Mark E Smith RIP

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Mark E Smith RIP

Post by JohnS »

Goddamit - I know this news is already up an running there, but, sorry, for me this is a big event which deserves more than a 'latest instalment' in the Death Pool thread.
MES gave my brother's band (Evil Blizzard) a huge leg up in recent years by bigging them up them up in interviews, and inviting them to support The Fall on as many UK dates as they could make. EB may to be to everyon'es taste, but for that alone he's a legend in these quarters.
To say nothing of the fun and exuberance and exasperation(!) that he brought to my ears, as a young schoolkid listening to the John Peel show (of course) c. 1979 onwards. He made fans of his music from all over the world, but if you were growing up in the North West of England at the time, it gave you an extra foothold into exploring the Wonderful and Frightening World of The Fall.
God Damn It. (Take 2)
Last edited by JohnS on 24 Jan 2018, 11:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: Mark E Smith RIP

Post by Inder »

Terribly sad news.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

RIP

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 7:13am
Because of course: http://www.nme.com/news/music/mark-e-sm ... wl-2239220
How strange that I found that touching.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 7:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 7:13am
Because of course: http://www.nme.com/news/music/mark-e-sm ... wl-2239220
How strange that I found that touching.
It does honour the chaos he nurtured in his life, so, yeah, I agree.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We would like to thank family, friends and fans for all their kind words, condolences and memories about our brother Mark.

Also, the N.H.S and staff who treated Mark throughout and Mark’s partner Pam who loved, cared and cherished our brother.

Mark fought a long and hard battle after his diagnosis of terminal lung and kidney cancer. He took every treatment going, which could be brutal at times and left Mark with some horrible side effects. Mark was such a strong man and hated letting his fans down and tried to carry on regardless against all advice.

Mark had a great life and loved and lived it to the full and always by his own rules and we, as his sisters were privileged to be part of it too.

Mark is at peace now and pain free, but we, his three sisters have been left heartbroken and will miss our big brother very much.

Barbara, Suzanne and Caroline.
https://thefall.xyz/2018/02/12/statement/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

For such a horrible prick, this is a real hard one for me.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 6:46pm
I know. I'm rarely affected by the deaths of someone I don't actually know, and even tho MES was a nasty bastard to so many people, there was a spark there that was inspiring. Knowing that it's gone makes everything a bit lonelier.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 7:01pm
Silent Majority wrote:
I know. I'm rarely affected by the deaths of someone I don't actually know, and even tho MES was a nasty bastard to so many people, there was a spark there that was inspiring. Knowing that it's gone makes everything a bit lonelier.
Right. Excellent word choices there. He was inspiring, with his mad dedication and its lonelier for freaks like us because we haven't got the Fall to visit any more. Smith took you into a world that was uniquely his own with his creative work. It's not in the same universe as other music and doesn't fulfil the same function. I said on twitter, "The Fall takes you into your great grandmother's drawing room, Victorian in decoration. You look out the window, venetian blinds obscuring your view. There's a fight in the pub over the road and you can't trust whatever it is that's brawling."

He was more like a great science fiction novelist than a typical rock 'n' roll frontman. There was an emotional and intellectual there there which meant his stuff mattered.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 7:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 7:01pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Right. Excellent word choices there. He was inspiring, with his mad dedication and its lonelier for freaks like us because we haven't got the Fall to visit any more. Smith took you into a world that was uniquely his own with his creative work. It's not in the same universe as other music and doesn't fulfil the same function. I said on twitter, "The Fall takes you into your great grandmother's drawing room, Victorian in decoration. You look out the window, venetian blinds obscuring your view. There's a fight in the pub over the road and you can't trust whatever it is that's brawling.
Take a guy who had no actual musical ability and couldn't sing in a conventional manner, blitz thru musicians like Tac Tacs, yet still produce great quality and quantity for four decades. He was a freak, that seeming autonomous, self-generating artist. A high modern ideal performing in a mass medium. To borrow a line, he was a hip priest.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

When searching for a picture of the MES/Joy Division shirt, I stumbled on this and laughed. Even just selling to those with a legitimate claim to wearing it could net a tidy profit.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 12:33pm
When searching for a picture of the MES/Joy Division shirt, I stumbled on this and laughed. Even just selling to those with a legitimate claim to wearing it could net a tidy profit.
Sure, you'd clothe half of Europe.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

That...improves business? :scared: