Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 8:20pm
Game 2 today and another win. I made the game ending catch in right. Right after missing a sliding catch where the ball ricocheted off my knee. Thankfully that one ricocheted to the infield. I made several good plays in right but they kept trying to sneak them in, sure I missed a few but caught many more than I missed. I still have the legs to run down a ball but my arm is shot for throwing more than like 100 feet. Had a few good hits too single/double would have had an easy triple but their CF was really good and ran down a ball that most CFs would have been waving at.

Fun times
You're like the non-glass Stanton!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 8:48pm
revbob wrote:
Game 2 today and another win. I made the game ending catch in right. Right after missing a sliding catch where the ball ricocheted off my knee. Thankfully that one ricocheted to the infield. I made several good plays in right but they kept trying to sneak them in, sure I missed a few but caught many more than I missed. I still have the legs to run down a ball but my arm is shot for throwing more than like 100 feet. Had a few good hits too single/double would have had an easy triple but their CF was really good and ran down a ball that most CFs would have been waving at.

Fun times
I gotta wonder sometimes is it that the teams shut these guys down to protect the investment or are they just such finely tuned machines that a small tweak of a muscle throws everything off

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 7:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Fun times
I gotta wonder sometimes is it that the teams shut these guys down to protect the investment or are they just such finely tuned machines that a small tweak of a muscle throws everything off
Both, I'd say. As physically blessed as these weirdos are, everything has to be running in sync at that level of competition, and pushing thru can make things worse. So whether it's physical or psychological, it's better to stop and allow a reset. As much a creature of routine as I am, I suspect I'd be uncomfortable by the level of repetition these guys lead their lives and how untracked they can get by just a small thing.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 8:26am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Fun times
Both, I'd say. As physically blessed as these weirdos are, everything has to be running in sync at that level of competition, and pushing thru can make things worse. So whether it's physical or psychological, it's better to stop and allow a reset. As much a creature of routine as I am, I suspect I'd be uncomfortable by the level of repetition these guys lead their lives and how untracked they can get by just a small thing.
A Ferari is nice but you dont use it to haul your trash to the dump

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 8:59am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Fun times
A Ferari is nice but you dont use it to haul your trash to the dump
If I was Bezos rich I would. Get a custom-made Ferrari garbage truck with the biggest set of truck nuts, and then soak in the envy.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Fun times
Hello,

Most people think high level/elite athletes kind of rolled out of bed and were great. The majority don't realize (or appreciate) how much training/repetition is required. I've been really lucky to have worked with some elite athletes (and I guess I was elite back in the day, as the kids say) and you won't become elite unless you are prepared and willing to knock a ball against a wall for hours every day of a Summer for years. Although he has his detractors, there is quite a bit of truth to Ericsson's 10,000 hour guideline (not rule as some mis-state) and the idea of deliberate practice.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sunday softball started today. 2 for 4 single, triple and 3 beers. A pretty good game.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Haven’t ridden my bike much since the 90s, other than a half mile here and there. Mostly to drop off or pick up my car when it needs work. But I’ve made a point of getting out each of the last 4 days for a bike ride. I’ve covered 37.8 miles over 4 days, in 3 hours and 26 minutes of riding. That’s about 11mph on average. Not particularly fast, but it’s my old mountain bike I got in 1987, with temps around 85F and 15mph wind each day. Plus I’ve been wearing long khaki pants, leather shoes, and usually a Clash or BAD t-shirt. Just a leisurely stroll around the bike paths along the Niagara River and Erie Canal. Still at the point where my legs are a bit wobbly after each ride, but it feels good. I’m going to try to get out each day for the rest of the summer at least, weather permitting. Trying to work off about 10 pounds of covid weight.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kimmelweck wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 9:18pm
Haven’t ridden my bike much since the 90s, other than a half mile here and there. Mostly to drop off or pick up my car when it needs work. But I’ve made a point of getting out each of the last 4 days for a bike ride. I’ve covered 37.8 miles over 4 days, in 3 hours and 26 minutes of riding. That’s about 11mph on average. Not particularly fast, but it’s my old mountain bike I got in 1987, with temps around 85F and 15mph wind each day. Plus I’ve been wearing long khaki pants, leather shoes, and usually a Clash or BAD t-shirt. Just a leisurely stroll around the bike paths along the Niagara River and Erie Canal. Still at the point where my legs are a bit wobbly after each ride, but it feels good. I’m going to try to get out each day for the rest of the summer at least, weather permitting. Trying to work off about 10 pounds of covid weight.
Hello,

Well done! Good luck!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

gkbill wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 9:30pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Hello,

Well done! Good luck!
Thanks Bill, I appreciate it. There are some nice bike paths along the water here, and a few disused train tracks that have been converted to bike paths over the last few years too. Hoping to finally make use of them.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 9:58pm
gkbill wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 9:30pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Hello,

Well done! Good luck!
Thanks Bill, I appreciate it. There are some nice bike paths along the water here, and a few disused train tracks that have been converted to bike paths over the last few years too. Hoping to finally make use of them.
The abandoned train tracks that are now bike trails sound like a nice scenic ride. Probably see a fair amount of wildlife out there as well.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
That's excellent news. Just grind out the miles—improved stamina will come and the wobbliness disappear.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

PNW heatwave means my first break from the regular exercise routine since March 2020. Hope it ends soon and I don't gain too much weight in the interim. Going to do some planks, crunches, and lifting, but can't go the whole mile. Will probably drop some calories to compensate.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 2:21pm
PNW heatwave means my first break from the regular exercise routine since March 2020. Hope it ends soon and I don't gain too much weight in the interim. Going to do some planks, crunches, and lifting, but can't go the whole mile. Will probably drop some calories to compensate.
Who needs to move to Arizona?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 2:48pm
Kory wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 2:21pm
Who needs to move to Arizona?
Well this is a very wet heat (...ladies), so some might describe it as a worse kind of hell.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc