Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 3:03pm
Kory wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 2:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 2:43pm
There's a bit of financial investment here, but I really can't recommend a rowing machine enough. The shit works legs, arms, chest, gut. It really is a one-stop shopping machine for covering a whole lot of your body all at once. Plus you're sitting, so it kinda feels like goofing off, too.
It seems like they fall apart a lot though. Or is that just my own limited perception from this thread?
It really is, as I've found (alas), a case of getting what you pay for. The problem I had with previous rowers is the drive chain snapping. The Concept 2 is the one that gyms use and is the gold standard, and it uses a heavy nickel-plated chain. I have a water rower—wooden with the resistance coming from water in a drum—and it uses a bungie cord and velcro, and I have had absolutely zero problems with its design or durability. So it's a matter of doing some research and don't be seduced by cheap models.
Well you'll definitely be my first stop for research if I ever go this direction.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 4:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
There's a bit of financial investment here, but I really can't recommend a rowing machine enough. The shit works legs, arms, chest, gut. It really is a one-stop shopping machine for covering a whole lot of your body all at once. Plus you're sitting, so it kinda feels like goofing off, too.
It seems like they fall apart a lot though. Or is that just my own limited perception from this thread?
It really is, as I've found (alas), a case of getting what you pay for. The problem I had with previous rowers is the drive chain snapping. The Concept 2 is the one that gyms use and is the gold standard, and it uses a heavy nickel-plated chain. I have a water rower—wooden with the resistance coming from water in a drum—and it uses a bungie cord and velcro, and I have had absolutely zero problems with its design or durability. So it's a matter of doing some research and don't be seduced by cheap models.
Well you'll definitely be my first stop for research if I ever go this direction.
Iffen you do want to jump in, I give a full-throated endorsement of the water rower (that is, the one manufactured by Water Rower; there are other manufacturers' versions based on WR's design that I can't speak to). It's not for insane competition people—that's the Concept 2—but the water rower is quiet (mostly just the sound of the blade you turn in the water) and it provides really good resistance. The harder you pull, the more it resists, just like rowing a boat. And it's simply constructed so it's super easy to put together. But the key for me is that velcro-based cable—there's no danger of it snapping and, should it eventually fray, is a snap to replace and reattach.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 4:23pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Iffen you do want to jump in, I give a full-throated endorsement of the water rower (that is, the one manufactured by Water Rower; there are other manufacturers' versions based on WR's design that I can't speak to). It's not for insane competition people—that's the Concept 2—but the water rower is quiet (mostly just the sound of the blade you turn in the water) and it provides really good resistance. The harder you pull, the more it resists, just like rowing a boat. And it's simply constructed so it's super easy to put together. But the key for me is that velcro-based cable—there's no danger of it snapping and, should it eventually fray, is a snap to replace and reattach.
For me, it's going to be a matter of whether I ever move to a bigger place. I've been trying to even find room for an electronic drum kit but it's not working out.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 4:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 4:23pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

For me, it's going to be a matter of whether I ever move to a bigger place. I've been trying to even find room for an electronic drum kit but it's not working out.
I hear Tucson is nothing but McMansions! :shifty: That said, the water rower can be stood on its head up against the wall when not used, so that shrinks part of its footprint. But it might not be something you want decorating your wall regardless.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

e72423e5d4b6d9473ea4500960bbcee1.jpg
e72423e5d4b6d9473ea4500960bbcee1.jpg (45.29 KiB) Viewed 986 times
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

We lost our first game of the season today. I was 0 for 4. First at bat I hit a ball to dead center and the CF caught it at the last second before it cleared the fence. Disappointing to say the least. Interestingly enough it is the same CF who misjudged a line drive I hit in a championship game a few years back which scored the winning runs

