The Job Search Woes Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Job Search Woes Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 1:08pm
BitterTom wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 5:00am
Kory wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 5:38pm
BitterTom wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 5:33pm
The place I work has another shop a few miles up the road, they are looking for a new butchery manager, I may be underqualified but want to show an interest, to show I want progression into a managerial role. How would you say is best to go around this?
Do you have a supervisor that you have a good rapport with? I would consider just asking them for some details on it and then bunging out a resume if they are supportive.
Cheers mate, hoping to have a chat on Friday with him. Funnily enough I've been asked to work at the other place Saturday as they're short staffed, will see how that goes.
That's your in right there! Impress those bastards and you're on easy street.
Familiarity is so damned important. I always tell students thinking about grad school to make contact, even if via email with people you want to work with. Assuming you don't act like a complete ass with them (not impossible within the socially challenged world of academia), becoming a known commodity is immense. Given that any application process is largely about eliminating applicants—meaning not even having to consider their paperwork because these people would rather do anything but read applications—being a name that stands out is gold. Get to the short list any way you can, and then it's on you.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 1:19pm
Kory wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Kory wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
The place I work has another shop a few miles up the road, they are looking for a new butchery manager, I may be underqualified but want to show an interest, to show I want progression into a managerial role. How would you say is best to go around this?
Do you have a supervisor that you have a good rapport with? I would consider just asking them for some details on it and then bunging out a resume if they are supportive.
Cheers mate, hoping to have a chat on Friday with him. Funnily enough I've been asked to work at the other place Saturday as they're short staffed, will see how that goes.
Familiarity is so damned important. I always tell students thinking about grad school to make contact, even if via email with people you want to work with. Assuming you don't act like a complete ass with them (not impossible within the socially challenged world of academia), becoming a known commodity is immense. Given that any application process is largely about eliminating applicants—meaning not even having to consider their paperwork because these people would rather do anything but read applications—being a name that stands out is gold. Get to the short list any way you can, and then it's on you.
Wise words

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 1:19pm
Kory wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Kory wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Thank you, certainly will take this on board, will make the best impression I can Saturday.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

well, our long national nightmare is over. i'm taking a job as the outreach director for a non-profit that's advocating for the implementation of our state's water management plan. It's contract work and I can still do a little other consulting work on the side so this is a good step in the right direction career-wise for me and with all my various contracts and such put together I should be ahead of where I was salary-wise a year ago. *phew*

Just took dang near a year. I am not a fan of being on the employment hunt.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 5:46pm
well, our long national nightmare is over. i'm taking a job as the outreach director for a non-profit that's advocating for the implementation of our state's water management plan. It's contract work and I can still do a little other consulting work on the side so this is a good step in the right direction career-wise for me and with all my various contracts and such put together I should be ahead of where I was salary-wise a year ago. *phew*

Congrats, man! I pleased as punch (whatever that means) for you. Will you be able to use your oversized novelty scissors in this job?
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:

Wow, I forgot (my apologies) about your situation. Glad to hear you're back to work.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:

!0 Points to Flex House!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I've just spent 3 hours filling out an application form for a job at work, and it is pretty good, even if I say so myself. I find I can bullshit for England on these forms but it's the interview part where I usually cock up, they always ask me questions I don't expect. I really want this job as it's four grand a year more than what I'm getting now. So any interview tips appreciated.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 6:43pm
I've just spent 3 hours filling out an application form for a job at work, and it is pretty good, even if I say so myself. I find I can bullshit for England on these forms but it's the interview part where I usually cock up, they always ask me questions I don't expect. I really want this job as it's four grand a year more than what I'm getting now. So any interview tips appreciated.
if you get nervous, just picture Doc naked.

other than that, i dunno if i ever became a really good interviewee in the last year - it's just fundamentally one of the my least comfortable contexts to engage with other people in - but a few tips I picked up:

