Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I had some whiskey last night, just two drinks. I feel like I was up until dawn doing toot all night. I gotta stick to beer.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 7:18pm
I had some whiskey last night, just two drinks. I feel like I was up until dawn doing toot all night. I gotta stick to beer.
Funny, I just told B that tonight's wine has really hit me. Some evenings it just loosens me up, others it's like I've downed a whole bottle in 15 mins.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 6:34pm
revbob wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 6:20pm
Fall ball started today. Im still hitting like shit. Beat out one grounder. My defense was solid though. My ability to stretch over 7 feet at first base was a difference maker several times.
No-hit 1B are the sparkliest of unicorns. You're gonna get Wally Pipp'd.
What kills me is Ive always been a good hitter

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 7:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Fall ball started today. Im still hitting like shit. Beat out one grounder. My defense was solid though. My ability to stretch over 7 feet at first base was a difference maker several times.
Willie Mays hit .211 his final season. It happens.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 7:43pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 8:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
You're not helping Beaneater.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 8:47pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This thread isn't about helping.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 8:49pm
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

This would be the 3rd time this week you're telling it like it is.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 9:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 8:49pm
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This would be the 3rd time this week you're telling it like it is.
I've discovered the right-wing populist in me who normally hangs out in the colon.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 7:24pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Funny, I just told B that tonight's wine has really hit me. Some evenings it just loosens me up, others it's like I've downed a whole bottle in 15 mins.
Hello,

I went to undergrad at Furman University. The liquor stores then sold grain alcohol - 180 proof - pretty much pure alcohol. When you mixed this stuff with anything, it really did not have a discernible taste but after only a few cups, you were really blitzed - and the next day was total detox - lay around and wait for your body to cleanse. It was big at frat parties to give to young girls. After my freshman year, I decided to give it up and stick with beer. No matter how many beers I have, I can run the next day.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 11:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 7:24pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Hello,

I went to undergrad at Furman University. The liquor stores then sold grain alcohol - 180 proof - pretty much pure alcohol. When you mixed this stuff with anything, it really did not have a discernible taste but after only a few cups, you were really blitzed - and the next day was total detox - lay around and wait for your body to cleanse. It was big at frat parties to give to young girls. After my freshman year, I decided to give it up and stick with beer. No matter how many beers I have, I can run the next day.
In David Halberstam's Summer of '49, about the Red Sox-Yankees pennant race that year, he tells the story of Sox pitcher Ellis Kinder, who was a phenomenal drinker. One night before he pitched, he got completely shitfaced with one of the Yankees in the hotel bar. The Yankee knew there was no way he could play that game, but at least he took out their pitcher. And, yeah, Kinder showed up like he died three weeks earlier. But he put on a heavy wool track suit, ran a few laps around the park, completely soaked with booze sweat, but was ready to go. Crazy tough physiology.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Yeah, Ive come around to this as well.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So I almost returned my Apple Watch. I had it for a week and then last Friday it seemed like the plastic case had cracked in the corner. I did some Googling and that was a problem with the model. So I initiated a return on eBay and got to talking with the seller (a retailer in Montreal). After showing them photos, they were sure that it was a screen protector that was cracked and that I just needed to pull it off. I figured, okay, you're telling me to do it.

So I pull and a piece breaks off and I'm freaking out a bit because it's like hard plastic, even sharp like glass. But in for a penny, etc., so I keep going. Mostly it keeps breaking away, but yeah, the glass underneath is fine and the frame is fine. I have never come across a screen protector that thick and brittle. Anyway, it's all fine now. And much to my surprise, I'm actually digging it. Nothing crucial to it all, but a lot of convenient things with it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 5:04pm
So I almost returned my Apple Watch. I had it for a week and then last Friday it seemed like the plastic case had cracked in the corner. I did some Googling and that was a problem with the model. So I initiated a return on eBay and got to talking with the seller (a retailer in Montreal). After showing them photos, they were sure that it was a screen protector that was cracked and that I just needed to pull it off. I figured, okay, you're telling me to do it.

So I pull and a piece breaks off and I'm freaking out a bit because it's like hard plastic, even sharp like glass. But in for a penny, etc., so I keep going. Mostly it keeps breaking away, but yeah, the glass underneath is fine and the frame is fine. I have never come across a screen protector that thick and brittle. Anyway, it's all fine now. And much to my surprise, I'm actually digging it. Nothing crucial to it all, but a lot of convenient things with it.
My last two screen protectors have been like that. I guess it's more protective of the scree but it's pretty easy to crack.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 1:48am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 5:04pm

My last two screen protectors have been like that. I guess it's more protective of the scree but it's pretty easy to crack.
Both of us looked at the watch and were convinced it was the frame that had cracked. It really seemed like part of the watch.