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 9:24pm
We lost our first game of the season today. I was 0 for 4. First at bat I hit a ball to dead center and the CF caught it at the last second before it cleared the fence. Disappointing to say the least. Interestingly enough it is the same CF who misjudged a line drive I hit in a championship game a few years back which scored the winning runs
As your personal trainer, I'm gonna say the problem is you didn't drink enough before the game.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 10:09pm
revbob wrote:
As your personal trainer, I'm gonna say the problem is you didn't drink enough before the game.
Truth.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 10:23pm
Flex wrote:
revbob wrote:
Truth.
Yep, the Goose Gossage of rec softball is pissed that you're not following the unwritten rules of being at least .05 while playing.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 6:27am
revbob wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 10:23pm
Flex wrote:
revbob wrote:
Truth.
Yep, the Goose Gossage of rec softball is pissed that you're not following the unwritten rules of being at least .05 while playing.
It ain't all bat flips and show boating.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Just back from this evening’s bike ride. I’ve done 55 rides in 55 days (June 24-August 17), averaging 14.6 miles and a little over 1 hour and 10 minutes per ride. Overall average speed is 12.4mph, but I’ve been consistently around 13.2-13.5mph the last 2-3 weeks. I did a 38.0 mile (61 km) ride this past Saturday (my longest so far) in 2 hours and 53 minutes, which was 13.18mph. My 55 day total is at 803.4 miles (1293 km), in 64 hours and 53 minutes of cycling. Have lost 14 pounds since June 24, but maybe 5lbs of that is from cutting out some junk food calories.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Aug 2021, 9:30pm
Just back from this evening’s bike ride. I’ve done 55 rides in 55 days (June 24-August 17), averaging 14.6 miles and a little over 1 hour and 10 minutes per ride. Overall average speed is 12.4mph, but I’ve been consistently around 13.2-13.5mph the last 2-3 weeks. I did a 38.0 mile (61 km) ride this past Saturday (my longest so far) in 2 hours and 53 minutes, which was 13.18mph. My 55 day total is at 803.4 miles (1293 km), in 64 hours and 53 minutes of cycling. Have lost 14 pounds since June 24, but maybe 5lbs of that is from cutting out some junk food calories.
Hello,

Don't get obsessed with weight numbers. If you've added muscle, that's a lot of weight. If you've lost body fat, that's healthy. Muscle can weigh up to 3x fat. Put body composition ahead of weight in your thinking.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

gkbill wrote:
17 Aug 2021, 11:47pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Hello,

Don't get obsessed with weight numbers. If you've added muscle, that's a lot of weight. If you've lost body fat, that's healthy. Muscle can weigh up to 3x fat. Put body composition ahead of weight in your thinking.
Thanks. Yeah, I can appreciate that advice. I’ve basically just dropped a bunch of belly fat that I put on since the start of covid isolation. I used to get out with friends and walk around the park for an hour or two in the evenings, 5 times a week (frolf is a cruel but alluring mistress), but I haven’t done much of that over the last 18 months. Plus I got into lazy eating habits. I’ve been at 185 lbs for the last quarter century and was pretty comfortable at that weight. Not slim but not fat either. I never felt motivated to lose weight anyway. A couple days after I started cycling I got on the scale for the first time in a year and a half – holy skunk sweat! - 199 pounds! So after the last 2 months of cycling, I’m basically back to my pre-covid weight and my pants fit again. I wouldn’t mind dropping about 5-10 more pounds gradually over the remainder of the year, but I’m not hung up on it.

In a few weeks, after I’ve crossed 1000 miles and when the weather starts getting less favorable for outdoor riding (which I am thoroughly enjoying), my plan is to alternate days of maybe a half hour on the stationary bike with days of light weight workouts through the winter. Body weight, as you say, is less important than overall composition, and I expect muscle development to actually add weight. As always, I very much appreciate your input.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
Them's some solid distances. There's a Stephen King short story where a woman starts riding a stationary bike and charts her imaginary travel across the US, ten or so miles every day. Kind of a neat way of tracing all those miles to nowhere.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
55 rides in 55 days, very nice! Got on the scale this AM, I think you somehow sent me your 5 lbs you can't locate. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to getting back out and exercising regularly. I usually skip a day in between to allow my body to recuperate and avoid inquires.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung