Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 9:15pm
Can I be soundtrack editor on this show?
As well as executive produce? I assume that you'd have some kind of creator credit given that it's a spin-off.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
That's our Heston.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Sheridan Smith for Tom’s partner.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Only if I can remaster it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 7:20pm
Heston wrote:
Work your magic on WBTCORAR for me please.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 7:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
By removing all the music and lyrics?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 7:39pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
"Medulla looks forward to that FLAC of four minutes of silence"
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 7:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
For him I'll make a special megamix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 7:45pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It's still too loud. I want a mix that erases it from my memory.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 8:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 7:45pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

It's still too loud. I want a mix that erases it from my memory.
Enough! Enough! no more aaaarrrggghhh!
Attachments
7aRQwqq77srl.jpg
7aRQwqq77srl.jpg (82.66 KiB) Viewed 2374 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Since this is the thread for it, here's sharing some of my recent exploits:

i gained some weight over the last six months (the broken foot really knocked the wind out of sails in the spring and then recovery was taking place in the summer combined with some mental and phsyical lethargy from job woes) but I've been pretty good and disciplined for the last month or so, hitting the gym and running just about every day and really tightening up the diet (in the sense of general food consumption, not going on a diet per-se) and I've already lost about half the weight I put back on. I've been using three techniques:

1. Calorie tracking for food intake: I use MyFitnessPal on my phone to track what I eat. While it's basically obvious to a person when they've eaten enough or too much or whatever, forcing some focus on eating decisions pays dividends for me at least. I did this in my initial bout of losing weight and it was probably the single most effective thing I did. When I get out of the habit, there's a tendency for drinking 1-2 beers to turn into 3-5, you know how it goes...

2. Intermittent fasting: Not in the sense of skipping eating for 1 or more days at a time, but trying to not eat for 13-16 hours nightly, mostly while I sleep. There's some evidence that this form of fasting is helpful for accelerating weight loss and regulating appetite: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/int ... 8062914156

While I'd take that with a bit of a grain of salt, it has the very obvious benefit of stopping late night snacking which keeps from eating more than I planned and also usually leads to a better night's sleep since I'm not going to bed with a bunch of food or drink churning in my stomach.

3. Regular exercise: There's evidence that exercise doesn't do as much for losing weight as one thinks, but there are other obvious psychological benefits (and weight maintenance benefits) to getting back into the habit of regular exercise. Besides recommitting to regularly running - I have a 10k coming up on Thanksgiving and I've been talking to the missus about signing up for my first full marathon next year - I've rotated weight lifting into the mix this year, which has been great. I'm finally leaning into the 80s hardcore punk aesthetic I've surrounded myself with all my life, lol. I have some buddies who hit the gym regularly, and so we can use it as a way to socialize on the reg which is a good motivator too - I've definitely felt the "hard to spend time with friends" bug bite in adulthood. We have a pretty nice municipal rec center that's a 5 minute drive from me too, which helps. Great steam room and sauna for when we wrap up, which is a nice treat.

Anyways, this has been pretty effective for me. I definitely do better when I have some sort of structure with which to think about health choices I'm making but without a ton of rules (like, around eating and such) that I'll inevitably break. I'd say the difference between now and the last time I went on a weight loss jaunt is that this time I'm incorporating the intermittent fasting as a way to curb snacking and I jettisoned some daily, short meditating I'd been doing and stopped feeling like I was getting a lot of value out of. I think "meditating apps" and the like have some uses but probably ultimately aren't as satisfying as a real medidation session led by someone with experience, so I might stick to finding some of those occasionally.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 3:21pm
Since this is the thread for it, here's sharing some of my recent exploits:

i gained some weight over the last six months (the broken foot really knocked the wind out of sails in the spring and then recovery was taking place in the summer combined with some mental and phsyical lethargy from job woes) but I've been pretty good and disciplined for the last month or so, hitting the gym and running just about every day and really tightening up the diet (in the sense of general food consumption, not going on a diet per-se) and I've already lost about half the weight I put back on. I've been using three techniques:

1. Calorie tracking for food intake: I use MyFitnessPal on my phone to track what I eat. While it's basically obvious to a person when they've eaten enough or too much or whatever, forcing some focus on eating decisions pays dividends for me at least. I did this in my initial bout of losing weight and it was probably the single most effective thing I did. When I get out of the habit, there's a tendency for drinking 1-2 beers to turn into 3-5, you know how it goes...

2. Intermittent fasting: Not in the sense of skipping eating for 1 or more days at a time, but trying to not eat for 13-16 hours nightly, mostly while I sleep. There's some evidence that this form of fasting is helpful for accelerating weight loss and regulating appetite: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/int ... 8062914156

While I'd take that with a bit of a grain of salt, it has the very obvious benefit of stopping late night snacking which keeps from eating more than I planned and also usually leads to a better night's sleep since I'm not going to bed with a bunch of food or drink churning in my stomach.

3. Regular exercise: There's evidence that exercise doesn't do as much for losing weight as one thinks, but there are other obvious psychological benefits (and weight maintenance benefits) to getting back into the habit of regular exercise. Besides recommitting to regularly running - I have a 10k coming up on Thanksgiving and I've been talking to the missus about signing up for my first full marathon next year - I've rotated weight lifting into the mix this year, which has been great. I'm finally leaning into the 80s hardcore punk aesthetic I've surrounded myself with all my life, lol. I have some buddies who hit the gym regularly, and so we can use it as a way to socialize on the reg which is a good motivator too - I've definitely felt the "hard to spend time with friends" bug bite in adulthood. We have a pretty nice municipal rec center that's a 5 minute drive from me too, which helps. Great steam room and sauna for when we wrap up, which is a nice treat.

Anyways, this has been pretty effective for me. I definitely do better when I have some sort of structure with which to think about health choices I'm making but without a ton of rules (like, around eating and such) that I'll inevitably break. I'd say the difference between now and the last time I went on a weight loss jaunt is that this time I'm incorporating the intermittent fasting as a way to curb snacking and I jettisoned some daily, short meditating I'd been doing and stopped feeling like I was getting a lot of value out of. I think "meditating apps" and the like have some uses but probably ultimately aren't as satisfying as a real medidation session led by someone with experience, so I might stick to finding some of those occasionally.
Sounds like you are proper on it mate. Good luck with everything.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Good work, K. It really is a structure thing, so that acting out of the norm—whether it's overindulgence or skipping exercise—feels off. Much as I hate the grind of biking five or six days a week, it's such a part of my daily ritual that skipping a day nags at me. You'll be back to where you were before you know it.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

If I could just give up soda I'd be happy...
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 5:04pm
If I could just give up soda I'd be happy...
How much do you drink?