Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by Sparky »

Just got back from seeing about a "tune up" for the lasik I had back in 2012, I've been having to rely heavily on my glasses for reading & other up close work. Unfortunately they didn't recommend the procedure, they said it would have to be Radial Keratotomy this time, which has a longer recovery and the potential for more risk, which outweighs the possible benefits in my case. If I was nearsighted, there would be a greater benefit, so they're going to refund the money we had pre-paid for this follow up, so it's not a total loss.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 2:47pm
Just got back from seeing about a "tune up" for the lasik I had back in 2012, I've been having to rely heavily on my glasses for reading & other up close work. Unfortunately they didn't recommend the procedure, they said it would have to be Radial Keratotomy this time, which has a longer recovery and the potential for more risk, which outweighs the possible benefits in my case. If I was nearsighted, there would be a greater benefit, so they're going to refund the money we had pre-paid for this follow up, so it's not a total loss.
So you just have to reconcile yourself to glasses? Not great but not the worst outcome.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 3:13pm
Sparky wrote:
So you just have to reconcile yourself to glasses? Not great but not the worst outcome.
Correct, very grateful to have two working eyeballs. Having to wear glasses for anything requiring close focus isn't the worst thing, it's just an inconvenience. I was working under my car a couple of months back and just couldn't seem to get enough light to see exactly what I was doing, so out came the glasses. Text message on my phone is spotty, I've increased the font, but it's so much easier to see with glasses. Reading on my iPad in dark theme with larger font is ok for now as well. Some websites I have to increase the "zoom" in Chrome to 110%, but again, just a minor annoyance.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 3:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 3:13pm
Sparky wrote:
Correct, very grateful to have two working eyeballs. Having to wear glasses for anything requiring close focus isn't the worst thing, it's just an inconvenience. I was working under my car a couple of months back and just couldn't seem to get enough light to see exactly what I was doing, so out came the glasses. Text message on my phone is spotty, I've increased the font, but it's so much easier to see with glasses. Reading on my iPad in dark theme with larger font is ok for now as well. Some websites I have to increase the "zoom" in Chrome to 110%, but again, just a minor annoyance.
Yeah, I'm more or less the same way since my cataract surgery. One eye is set to long distance, the other to short, but stuff that is 2–5 feet away (like a computer screen) require glasses. So I don't need 'em reading in the tub or in bed, or just walking around, but if I'm at the computer, it's required. Not great but … well, the cataracts were literally leaving me blind, so I can't seriously complain.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I had PRK surgery 15 years ago, like lasik but with laser, it was rough right after the surgery but it's been great. One eye is a little nearsighted so I still don't need reading glasses. I think it's great, should have had the surgery before I did, made a world of a difference.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

coffeepotman wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 5:38pm
I had PRK surgery 15 years ago, like lasik but with laser, it was rough right after the surgery but it's been great. One eye is a little nearsighted so I still don't need reading glasses. I think it's great, should have had the surgery before I did, made a world of a difference.
Thanks for the feedback. If I may ask, did you happen to have lasik prior to RK?
I had laser lasik almost 10 years ago, one eye for reading, one for distance, but it's "worn off" over time and old age. The reading eye now seems to be the distance eye per my doctor. My doctor is indicating I shouldn't do the RK because I've already had lasik and the gains would be minimal, I'd probably still need reading glasses and it wouldn't last as long as the lasik I've had, perhaps 5 years max.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Sparky wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 7:05pm
coffeepotman wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 5:38pm
Thanks for the feedback. If I may ask, did you happen to have lasik prior to RK?
I had laser lasik almost 10 years ago, one eye for reading, one for distance, but it's "worn off" over time and old age. The reading eye now seems to be the distance eye per my doctor. My doctor is indicating I shouldn't do the RK because I've already had lasik and the gains would be minimal, I'd probably still need reading glasses and it wouldn't last as long as the lasik I've had, perhaps 5 years max.
No I never had lasik, I was always a little lerry about them making a slice in my cornea plus I was working some hard labor jobs where it would be too easy to get injured. I've heard the lasik is very sensitive to injury.
My eyes have changed a little but nothing to the point of what you describe, after the surgery uncorrected I was 20/15 in one eye and 20/25 in the other, now I doubt it's that good and I need a slight distance prescription for driving at night. j I can still read pretty well without glasses but I'm sure they would help. I'm 54 and all my friends all need readers, so I'm happy with my surgery.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I took a break form weight lifting as I've been dealing with an adductor strain for many years. Well, now I've lost muscle mass and because I'm 54, my bones decided to settle in places they haven't been in years. My hip started hurting, my pelvis felt off, it hurts to sit because my butt muscles are gone, so I decided to go back to lifting. Holy shit. I'm so sore and I'm taking wee baby steps to avoid hurting myself. One piece of advice to young people: if you're lifting and/or working out, don't stop. Take small breaks for recovery or injury, but don't stay gone long. The older you get, the harder it is to get back into a routine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 11:55am
I took a break form weight lifting as I've been dealing with an adductor strain for many years. Well, now I've lost muscle mass and because I'm 54, my bones decided to settle in places they haven't been in years. My hip started hurting, my pelvis felt off, it hurts to sit because my butt muscles are gone, so I decided to go back to lifting. Holy shit. I'm so sore and I'm taking wee baby steps to avoid hurting myself. One piece of advice to young people: if you're lifting and/or working out, don't stop. Take small breaks for recovery or injury, but don't stay gone long. The older you get, the harder it is to get back into a routine.
Oh god, yes, this is so true. One thing I hate about getting sick is losing exercise days because I fear losing momentum and capacity. One thing I'm much better at, tho, is not pushing myself as hard when riding or rowing. Just put in X km's and if the time is a minute worse or whatever, big deal. I just wasn't recovering the way I used to, so I've abandoned intensity to preserve consistency.

But good for you getting back on that horse. You'll get back to a less destroyed place before you know it.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
Seems like I've gotten that way with workouts as I've aged. When I take a break form running or free weights, I find myself very sore whenever I start up again. When I was younger, it wasn't as noticeable, but with age, it seems to take a couple of weeks to get back in to my every other day workout routine.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Sparky wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 12:45pm
Mimi wrote:
Seems like I've gotten that way with workouts as I've aged. When I take a break form running or free weights, I find myself very sore whenever I start up again. When I was younger, it wasn't as noticeable, but with age, it seems to take a couple of weeks to get back in to my every other day workout routine.
Yeah, the soreness feels different as you age. In younger days, I welcomed it, saw it as a good sign. Now it just...hurts.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 12:43pm
Mimi wrote:
Oh god, yes, this is so true. One thing I hate about getting sick is losing exercise days because I fear losing momentum and capacity. One thing I'm much better at, tho, is not pushing myself as hard when riding or rowing. Just put in X km's and if the time is a minute worse or whatever, big deal. I just wasn't recovering the way I used to, so I've abandoned intensity to preserve consistency.

But good for you getting back on that horse. You'll get back to a less destroyed place before you know it.
Same. I've long abandoned intensity. I don't push myself anymore.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Mimi wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 1:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Hello,

It may help to change your definition of intensity. Think of intensity in terms of heart rate (or better - percent of heart rate max) rather than pace.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

gkbill wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 1:43pm
Mimi wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 1:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Hello,

It may help to change your definition of intensity. Think of intensity in terms of heart rate (or better - percent of heart rate max) rather than pace.
Most definitely. I don't usually monitor heart rate, though. I go by how winded I get, which is not hard for me considering allergies and shit.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Getting my shingles shot tomorrow. Any tips on not feeling like crap afterward?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy