Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 6:45pm
Ha! You're eating four-leaf clovers and shitting horseshoes. But you've now got a solid rainy day/winter option, so I'm pleased as punch for you.
:lol: Thanks man. Just back from my ride. Did my planned 14 miles, and then to celebrate my success with the NordicTrack, I tacked on 0.8 miles to the liquor store. Pleased to report that 2 bottles of wine fit very nicely (if a bit tightly) in my rear bike bag.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 6:48pm
First day with the bumsavers (that's their brand name) and the results were super positive. Way better than padded bike shorts because of the location of the padding.
Excellent news. Hope they work out for you. Sounds like I'm not the only one dropping horseshoe deuces today! :mrgreen:
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

3 weeks since my meniscus surgery, I started PT yesterday and I was able to get a 1 mile slow paced walk in this morning, iced my knee when I got home, feel pretty good so far. Hope to be back to walking / jogging/ running in about a month or so.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Sparky wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 11:40am
3 weeks since my meniscus surgery, I started PT yesterday and I was able to get a 1 mile slow paced walk in this morning, iced my knee when I got home, feel pretty good so far. Hope to be back to walking / jogging/ running in about a month or so.
Hello,

Good luck! Work with your therapist as they are usually really good.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
Three weeks already? Time flies. But congrats on the steady progress.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

gkbill wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 11:59am
Sparky wrote:
Hello,

Good luck! Work with your therapist as they are usually really good.
Thank you. I had already started trying to bend it a bit the afternoon of the surgery, and I also started some light stretching last week so that it wouldn't be locked up and stiff when I went in for PT. When they ask about my goals, I tell them I plan on doing some light running again, so they are aware of my target and will tailor my PT to match the goal.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 12:13pm
Sparky wrote:
Thanks Doc, yeah, time flies when you're having fun sitting on your duff watching YT videos all day, huh? :rolleyes:
Hope those biking shorts give you some relief, I have a pair, but for the little bit of recreational pedaling I do, the padded seat is just fine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 12:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 12:13pm
Sparky wrote:
Thanks Doc, yeah, time flies when you're having fun sitting on your duff watching YT videos all day, huh? :rolleyes:
Hope those biking shorts give you some relief, I have a pair, but for the little bit of recreational pedaling I do, the padded seat is just fine.
Yup, the padding right on the tailbone is exactly I need. The padded seat on the bike and rower is sufficient for my butt.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
Best of luck with your continued recovery Sparky. A month will go by quickly. Hope you can get back to some light running soon.
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 12:59pm
Sparky wrote:
Best of luck with your continued recovery Sparky. A month will go by quickly. Hope you can get back to some light running soon.
Thanks you sir! I'm terribly impatient when it comes to healing (ok, everything) so it's a struggle to pace myself right now. I did buy a new pair of running shoes today with more cushioning, hoping that and better technique avoids any further knee issues.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Sparky wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 6:38pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Thanks you sir! I'm terribly impatient when it comes to healing (ok, everything) so it's a struggle to pace myself right now. I did buy a new pair of running shoes today with more cushioning, hoping that and better technique avoids any further knee issues.
Hello,

You may want to start on a treadmill (for cushioning). Avoid concrete (the worst), then asphalt (second worst). Now might be a good time to begin trail running - softer surface and generally shorter strides (less impact).

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

gkbill wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 9:10pm
Sparky wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 6:38pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Hello,

You may want to start on a treadmill (for cushioning). Avoid concrete (the worst), then asphalt (second worst). Now might be a good time to begin trail running - softer surface and generally shorter strides (less impact).
Thanks, great advice. I no longer have a treadmill, but I do have an elliptical, so I may start using that again soon. I don't really have any trails around where I live, but I'm pretty careful to stay on asphalt instead of concrete and to always use good shoes which I swap out when the soles begin to wear down (running shoes become my casual kicking around shoes).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Game night tonight. I was 4/4, two runs scored. Almost overran my teammate at 2nd (I hate batting behind slow people). I was doing a lot of running and I foolishly didn't eat/drink much today but slammed two beers to start the game. I got hot/sweaty and nauseous after going hard from 1st to home. I puked behind the dugout and lay on the cool grass. I managed to only miss one inning but I think I'll try better nutrition on game days in the future.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 9:37pm
Game night tonight. I was 4/4, two runs scored. Almost overran my teammate at 2nd (I hate batting behind slow people). I was doing a lot of running and I foolishly didn't eat/drink much today but slammed two beers to start the game. I got hot/sweaty and nauseous after going hard from 1st to home. I puked behind the dugout and lay on the cool grass. I managed to only miss one inning but I think I'll try better nutrition on game days in the future.
You have confirmed your status as middle-aged-playing-sports guy. :cool:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 9:52pm
revbob wrote:
Yeah its harder to perform on just beer and chips these days.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 10:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 9:52pm
revbob wrote:
Yeah its harder to perform on just beer and chips these days.
I can hook you with some greenies. Meet me in White River Junction.