Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 6:57pm

Do you go somewhere or do it at home.

I was thinking of youtubing some tai chi
I do a class at the Y or we have an old mill nearby with a studio. I think you could get by with the youtube vids or I am sure there is an app you could get. I like the in person classes so I can look up and see what I am supposed to be doing.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 5:45pm
Flex wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 5:28pm
revbob wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 5:17pm
Kory wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 2:54pm
revbob wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:42pm
Anyone do o eve try Tai Chi?
Not tai chi, but I attained a black belt in a hapkido-adjacent martial art. It's a pretty damn good workout that I'd recommend.
I think I need something more meditative and less joint impactful. I hear its good for reducing stress and that's what I need / am looking for. Being a full time malcontent isn't as easy as it looks.
High recommendation for tai chi in that case
I've taken up yoga once a week and it has done some wonders, particularly the lower back and shoulders. I do the old lady yoga, nothing too crystal swinger.
This is really good to know. I really want to try yoga and I was worried that it would make things worse for my shoulder.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

JennyB wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 10:25pm

This is really good to know. I really want to try yoga and I was worried that it would make things worse for my shoulder.
I think it really boils down to finding the right class. If there are a bunch of 95 pound women who look desperate for a full mean and arrived in a Porsche SUV then I would recommend turning around.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 11:56am
JennyB wrote:

I think it really boils down to finding the right class. If there are a bunch of 95 pound women who look desperate for a full mean and arrived in a Porsche SUV then I would recommend turning around.
For sure.
Got a Rake? Sure!

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

JennyB wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Flex wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 2:54pm

Not tai chi, but I attained a black belt in a hapkido-adjacent martial art. It's a pretty damn good workout that I'd recommend.
I think I need something more meditative and less joint impactful. I hear its good for reducing stress and that's what I need / am looking for. Being a full time malcontent isn't as easy as it looks.
I've taken up yoga once a week and it has done some wonders, particularly the lower back and shoulders. I do the old lady yoga, nothing too crystal swinger.
Best stretch for shoulder pain (I've found) is simply hanging from something, like a pull up without motion. Can be done with feet on the ground if needs be by slowly bending knees until you can feel the stretch...very good for your back too let's the spine decompress....I ain't a doctor however so go careful!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

motorsmell wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 2:49pm
JennyB wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Flex wrote:
revbob wrote:

Best stretch for shoulder pain (I've found) is simply hanging from something, like a pull up without motion. Can be done with feet on the ground if needs be by slowly bending knees until you can feel the stretch...very good for your back too let's the spine decompress....I ain't a doctor however so go careful!
Thank you! I got a cortisone shot a few weeks ago and it has helped a LOT, but I am going to do this for prevention purposes. Appreciate the suggestion.
Got a Rake? Sure!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

motorsmell wrote:
JennyB wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Flex wrote:
revbob wrote:

We should consult our resident physician Doc Medulla, he'll know.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

JennyB wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 2:51pm
motorsmell wrote:
JennyB wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Flex wrote:

Thank you! I got a cortisone shot a few weeks ago and it has helped a LOT, but I am going to do this for prevention purposes. Appreciate the suggestion.
No worries, it's number one stretch for me at the gym. Just go easy with it and don't jump up to the hanging point best to slowly take the weight off your feet. Again I'm not a Doctor so be careful!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

motorsmell wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 3:24pm
JennyB wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 2:51pm
motorsmell wrote:
JennyB wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

No worries, it's number one stretch for me at the gym. Just go easy with it and don't jump up to the hanging point best to slowly take the weight off your feet. Again I'm not a Doctor so be careful!
Will do - thank you again.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

So, since going to the gym on the reg I notice there's a fairly high volume of dudes - mostly guys probably in their early to mid 20s - who like to take selfies in the locker room using the gym mirror in a state of near or total undress. Nobody ever did that when I would go to our municipal rec centers, but despite it being against the rules to take photos in the locker room it happens pretty regularly. Whatever. I wish people didn't do it because I think it's weird to get dressed or undressed during someone's photo session but I only find it a little annoying when I'm trying to get to my locker to get changed or whatever and people are just fucking around and taking up space I need instead of, like, getting changed and getting on with their business.

