The Job Search Woes Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: The Job Search Woes Thread

Post by Mimi »

BitterTom wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 4:10pm
Mimi wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 9:23am
BitterTom wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 4:07pm
Kory wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 5:02pm
BitterTom wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 3:30pm
Need a change in career. Need something where I can actually climb a ladder as opposed to staying in the same crappy situation for the next 40 years. Feel I've just wasted the last 8 years since graduating uni going from the same nowhere job to the next. Money is far from the most important thing in the world but things aren't exactly great and no signs of that changing unless I get the bollocks to change career and find something new. No idea where to start.
I was in this situation about 7 years ago, it was working retail, living in agony trying to figure out what I wanted to take the risk on going back to school for. Among the options were zoology, sommelier school, and when I got desperate, even stuff like real estate. I had been doing design on the side for a couple years and a friend suggested that I just do that, which was like a light bulb moment. I suspect if you keep it in mind, you'll have a similar situation.

If you want the good life, I recommend going to school for coding/programming, though. It's where the bucks are and once you're good at it, it's pretty fun and easy.
Thanks Kory, like I said to 101, I'm thinking of an accountancy course, been ok with numbers so something I may look into. Good to hear though that someone else has been through exactly what I'm feeling, just feels never ending though it'll get there.
You've inspired me. I'm going to enroll in an online accounting course. I was going to do it over the summer, but talked myself out of it. Now I wish I had done it. I would have been so much further ahead. This gives me something to aim for and it's a legitimate reason to cut back my hours.
Yep that's been me, been on and off the idea so many times. I need to do it though or things will never change. Best of luck Mimi!
You, too.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 9:37am
Mimi wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 9:23am
You've inspired me. I'm going to enroll in an online accounting course. I was going to do it over the summer, but talked myself out of it. Now I wish I had done it. I would have been so much further ahead. This gives me something to aim for and it's a legitimate reason to cut back my hours.
I'm rooting for you, M. :approve:
Same here!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Writing cover letters kinda sucks.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 8:28pm
Remember that the reader won't spend more than 20 seconds reading it. You can't get the job from the letter, just an interview. It's tough not to include too much information, but once you have it down, it's entirely recyclable.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 8:41pm
Mimi wrote:
Remember that the reader won't spend more than 20 seconds reading it. You can't get the job from the letter, just an interview. It's tough not to include too much information, but once you have it down, it's entirely recyclable.
I came up with a pretty good format a few years back, got me some interviews I guess. It was 3 short paragraphs.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
You can’t get the job from the covering letter but you can lose it!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 8:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Precisely. And revbob's length is about right. Highlight your interest, the most pertinent part of the c.v., and why you'd be a great candidate. The best advice I ever got about that stuff—in my case, applying to grad school—was that your main goal is not getting thrown into the fuck off pile. These people are looking for reasons to quickly whittle down the pile of candidates they actually have to read thru. Survive the cover letter stage to get to the c.v., and then get to the interview. It's easier said than done, but appreciating that the reader is looking for a way to simplify the elimination process helps shape the writing.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 9:07pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 8:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Precisely. And revbob's length is about right. Highlight your interest, the most pertinent part of the c.v., and why you'd be a great candidate. The best advice I ever got about that stuff—in my case, applying to grad school—was that your main goal is not getting thrown into the fuck off pile. These people are looking for reasons to quickly whittle down the pile of candidates they actually have to read thru. Survive the cover letter stage to get to the c.v., and then get to the interview. It's easier said than done, but appreciating that the reader is looking for a way to simplify the elimination process helps shape the writing.
Yes, lay it out correctly and be accurate - never make a spelling mistake.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I usually tailor my letter to the job (since I don't have a career that has consistency).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 7:32am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I usually tailor my letter to the job (since I don't have a career that has consistency).
Yeah that's pretty key. Best of luck.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
You probably don't have to do much more than change a paragraph per version. I had three different cover letters that I could recycle depending on the job type (rock star, adventurer, pro wrestler).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 7:58am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
You probably don't have to do much more than change a paragraph per version. I had three different cover letters that I could recycle depending on the job type (rock star, adventurer, pro wrestler).
Same here. 3 paragraphs: Intro to self, interest in job, thank you for your time and i look forward to hearing from you.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 12:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 7:58am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Same here. 3 paragraphs: Intro to self, interest in job, thank you for your time and i look forward to hearing from you.
That's how it's done.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

:mrgreen:
Attachments
58d922a5319d2226b540eb03c0e65c26.jpg
58d922a5319d2226b540eb03c0e65c26.jpg (67.07 KiB) Viewed 2462 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing