Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by Sparky »

I can relate to the cracking sounds when I get up as well as sleeping wrong and having a stiff neck for days. :lol:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Some time ago, I read that our bodies make an ungodly amount of noise all the time, but we’ve all learned to tune it out (perhaps to avoid going insane). Supposedly, if you were in a perfectly silent and sealed room, you’d suddenly be aware that you’re a horribly creaky and clunky machine just grinding along.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Joe Public
Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla

Post by Joe Public »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 9:05am
Supposedly, if you were in a perfectly silent and sealed room, you’d suddenly be aware that you’re a horribly creaky and clunky machine just grinding along.
I'm rather aware of this in ANY room, at this stage...
You gotta give the people something good to read...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Joe Public wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 2:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Supposedly, if you were in a perfectly silent and sealed room, you’d suddenly be aware that you’re a horribly creaky and clunky machine just grinding along.
I'm rather aware of this in ANY room, at this stage...

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Some time ago, I read that our bodies make an ungodly amount of noise all the time, but we’ve all learned to tune it out (perhaps to avoid going insane). Supposedly, if you were in a perfectly silent and sealed room, you’d suddenly be aware that you’re a horribly creaky and clunky machine just grinding along.
Grinding is definitely the word for the noise my neck makes when I turn my head from side to side.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 3:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Grinding is definitely the word for the noise my neck makes when I turn my head from side to side.
My shoulders are like a bike chain skipping.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mine too. It's gross.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 3:44pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I did PT over the winter to try and get my rotator cuff in shape to be able to throw a ball for the summer. Im afraid to really test it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 6:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I did PT over the winter to try and get my rotator cuff in shape to be able to throw a ball for the summer. Im afraid to really test it.
I'd frankly be scared to throw a ball. It's weird that I'm perfectly fine rowing, but when I'm riding the spin bike, just resting my arms on the handlebars, my shoulders will crunch in and out.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 6:47pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'd frankly be scared to throw a ball. It's weird that I'm perfectly fine rowing, but when I'm riding the spin bike, just resting my arms on the handlebars, my shoulders will crunch in and out.
I've been able to still cover ground in the OF and make catches but when Ive needed to throw Ive been at a serious disadvantage the past several years. Im fighting my age still trying to play with guys 20 to 30 years younger and not being able to throw well from the OF no doubt has people thinking Im replacable especially when I break in with a new gtoup like I am this year. They see an old guy and when I cant compete fully on defense no doubt some see me as a liability. Luckily for me (despite how I might come across here, Im not the asshole type in person).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 7:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 6:47pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I've been able to still cover ground in the OF and make catches but when Ive needed to throw Ive been at a serious disadvantage the past several years. Im fighting my age still trying to play with guys 20 to 30 years younger and not being able to throw well from the OF no doubt has people thinking Im replacable especially when I break in with a new gtoup like I am this year. They see an old guy and when I cant compete fully on defense no doubt some see me as a liability. Luckily for me (despite how I might come across here, Im not the asshole type in person).
So you're Jeter (minus the asshole part). Thank you, folks, that's my set, drive safe!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Middle of the night, I rolled over and my left shoulder, which has crunching and pinching painfully, let out a horrible cracking sound—like a bone being broken—but it feels so much better now. A bit tender, but I've got more range with my left arm now without the painful pinching.

Joe Public
Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla

Post by Joe Public »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 6:18am
Middle of the night, I rolled over and my left shoulder, which has crunching and pinching painfully, let out a horrible cracking sound—like a bone being broken—but it feels so much better now. A bit tender, but I've got more range with my left arm now without the painful pinching.
I was blessed/ cursed with "double jointed" shoulders...i could link my fingers and put my arms backwards over my head and back down to the small of my back, if you can picture that. Unfortunately, taking too many hits playing high school hockey (not very well, mind you), i separated my right shoulder and it just started randomly dislocating from time to time. I could reseat it time and time again with a small amount of effort and little pain, but one day I was at work, and it popped out of joint and I couldn't get it back in. A trip to emergency, several hours, and my first intravenous drug experience later (MORPHINE, no less!), I was scheduled for surgery, which I had, and now apparently it is physically impossible to dislocate my right shoulder ever again. Or do my party trick. And apparently, I have to worry about arthritis now, too, thanks to the now-obsolete procedure they used.
...still have my winged scapulae, though. But that's another story for another time...
You gotta give the people something good to read...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Joe Public wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 8:41am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was blessed/ cursed with "double jointed" shoulders...i could link my fingers and put my arms backwards over my head and back down to the small of my back, if you can picture that. Unfortunately, taking too many hits playing high school hockey (not very well, mind you), i separated my right shoulder and it just started randomly dislocating from time to time. I could reseat it time and time again with a small amount of effort and little pain, but one day I was at work, and it popped out of joint and I couldn't get it back in. A trip to emergency, several hours, and my first intravenous drug experience later (MORPHINE, no less!), I was scheduled for surgery, which I had, and now apparently it is physically impossible to dislocate my right shoulder ever again. Or do my party trick. And apparently, I have to worry about arthritis now, too, thanks to the now-obsolete procedure they used.
...still have my winged scapulae, though. But that's another story for another time...
We saw a street performer once who was double-jointed, wiggling thru small hoops and the like. It was more unsettling than impressive from my perspective. (Or it might have been his Australian accent that creeped me out.) Moral of the story: intelligent design is horseshit; god was on peyote when he made us.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Ouch. I've done that a few times. Feels better after.