Today, however, was a new experience. Dude had a whole-ass tripod set up and had moved out most of the benches from the locker area and was doing a full show of some kind totally nude. It was pretty bananas. And moderately disruptive. I absolutely won't be a narc unless someone tries to, like, physically attack someone but it's like, c'mon man, you have a private bedroom or bathroom or whatever to do this shit.

Is this common behavior? The tripod stuff is particularly insane but I can never imagine taking selfies or video or whatever in a locker room where people are trying to get changed. Is it just the erosion of privacy and consideration of common spaces?

/old man gripe session over
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 11:50pm
So, since going to the gym on the reg I notice there's a fairly high volume of dudes - mostly guys probably in their early to mid 20s - who like to take selfies in the locker room using the gym mirror in a state of near or total undress. Nobody ever did that when I would go to our municipal rec centers, but despite it being against the rules to take photos in the locker room it happens pretty regularly. Whatever. I wish people didn't do it because I think it's weird to get dressed or undressed during someone's photo session but I only find it a little annoying when I'm trying to get to my locker to get changed or whatever and people are just fucking around and taking up space I need instead of, like, getting changed and getting on with their business.

Today, however, was a new experience. Dude had a whole-ass tripod set up and had moved out most of the benches from the locker area and was doing a full show of some kind totally nude. It was pretty bananas. And moderately disruptive. I absolutely won't be a narc unless someone tries to, like, physically attack someone but it's like, c'mon man, you have a private bedroom or bathroom or whatever to do this shit.

Is this common behavior? The tripod stuff is particularly insane but I can never imagine taking selfies or video or whatever in a locker room where people are trying to get changed. Is it just the erosion of privacy and consideration of common spaces?

That's insanity. I hate gyms/gym culture. Last time I had a membership was at a place down the road that is 24hrs. I liked thatI could go at like 9 or 10pm and do what I needed to do and be out quickly. I rather just bike and do basic body exercises at home.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 9:18am
Flex wrote:

That's insanity. I hate gyms/gym culture. Last time I had a membership was at a place down the road that is 24hrs. I liked thatI could go at like 9 or 10pm and do what I needed to do and be out quickly. I rather just bike and do basic body exercises at home.
My insular nature and aversion to gym culture—six of one, half a dozen of the other—is why I exercise at home or go for long walks by myself.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

RE: gyms, I mostly like mine. It doesn't have some of the fancy bells and whistles some do, but it's got a steam room and childcare for my kiddo so I can go during the day and drop the little dude off for a bit as I do a workout. And after avoiding workout classes essentially all my life I started taking my gym's HIIT based class and I begrudgingly admit that working out with an actual professional who knows what they're doing can be quite helpful. The classes are usually just a half dozen people so it's a good balance of personalized attention but still some of the benefit of a group setting. So, overall, I've become pro-gym. I mostly find the culture of some of the goofier folks kind of amusing. Good people watching a lot of times. Really only the locker room etiquette gets under my skin a little.

I have a little home gym that I put together during the pandemic but once the kiddo came I found trying to be consistent at home for impossible. Gym is probably the one place where I get to carve out some time that's truly for myself, so I've come to really like it.

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:

I read about all this male nudity then see "tripod" and "pretty bananas" and just imagine Flex in a deluge of giant dongs.

I read that this is a thing on reddit and though I don't go to the gym much these days, I've never seen it. Not sure what the social media trend is to take photos in the gym, particularly in the changing room, particularly when nude.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 11:04am
I read about all this male nudity then see "tripod" and "pretty bananas" and just imagine Flex in a deluge of giant dongs.
Not as giant as you may think. :shifty:
I read that this is a thing on reddit and though I don't go to the gym much these days, I've never seen it. Not sure what the social media trend is to take photos in the gym, particularly in the changing room, particularly when nude.
That sounds about right. My naked white ass is probably in the background of someone's TikTok right now.

Pex Lives!