Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 4:00pm
revbob wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 11:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 11:26am
revbob wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 10:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 8:20am

Rickey fuckin' Henderson here!
Revbob is the fastest 50yo (actually the only 50yo) on the field by far, not to mention a lot of the 20 and 30yos too. I owe it all to clean living.
An odd piece of Rickey trivia that I've retained is that he never lifted weights. At all. He ran, did push-ups and sit-ups, and that's it. A crazy amount of that, but still, his entire work-out regimen was self-contained.
Yeah Id read that too. What an amazing player.
And an interesting landlord:
https://deadspin.com/the-true-story-of- ... 1824190369
Let's do some pro-level IMCT segueing:
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 4:21pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Revbob is the fastest 50yo (actually the only 50yo) on the field by far, not to mention a lot of the 20 and 30yos too. I owe it all to clean living.
An odd piece of Rickey trivia that I've retained is that he never lifted weights. At all. He ran, did push-ups and sit-ups, and that's it. A crazy amount of that, but still, his entire work-out regimen was self-contained.
Let's do some pro-level IMCT segueing:
Now that was funny!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 8:20am

Rickey fuckin' Henderson here!
Great story, Ive come across it before but great stuff.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just came back from my morning constitutional :shifty: (didn't feel like riding or rowing, and it's a nice kind of muggy day so far).
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 10:09am
Just came back from my morning constitutional :shifty: (didn't feel like riding or rowing, and it's a nice kind of muggy day so far).
At least you got out and did something, so you must not be feeling anything from your 2nd vaccination yesterday.

I much prefer early (very early) morning outdoor exercise, the heat accompanied by high humidity really zaps my energy for outdoor exercise. Not to mention the amount of traffic, both vehicular & bicycles, increases sharply the later we head out. Plus the air quality is much cleaning in the morning, less smog to suck up.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 11:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 10:09am
At least you got out and did something, so you must not be feeling anything from your 2nd vaccination yesterday.
No side effects at all. Very minor bit of arm soreness, but nothing that would hold me back in any way.
I much prefer early (very early) morning outdoor exercise, the heat accompanied by high humidity really zaps my energy for outdoor exercise. Not to mention the amount of traffic, both vehicular & bicycles, increases sharply the later we head out. Plus the air quality is much cleaning in the morning, less smog to suck up.
I found high humidity correlated with really good bike rides. My legs just limber up really quickly. I sweat like a creep, but my energy seems to be more efficient. But all my best times came on really warm, really humid days.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

I rode 22.3 miles in 1 hour and 50 minutes last night (6:55-8:45pm). My longest ride yet. It’s going to rain later today, so I went out this morning to get a couple miles in and at least keep my streak alive. Wound up doing another 14.3 miles in 1 hour and 10 minutes. That puts my 8 day total at 93.1 miles in 8 hours and 3 minutes of riding.

In addition to a gel seat, I think I need better road tires for my mountain bike. I used to have the kind with the narrow strip down the middle – for both road and off-road use – but when I had them replaced a couple years ago they put on some pretty fat off-road tires. I don’t know, maybe the extra resistance is helpful. I’m not training for speed or anything, just trying to get some consistent exercise. Next year I might look into getting a regular road bike.
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

double post

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 2:53pm
I rode 22.3 miles in 1 hour and 50 minutes last night (6:55-8:45pm). My longest ride yet. It’s going to rain later today, so I went out this morning to get a couple miles in and at least keep my streak alive. Wound up doing another 14.3 miles in 1 hour and 10 minutes. That puts my 8 day total at 93.1 miles in 8 hours and 3 minutes of riding.

In addition to a gel seat, I think I need better road tires for my mountain bike. I used to have the kind with the narrow strip down the middle – for both road and off-road use – but when I had them replaced a couple years ago they put on some pretty fat off-road tires. I don’t know, maybe the extra resistance is helpful. I’m not training for speed or anything, just trying to get some consistent exercise. Next year I might look into getting a regular road bike.
Yeah, those big off-road tires can really wear you out, much more rolling resistance and added weight to your bike.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 2:53pm

That much time on a bike is rough on the ass. To quote from Office Space, watch yer cornhole, bud.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 6:12pm
Yeah, those big off-road tires can really wear you out, much more rolling resistance and added weight to your bike.
Yup. I need to do something about them. The slightest headwind kills my momentum if I coast even slightly.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 6:43pm
That much time on a bike is rough on the ass. To quote from Office Space, watch yer cornhole, bud.
Hey, no pain, no gain!

But yeah, I might need 2 gel seat covers after the last 24 hours. :disshame:

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kimmelweck wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 7:25pm
Sparky wrote:
Yup. I need to do something about them. The slightest headwind kills my momentum if I coast even slightly.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hey, no pain, no gain!

Hello,

The broader your tires, the slower you go. Ask at a bike shop for more appropriate tires given where you ride. Most people with fat tires don't really need them. You may want to keep them if you ride in winter.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

gkbill wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 8:27pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 7:25pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hey, no pain, no gain!

Hello,

The broader your tires, the slower you go. Ask at a bike shop for more appropriate tires given where you ride. Most people with fat tires don't really need them. You may want to keep them if you ride in winter.
Thanks. Yeah, I used to have nice dual-use tires, but for some reason they switched them when I took my bike in for some work and new tires a couple years ago. I didn't even really notice until a couple days ago as I hadn't used it much.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

OMG, this gif kills me.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 1:35pm
OMG, this gif kills me.

You beat me to it, I just couldn't figure out where to post it. I can't believe our own government put that out as a PSA, too funny!