Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 9:16am
Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Aug 2021, 9:30pm
Just back from this evening’s bike ride. I’ve done 55 rides in 55 days (June 24-August 17), averaging 14.6 miles and a little over 1 hour and 10 minutes per ride. Overall average speed is 12.4mph, but I’ve been consistently around 13.2-13.5mph the last 2-3 weeks. I did a 38.0 mile (61 km) ride this past Saturday (my longest so far) in 2 hours and 53 minutes, which was 13.18mph. My 55 day total is at 803.4 miles (1293 km), in 64 hours and 53 minutes of cycling. Have lost 14 pounds since June 24, but maybe 5lbs of that is from cutting out some junk food calories.
55 rides in 55 days, very nice! Got on the scale this AM, I think you somehow sent me your 5 lbs you can't locate. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to getting back out and exercising regularly. I usually skip a day in between to allow my body to recuperate and avoid inquires.
Thanks. I’ve actually taken 3 days off along the way, but also had 3 weekend days where I went out for an hour+ in the morning and then another hour+ in the evening. After my long Saturday ride, I went out twice on Sunday for identical 14.6 mile (1:06) rides to get to 53 in 53. The 14 miles I did on the following Monday, 2 days ago, were pretty grueling - I went slower, coasted more, and skipped the extra trip around the block at the end - but then last night’s 17 miles were easy and I really only stopped because it got dark. In general though, instead of skipping days, I’ve alternated longer rides with shorter ones. Today’s forecast is calling for rain all day, so today will be a day off. :mrgreen:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 6:25am
Kimmelweck wrote:
Just back from this evening’s bike ride. I’ve done 55 rides in 55 days (June 24-August 17), averaging 14.6 miles and a little over 1 hour and 10 minutes per ride. Overall average speed is 12.4mph, but I’ve been consistently around 13.2-13.5mph the last 2-3 weeks. I did a 38.0 mile (61 km) ride this past Saturday (my longest so far) in 2 hours and 53 minutes, which was 13.18mph. My 55 day total is at 803.4 miles (1293 km), in 64 hours and 53 minutes of cycling. Have lost 14 pounds since June 24, but maybe 5lbs of that is from cutting out some junk food calories.
Them's some solid distances. There's a Stephen King short story where a woman starts riding a stationary bike and charts her imaginary travel across the US, ten or so miles every day. Kind of a neat way of tracing all those miles to nowhere.
Funny you should mention that, as I keep comparing my total distance with the distance to various cities. Where I live is about 1370 miles from both Denver and Havana, Cuba. My end of year goal has vaguely been to get past those places. Once I hit 1000 miles though, by around the end of this month, I’ll probably go out every other day or as weather permits, and pick nicer days for outdoor rides. Past 1000, I’m not really concerned with where I wind up before I switch to indoor rides. Next year I’ll start in May, and probably 20 pounds lighter - Mexico City, here I come (2000 miles)!

I keep seeing some of the same cycling characters on my rides – the spandex guys who look like they’re training for the Tour de France. They frequently zip past me on my mountain bike like I’m a piece of luggage by the side of the road. After 500 miles or so, I finally traded in my clunky leather shoes for some decent running shoes, and swapped out my cotton Clash t-shirts for some nice Tek Gear shirts that wick away sweat better. I’m gradually starting to look more like a serious cyclist and less like a guy who just stole a bike. :mrgreen:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 2:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Them's some solid distances. There's a Stephen King short story where a woman starts riding a stationary bike and charts her imaginary travel across the US, ten or so miles every day. Kind of a neat way of tracing all those miles to nowhere.
Funny you should mention that, as I keep comparing my total distance with the distance to various cities. Where I live is about 1370 miles from both Denver and Havana, Cuba. My end of year goal has vaguely been to get past those places. Once I hit 1000 miles though, by around the end of this month, I’ll probably go out every other day or as weather permits, and pick nicer days for outdoor rides. Past 1000, I’m not really concerned with where I wind up before I switch to indoor rides. Next year I’ll start in May, and probably 20 pounds lighter - Mexico City, here I come (2000 miles)!
My best year for distance, indoor and outdoor riding was around 6500 kms, which I think covers Canada from Pacific to Atlantic. I doubt I have the commitment to do *that* again, but 4500–5000 kms a year seems plausible. I split up my time between rowing and riding, but my rides are 35 km now.
I keep seeing some of the same cycling characters on my rides – the spandex guys who look like they’re training for the Tour de France. They frequently zip past me on my mountain bike like I’m a piece of luggage by the side of the road. After 500 miles or so, I finally traded in my clunky leather shoes for some decent running shoes, and swapped out my cotton Clash t-shirts for some nice Tek Gear shirts that wick away sweat better. I’m gradually starting to look more like a serious cyclist and less like a guy who just stole a bike. :mrgreen:
Ah, yes, the fashionable spandex riders. There was a recurring set I'd see when I rode outside. I took pleasure in blowing by most of them (the guys who blew past me merited their outfits). My favourite ridiculousness was a couple in their 60s in full cycling spandex riding a tandem bike. It's funny that it was only after I switched to permanent indoor riding that I started buying some of that stuff.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 2:23pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 2:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
My best year for distance, indoor and outdoor riding was around 6500 kms, which I think covers Canada from Pacific to Atlantic. I doubt I have the commitment to do *that* again, but 4500–5000 kms a year seems plausible. I split up my time between rowing and riding, but my rides are 35 km now.
Ah, yes, the fashionable spandex riders. There was a recurring set I'd see when I rode outside. I took pleasure in blowing by most of them (the guys who blew past me merited their outfits). My favourite ridiculousness was a couple in their 60s in full cycling spandex riding a tandem bike. It's funny that it was only after I switched to permanent indoor riding that I started buying some of that stuff.
When I see these types, I always comment that the circus must be passing through town and a couple of clowns went AWOL.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 2:34pm
When I see these types, I always comment that the circus must be passing through town and a couple of clowns went AWOL.
While I'm not exactly fat-shaming or anything here, but, c'mon, don't go out in full spandex unless you can pull it off, y'know?

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
6500 kms is a nice total – a little over 4000 miles. I’ve spent an hour and a half total on the stationary bike on a couple of my “off” days, about 23.3 miles, but I haven’t included the indoor miles in my outdoor total. They just seem like a different experience altogether. Maybe next year I’ll start keeping track on January 1st and keep a separate log of indoor and outdoor miles to see how many combined miles I can get for the year. This year is more of a get-back-in-shape year for me. I’m seriously glad to have gotten into it though, and to finally be using the bike paths that have been right under my nose for years.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Those guys always remind me of Bryan Cranston in the Malcolm in the Middle episode where he gets into race-walking:

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

edit - double post

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 2:52pm
Sparky wrote:
While I'm not exactly fat-shaming or anything here, but, c'mon, don't go out in full spandex unless you can pull it off, y'know?
Hello,

Agreed. If you are 30 pounds overweight, don't bother with the spandex/lycra until you've earned it. It was always a bit pleasing to blow by guys wearing $200-300 shirts and pants - me in old nike shorts and a t-shirt.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
I'm with you, not "fat-shaming" anybody, I'm just of the belief that wearing racing team gear while riding your bike looks silly. I don't put on a fire-suit and helmet to drive to get groceries after all.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

gkbill wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 3:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Hello,

Agreed. If you are 30 pounds overweight, don't bother with the spandex/lycra until you've earned it. It was always a bit pleasing to blow by guys wearing $200-300 shirts and pants - me in old nike shorts and a t-shirt.
Exactly! I'm pedaling in flip flops while wearing walk shorts or swim trunks and believe it or not, I still get to my destination!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 3:08pm
6500 kms is a nice total – a little over 4000 miles. I’ve spent an hour and a half total on the stationary bike on a couple of my “off” days, about 23.3 miles, but I haven’t included the indoor miles in my outdoor total. They just seem like a different experience altogether. Maybe next year I’ll start keeping track on January 1st and keep a separate log of indoor and outdoor miles to see how many combined miles I can get for the year. This year is more of a get-back-in-shape year for me. I’m seriously glad to have gotten into it though, and to finally be using the bike paths that have been right under my nose for years.
An unexpected positive side-effect of the pandemic, I suppose. Funny that you've started a log whereas I'm weaning myself off all that. I make a note in iCal, but it doesn't include stuff like time and rate and all that. I know that I'm losing some stamina now, so I know that I'm not going to improving much, if at all. Just get in the kilometres now and just make a good faith effort to work hard without recording it to keep myself honest.
gkbill wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 3:18pm
That's how I dressed (mostly) when cycling. Basic gym shorts but a neon wicking shirt. No gloves or special shoes (just some Chucks that are too wrecked now to walk in). But I'd fire past people who looked like they spent more on their clothes than me on my bike. It was like justifying my contempt for them somehow.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Good game today. 4 solid line drives, 2 for doubles and 4 runs scored. Flashed a little leather at 1b too.

But perhaps the play of the game came when a guy on the sidelines was playing music on a BT speaker. He asked something about keeping playing it or not. He happened to be playing Journey at the time so I matter of factly told yeah turn that shit off. I was only half serious but the dude took it quite seriously even when I said it was ok. The look on his face said all. I rarely intend to intimidate anyone but sometimes I do with my size and body language. Whenever I went to 1b he turned down the music.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 4:28pm
Good game today. 4 solid line drives, 2 for doubles and 4 runs scored. Flashed a little leather at 1b too.

But perhaps the play of the game came when a guy on the sidelines was playing music on a BT speaker. He asked something about keeping playing it or not. He happened to be playing Journey at the time so I matter of factly told yeah turn that shit off. I was only half serious but the dude took it quite seriously even when I said it was ok. The look on his face said all. I rarely intend to intimidate anyone but sometimes I do with my size and body language. Whenever I went to 1b he turned down the music.
You are the hero a troubled nation needs.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 4:36pm
revbob wrote:

You are the hero a troubled nation needs.
We all have to do our part.

Also its no wonder why I have so few friends.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:

Friends don't let friends listen to Journey!