Oh Canada!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by revbob »

You was robbed!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 8:10am
You was robbed!
Totally. In all honesty, I could do a really good GWN call back in the day. No way my voice still has that flexibility.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 8:29am
revbob wrote:
You was robbed!
Totally. In all honesty, I could do a really good GWN call back in the day. No way my voice still has that flexibility.
Next Zoom call we will give you your chance.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 9:12am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 8:29am
revbob wrote:
You was robbed!
Next Zoom call we will give you your chance.
Not for all Olaf's lederhosen tuxedos.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 6:27am
weller259 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 12:34am
I have a special Canada eh-related thing to share with anyone interested. Back in 1982, there was a lunchtime live broadcast by the local FM radio station on Long Island featuring those two loveable hosers, Bob and Doug MacKenzie. I was home that day, it was late springtime or very early summer and I was slacking lol so I threw a tape in the cassette deck and recorded it. They didn't appear to have any material planned (lol) but its an interesting thing. Well, one day I was listening to it in the car and the tape got eaten. By the time I was able to extract it, some tape got ruined and I had no choice but to splice it as that was my only copy. So I apologize for the gap, nothing I could do about it 20 years later. I digitized it back in 2002 I think and I didn't know about FLAC at that time, so its a low bitrate MP3 but it sounds decent. I have never encountered another copy of this anywhere on these internets that didn't come from my tape but to be fair i've not tried to find another copy since about 2005 or so. lol. But if you want it, here it is.
Oh Canada indeed.

https://mega.nz/file/Og0EBawB#Tq-ITsFcm ... fqYYK2x5Og
Thanks, man! I loved Bob and Doug (and SCTV) back in the day and still do.

Fun fact: Back during the height of Bob and Doug's fame, my school had a Call of the Great White North (you know, the coo-loo-coo-coo thing) and I got second place. Pretty much everyone thought I should have won, but they gave it to a runt who couldn't reach the microphone, which made people laugh. Show business is bullshit.
Doc you're very welcome. This is a rare recording, one I don't think many people have ever heard so I am happy to share it with people who might actually enjoy it. I loved those guys too and SCTV as well, they did some outstanding stuff.
As for the Call Of The Great White North, I used to try and do it every so often with very pitiful results but it always made me laugh anyway, lol. I think next Zoom thingy we are going to have to ask you to do it for us, tuque optional.........
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

weller259 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 12:34am
I have a special Canada eh-related thing to share with anyone interested. Back in 1982, there was a lunchtime live broadcast by the local FM radio station on Long Island featuring those two loveable hosers, Bob and Doug MacKenzie. I was home that day, it was late springtime or very early summer and I was slacking lol so I threw a tape in the cassette deck and recorded it. They didn't appear to have any material planned (lol) but its an interesting thing. Well, one day I was listening to it in the car and the tape got eaten. By the time I was able to extract it, some tape got ruined and I had no choice but to splice it as that was my only copy. So I apologize for the gap, nothing I could do about it 20 years later. I digitized it back in 2002 I think and I didn't know about FLAC at that time, so its a low bitrate MP3 but it sounds decent. I have never encountered another copy of this anywhere on these internets that didn't come from my tape but to be fair i've not tried to find another copy since about 2005 or so. lol. But if you want it, here it is.
Oh Canada indeed.

https://mega.nz/file/Og0EBawB#Tq-ITsFcm ... fqYYK2x5Og
Thank you kind sir, I love hearing these guys!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Sparky wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 8:44pm
Thank you kind sir, I love hearing these guys!
You are very welcome, sir. I hope you get a few chuckles from it.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

The best Canadian rock bands of all time

https://www.yardbarker.com/entertainmen ... __37691537

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 7:25am

I'll concede that Rush has some weird critical cachet and that they strove to make "significant" music, so, regardless of being boring and often pretentious, fine. But what kind of genetic defective puts Nickelback on any kind of "best of" list? Even people who listen to Nickelback are knowingly filled with shame because of it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 8:07am
revbob wrote:

I'll concede that Rush has some weird critical cachet and that they strove to make "significant" music, so, regardless of being boring and often pretentious, fine. But what kind of genetic defective puts Nickelback on any kind of "best of" list? Even people who listen to Nickelback are knowingly filled with shame because of it.
I will concede there were a few decent bands on there but so much horrible case in point.

Also I had no Idea Hoy was Canadian

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 8:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I will concede there were a few decent bands on there but so much horrible case in point.

Yeah, there were a couple bands there I was good with—probably not the same as you—but, yeah, groups like Saga or Triumph? That says you're struggling to come up with 20 and don't want to try harder.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 8:29am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yeah, there were a couple bands there I was good with—probably not the same as you—but, yeah, groups like Saga or Triumph? That says you're struggling to come up with 20 and don't want to try harder.
I wont judge you on your love of the Bare Naked Lady's.

I would be ok with some Voivod I suppose and BTO and the Guess Who certainly had some good tunes in their day. Interesting that they didn't include Canadian bad boy rocker Bryan Adams though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 8:35am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 8:29am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I wont judge you on your love of the Bare Naked Lady's.
I have such a visceral loathing of them that goes beyond what they probably merit.
I would be ok with some Voivod I suppose and BTO and the Guess Who certainly had some good tunes in their day. Interesting that they didn't include Canadian bad boy rocker Bryan Adams though.
Yeah, that is surprising given that he was hyped as some kind of Bruce Springsteen/Tom Petty of the tundra, and found success in the US. I'll even give him a bit of a nod for sneaking a smutty song onto the charts with "Summer of 69."

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Thanks for sharing. These guys were great characters in their time.

It's as much of a comment on Long Island.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:

I love that Nickelback was immediately followed by Skinny Puppy.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy