The Job Search Woes Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: The Job Search Woes Thread

Post by Mimi »

:meh:

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

This takes a lot of mental and emotional energy.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Mimi wrote:This takes a lot of mental and emotional energy.
WOrd.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Wolter wrote:
WOrd.
Like, I applied for an education job I knew I wasn't really qualified for but would have worked my ass off to figure it out. Reject. Now I want to cry. Fuck.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Mimi wrote:
Wolter wrote:
WOrd.
Like, I applied for an education job I knew I wasn't really qualified for but would have worked my ass off to figure it out. Reject. Now I want to cry. Fuck.
I'm not even hearing back from any of the ones I've sent out for. It's fucking demoralizing.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Wolter wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Wolter wrote:
WOrd.
I'm not even hearing back from any of the ones I've sent out for. It's fucking demoralizing.
We need a beer.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Mimi wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Wolter wrote:
WOrd.
We need a beer.
Word, again.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
Wolter wrote:
WOrd.

Rejection unfortunately is part of the game hang in there. Was this a tech position at a school that you applied for?

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Wolter wrote:
WOrd.

Rejection unfortunately is part of the game hang in there. Was this a tech position at a school that you applied for?
It was an assessment writer and an English language arts researcher thingy for K-12 online learning.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Wolter wrote:
WOrd.

It was an assessment writer and an English language arts researcher thingy for K-12 online learning.
How the hell does on qualify for something like that? In a lot of places k - 12 is a pretty closed community. I know a lot of people locally in that game and if you aren't a teacher you aren't shit. And they all know someone who would be a great fit for jobs like that. Short of becoming a teacher, getting in as a tech might be easier if you want to be in that environment. I come from a long line of teachers.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Wolter wrote: WOrd.

How the hell does on qualify for something like that? In a lot of places k - 12 is a pretty closed community. I know a lot of people locally in that game and if you aren't a teacher you aren't shit. And they all know someone who would be a great fit for jobs like that. Short of becoming a teacher, getting in as a tech might be easier if you want to be in that environment. I come from a long line of teachers.
An old friend recommended it so I thought I'd give it a try. With my background in writing, I thought I'd stand a chance. But you're right about the education field--it's a hard field to break into.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I know the feeling well. Got laid off in February of 2009 and was trying to find work in the construction industry. I busted my ass off every day before flukishly getting a job six months later. I had just run out of unemployment benefits and was going to have to move...somewhere. Anyway, my only advice is be active every day in your hunt, but take time for yourself. You can't click refresh on the craigslist want ads all day long. I went out and was working at the food bank twice a week which made me feel less worthless.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

matedog wrote:I know the feeling well. Got laid off in February of 2009 and was trying to find work in the construction industry. I busted my ass off every day before flukishly getting a job six months later. I had just run out of unemployment benefits and was going to have to move...somewhere. Anyway, my only advice is be active every day in your hunt, but take time for yourself. You can't click refresh on the craigslist want ads all day long. I went out and was working at the food bank twice a week which made me feel less worthless.
He's right. You have to make the most of your time. In my case I didn't go to the food bank. I went to the bar at 10:30 AM, got lit, and beat up sleeping hobos.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
matedog wrote:I know the feeling well. Got laid off in February of 2009 and was trying to find work in the construction industry. I busted my ass off every day before flukishly getting a job six months later. I had just run out of unemployment benefits and was going to have to move...somewhere. Anyway, my only advice is be active every day in your hunt, but take time for yourself. You can't click refresh on the craigslist want ads all day long. I went out and was working at the food bank twice a week which made me feel less worthless.
He's right. You have to make the most of your time. In my case I didn't go to the food bank. I went to the bar at 10:30 AM, got lit, and beat up sleeping hobos.
99% of my unemployment went to rent and food, so I didn't make it to the bar much. If I did, I usually downed a two-buck Chuck beforehand so as to not buy much when I went out. Assaulting sleeping hobos costs $0 though, so that works.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.