1. strategize ahead of time what questions you anticipate could be asked. to your point about getting thrown curveballs, go over what may come up.
2. ancillary to that, think of a couple generic responses you can use to pivot back to one of your strengths if you get questions that you don't know the answer to. It's okay to say you don't know something or need to learn more, but make sure to back it up with some kind of experience you do have adapting on the job or growing in your work.
3. Always come up with a couple of questions to ask the interviewer. You want to give the impression you're evaluating them as much as they are you. I always try to come up with questions that would give me insight into how the work environment operates - it indicates you're thinking about how you'll fit into the work environment and "see" yourself in the job.
4. make sure you don't look like shit
5. be sure to get the name and contact info of everyone you interview with, and be sure to send a follow up thank-you email. you can use that opportunity to relay a tidbit that you may have forgotten to bring up in the interview or follow-up on an answer to a question you felt you could have said more on.
6. have copies of your resume (and cover letter) on hand for the interviewer. they probably have it, but if not for some reason you'll look likely johnny on the spot for having copies with you. also take a little notebook or something to take (occasional) notes in. it conveys you're engaged in the interview and i use it to help relieve my nerves/have something for my hands to hold onto. just don't focus on note-taking at the expense of talking directly with the interviewer. this is to complement your actions, not be what you mostly do.
7. again, and i can't emphasize this enough, picture Doc naked\

Addendum: 8. Oh yeah, this is a big one. Look at the job application to see what they're looking for. Pick out like 3 examples from your own experience that you can relate to convey that you have the qualities they want in an employee. Make sure to wedge those examples into the interview however you need to. So if someone wants someone "adaptable" make sure you're ready to explain that time on the job when you had to help lead the department during a management change (or whatever the fuck).
Last edited by Flex on 11 Mar 2020, 6:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pex Lives!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
I haven't any interview tips aside from the overplayed "be yourself" just wondering what you're going for?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 6:54pm
Heston wrote:

other than that, i dunno if i ever became a really good interviewee in the last year - it's just fundamentally one of the my least comfortable contexts to engage with other people in - but a few tips I picked up:

1. strategize ahead of time what questions you anticipate could be asked. to your point about getting thrown curveballs, go over what may come up.
2. ancillary to that, think of a couple generic responses you can use to pivot back to one of your strengths if you get questions that you don't know the answer to. It's okay to say you don't know something or need to learn more, but make sure to back it up with some kind of experience you do have adapting on the job or growing in your work.
3. Always come up with a couple of questions to ask the interviewer. You want to give the impression you're evaluating them as much as they are you. I always try to come up with questions that would give me insight into how the work environment operates - it indicates you're thinking about how you'll fit into the work environment and "see" yourself in the job.
4. make sure you don't look like shit
5. be sure to get the name and contact info of everyone you interview with, and be sure to send a follow up thank-you email. you can use that opportunity to relay a tidbit that you may have forgotten to bring up in the interview or follow-up on an answer to a question you felt you could have said more on.
6. have copies of your resume (and cover letter) on hand for the interviewer. they probably have it, but if not for some reason you'll look likely johnny on the spot for having copies with you. also take a little notebook or something to take (occasional) notes in. it conveys you're engaged in the interview and i use it to help relieve my nerves/have something for my hands to hold onto. just don't focus on note-taking at the expense of talking directly with the interviewer. this is to complement your actions, not be what you mostly do.
7. again, and i can't emphasize this enough, picture Doc naked
Thanks for that Flex, much appreciated, especially #2. I will refer back to this if I get the interview.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 6:55pm
Heston wrote:
I haven't any interview tips aside from the overplayed "be yourself" just wondering what you're going for?
It's a job in environmental enforcement, taking people to court for dumping shit basically.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 6:59pm
It's a job in environmental enforcement, taking people to court for dumping shit basically.
ah, law enforcement. tell them about how you managed through the IMCT "blow on the pie" crisis of the... whenever that was.

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 7:01pm
Heston wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 6:59pm
ah, law enforcement. tell them about how you managed through the IMCT "blow on the pie" crisis of the... whenever that was.
"Yeah, there's this music forum I go on..."

Possibly the worst opening line in an interview ever?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 6:54pm
Indeed, getting the most impressive erection of his life will certainly aid him.

I've never especially interviewed that well because I'm not gifted in that kind of bullshit, but:
This is a really good one. A few questions that I've asked in the past are:
1) Can you give me an example of what you regard is your (either the company or the interviewer, if they're also the office manager/boss) greatest success?
2) What was one of the most trying times for the organization and how was it addressed? How successful was this solution?
3) How do you promote a sense of teamwork or camaraderie?

While the answers matter, look for body language when they answer. Do they appear candid? Resentful? You might not even want the job at that point. I had an interview where I was offered the job, but the boss ran down the support staff, which I interpreted as a huge red flag and turned them down.

A question: Is work culture in the UK such that you're expected to be honest or bullshitty in your interviews. We had a friend from Sweden who struggled at job interviews, but we found out that she was operating from a Swedish perspective where full honesty was expected. So her blunt self-appraisal of her weak areas hurt her.

Finally: