Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 1:47pm
revbob wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 1:28pm
First day of fall ball. I dribbled a double to 2nd, and scored and flashed some fancy leather at 1b. My hitting was awful I swear Im cursed at this one field.
A revbobbian lazy fly!
It was a grounder, somehow made it into the outfield and I ran like hell.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 1:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
First day of fall ball. I dribbled a double to 2nd, and scored and flashed some fancy leather at 1b. My hitting was awful I swear Im cursed at this one field.
A revbobbian lazy fly!
Sterling was treading water at the time and guessed.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 2:28pm
revbob wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 1:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
A revbobbian lazy fly!
Sterling was treading water at the time and guessed.
It was a Sterlingtonian call for sure.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Sea kayaking is no joke. It took us damn near 2 hours to get 2.5 miles out to the breaker island. That was going into the tide and against the wind. The return trip took 45 minutes with little effort needed. Good times.

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recor ... a35fe7f--2

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 10:31pm
Sea kayaking is no joke. It took us damn near 2 hours to get 2.5 miles out to the breaker island. That was going into the tide and against the wind. The return trip took 45 minutes with little effort needed. Good times.

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recor ... a35fe7f--2
If it's no joke, why were all those seals laughing at you?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I happened across the Facebook page of a girl from years ago and it was all Trumpy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 10:08pm
I happened across the Facebook page of a girl from years ago and it was all Trumpy.
We're reliving the experiences of people in the 1930s who were wondering how the fuck neighbours and family members who seemed relatively normal were now openly Nazi.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 6:10am
revbob wrote:
We're reliving the experiences of people in the 1930s who were wondering how the fuck neighbours and family members who seemed relatively normal were now openly Nazi.
I was discussing this exact topic with a friend a few weeks back.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 7:14am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
In a related way, the discovery (well, confirmation, really) of hundreds of unmarked graves at residential schools across Canada is like alternate history stories where the Nazis won WWII, and somehow generations grow up oblivious to the Holocaust. How could that kind of abuse and death just go on without anybody noticing? Well, that's what happened for generations of non-indigenous Canadians, oblivious to the persistent extermination of a group of people. Genocide doesn't have to be an intense, concise act, and we make a mistake in treating the Holocaust as the standard for how genocides work. So, yeah, I grew up not far from these schools, never knowing about what happened and was happening because indigenous people had been so successfully erased from public consciousness. It's a shock now—and denied by some—because of that success.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 7:55am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
In a related way, the discovery (well, confirmation, really) of hundreds of unmarked graves at residential schools across Canada is like alternate history stories where the Nazis won WWII, and somehow generations grow up oblivious to the Holocaust. How could that kind of abuse and death just go on without anybody noticing? Well, that's what happened for generations of non-indigenous Canadians, oblivious to the persistent extermination of a group of people. Genocide doesn't have to be an intense, concise act, and we make a mistake in treating the Holocaust as the standard for how genocides work. So, yeah, I grew up not far from these schools, never knowing about what happened and was happening because indigenous people had been so successfully erased from public consciousness. It's a shock now—and denied by some—because of that success.
Yeah some troubling shit for sure, and then there was also likely people in the wider community who knew about it, were silenced, afraid to speak up, just didn't care, condoned it, or participated.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 8:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 7:55am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yeah some troubling shit for sure, and then there was also likely people in the wider community who knew about it, were silenced, afraid to speak up, just didn't care, condoned it, or participated.
One of the more disturbing things to me is that, generally speaking, there wasn't overt malice at work. A few thought they were doing good by eradicating the "savage" from indigenous kids, civilizing them. But mostly it just wasn't anything to think about. Indigenous people might talk about it, but nobody was listening. It was irrelevant chatter from people who basically didn't matter. And it was so natural. I didn't grow up hating First Nations kids. They just seemed poor and wore cheap clothes and didn't come to school often. And on that basis they were less than us middle-class kids. That was their natural role, it seemed. So, again, how does a genocide persist? It ain't that hard, really, when there's no reason to notice what's happening around you.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Long walks on the beach.
WhatsApp Image 2021-09-20 at 8.59.38 PM.jpeg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 9:08pm
Long walks on the beach.

Say, how come sometimes there's just one set of footprints?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 6:12am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Long walks on the beach.

Because he was the only one there?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 8:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 6:12am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Long walks on the beach.

Because he was the only one there?
Having met Dave, I can appreciate Jesus telling him to fuck off and instead going to play Gorf at the arcade.