
What kind of aficionados?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 8:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Tattoos you'll regret!
Tattoo artists and, I guess, people who get lots and lots of them. People who have active discussions about it.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 11:44pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Tattoos you'll regret!
Tattoo artists and, I guess, people who get lots and lots of them. People who have active discussions about it.
So, not Klan aficionados?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
07 Dec 2023, 1:19am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Tattoos you'll regret!
Seemingly not all, anyway. Being honest, tho, I am skeptical.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Dec 2023, 7:21am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
07 Dec 2023, 1:19am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Seemingly not all, anyway. Being honest, tho, I am skeptical.
It makes me as uncomfortable as when the Red Sox pitcher strikes out his 3rd guy in Fenway Park.