Oh Canada!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 8:45pm
Yeah I think it's great lake status was withdrawn but it still enjoys some benefits of that status if Im not mistaken.
It's a slippery slope. What's next, Lake Memphremagog? Lake Winnipesaukee?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 2:33pm
revbob wrote:
Yeah I think it's great lake status was withdrawn but it still enjoys some benefits of that status if Im not mistaken.
I think in order to be truly great a lake must have a cryptid.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 7:20pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 2:33pm
revbob wrote:
I think in order to be truly great a lake must have a cryptid.
Hot diggity damn, Saskatchewan's in the running!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_Lake_Monster
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

For extra Canadianness, they're talking about the Leafs and medicare.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

It’s Time for Players to Tackle the Great Canadian Football Rip-Off

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/01/canadian ... s-ambrosie

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 8:51am

I had no idea the league was so profitable. I assumed that low player salaries was, more or less, a reflection that the league was pretty small potatoes in the world of pro sports. Organize and strike, boys.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 9:38am
revbob wrote:

I had no idea the league was so profitable. I assumed that low player salaries was, more or less, a reflection that the league was pretty small potatoes in the world of pro sports. Organize and strike, boys.
Yeah it was a surprise to me too because while it does get some TV time here in the US, it is never really discussed nor written up in the papers. Hell Montreal is closer than Foxboro but people in general dont travel up to see the Alouettes like they did the Expos or the Habs.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 10:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yeah it was a surprise to me too because while it does get some TV time here in the US, it is never really discussed nor written up in the papers. Hell Montreal is closer than Foxboro but people in general dont travel up to see the Alouettes like they did the Expos or the Habs.
The Roughriders are big in Saskatchewan, but they're the only pro team in the province. Ottawa's on its third franchise, but seems to be doing well (pre-pandemic, anyway). Montreal's burned thru a few teams. And the Argos in Toronto are pretty minor. The US game has the superior athletes, but, structurally, the Canadian is better, imo (apart from getting a point for missing a field goal—that's fucking stupid).

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 11:33am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

The Roughriders are big in Saskatchewan, but they're the only pro team in the province. Ottawa's on its third franchise, but seems to be doing well (pre-pandemic, anyway). Montreal's burned thru a few teams. And the Argos in Toronto are pretty minor. The US game has the superior athletes, but, structurally, the Canadian is better, imo (apart from getting a point for missing a field goal—that's fucking stupid).
Wait, you get a point for a missed field goal? That’s pretty funny. :lol:

So you could win a game by a single point on a last-second missed field goal?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 11:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

If it doesn't clear the endzone, the defence can run it out or punt it back, but yeah. Rewarding failure goes against sports logic,* so it's a glaring flaw in the rules of the Canadian game.

* I hate the dropped third strike rule in baseball for the same reason.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 12:26pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

If it doesn't clear the endzone, the defence can run it out or punt it back, but yeah. Rewarding failure goes against sports logic,* so it's a glaring flaw in the rules of the Canadian game.

Wow, I had no idea. I remember something about 3 downs instead of 4, but I don’t think I’ve ever watched a CFL game. Kind of surprising, being right on the border, but it gets pretty much zero coverage here.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 1:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Wow, I had no idea. I remember something about 3 downs instead of 4, but I don’t think I’ve ever watched a CFL game. Kind of surprising, being right on the border, but it gets pretty much zero coverage here.
Yes dropped 3rd strike rule is dumb. You struck out got sit the fuck down.

As for CFL, it's had its strongest coverage in the US during NFL strikes I think. And there's been a handful of US based teams.

The 3 downs seems to lend itself to less interesting play but Ive had limited exposure .

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

The 1 point rule can lead to some insanely fun situations. See below:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 2:56pm
The 3 downs seems to lend itself to less interesting play but Ive had limited exposure .
Three downs and a bigger field encourages more passing, which is better than the boring old run-it-on-first-and-maybe-second-down play of the NFL (tho the NFL is more pass-oriented now than it used to be). The bigger field also tends to encourage more mobile QBs. The CFL has always generated more points per game than the NFL, so anything with less punting is a good thing.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

drowninghere wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 3:22pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The 1 point rule can lead to some insanely fun situations. See below:

:shock: Yeah, that sequence was entertaining for sure. Just a completely different game, in certain respects, compared to American football. Like I said, there is little exposure to CFL here, so it’s mostly thought of as 3-down football where I live. I do find all forms of football (gridiron, rugby, Australian rules, soccer, etc.) to be potentially enjoyable, even if my knowledge outside of American football is limited. My local friends think I’m a liberal soccer weirdo because I enjoy watching international competition like the World Cup or Olympic soccer, but I am still learning about the game. With any of the various forms, the more you know about the rules, the more interesting it becomes, as you can anticipate different scenarios better and get more enjoyment out of the drama they create.