Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by Flex »

The 5 miler reminds me to, I suppose, share that I've been back at the running after it falling almost totally out after, totally coincidentally I'm sure, the birth of little duder. I got a running stroller so I just take him with me. I'm feeling okay-ish. I'm training for a 10k at red rocks in early october and I should be back in shape enough to do that decently. Hard to find time for any of the weight-lifting and what-have-you that I used to like to do, but trying not to let the mental block of not being able to do everything prevent me from doing anything.

Also trying not to worry about dropping 10, 20, whatever pounds. Bad juju to focus on that stuff. Just want to feel good and get some exercise in that helps my mental and physical state. I check in on my weight and some other health metrics as a matter of practice, but I'm foregoing calorie counting and shit like that that I used to do - partly because I want to make sure I don't have body and food stigmatizing habits as little duder starts getting older and absorbing what his parents are doing.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 3:59pm
The 5 miler reminds me to, I suppose, share that I've been back at the running after it falling almost totally out after, totally coincidentally I'm sure, the birth of little duder. I got a running stroller so I just take him with me. I'm feeling okay-ish. I'm training for a 10k at red rocks in early october and I should be back in shape enough to do that decently. Hard to find time for any of the weight-lifting and what-have-you that I used to like to do, but trying not to let the mental block of not being able to do everything prevent me from doing anything.

Also trying not to worry about dropping 10, 20, whatever pounds. Bad juju to focus on that stuff. Just want to feel good and get some exercise in that helps my mental and physical state. I check in on my weight and some other health metrics as a matter of practice, but I'm foregoing calorie counting and shit like that that I used to do - partly because I want to make sure I don't have body and food stigmatizing habits as little duder starts getting older and absorbing what his parents are doing.
You're disgustingly sensible about all that. How are you going to fuck up the kid's sense of themselves?
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 4:20pm
Flex wrote:

You're disgustingly sensible about all that. How are you going to fuck up the kid's sense of themselves?
I plan to instill a deep rooted psychological fear of being a poser

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 4:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 4:20pm
Flex wrote:

I plan to instill a deep rooted psychological fear of being a poser
That's a solid start. Will you rely more on DMB or The Exploited to initiate this?
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 4:31pm
That's a solid start. Will you rely more on DMB or The Exploited to initiate this?
"If you don't love every track on this exploited/DMB mix CD I'm leaving you on the outskirts of town and you have to walk home"

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 4:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
"If you don't love every track on this exploited/DMB mix CD I'm leaving you on the outskirts of town and you have to walk home"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 4:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Darkness on the edge of town. Yep if The Exploited and DMB don't get him then Bruce will.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:

Well my hats off to you if you can run a 10k at such a high elevation. I'm running basically close to sea level, when we go camping in the mountains, running just kicks my butt.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I am going in a different direction than Flex and embracing the bad juju stuff like obsessive exercise and calorie counting. A few months ago I realized that I was a full 40 pounds heavier than when I ran the marathon in 2008. I'm not crash dieting but instead am eating smaller meals with twice as many vegetables. I've started using a nutrition app and an exercise app. I've found the biggest enemies are read meat and beer, two things I do enjoy. I'm not totally denying myself these things, just limiting. So far so good. I am down almost 10 pounds (almost a stone to you lime eaters).
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-02 at 1.41.32 PM.jpeg

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 1:52pm
I am going in a different direction than Flex and embracing the bad juju stuff like obsessive exercise and calorie counting. A few months ago I realized that I was a full 40 pounds heavier than when I ran the marathon in 2008. I'm not crash dieting but instead am eating smaller meals with twice as many vegetables. I've started using a nutrition app and an exercise app. I've found the biggest enemies are read meat and beer, two things I do enjoy. I'm not totally denying myself these things, just limiting. So far so good. I am down almost 10 pounds (almost a stone to you lime eaters).
Hey if it serves as inspiration you're still nearly 10lbs heavier than I.

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 4:59pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Ten pounds of manly pecker. I’ll take the hit on the scale.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 5:43pm
revbob wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 4:59pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Ten pounds of manly pecker. I’ll take the hit on the scale.
Well said. Enjoy the old country. Be sure to try and impress the locals with how much you know.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
I am going in a different direction than Flex and embracing the bad juju stuff like obsessive exercise and calorie counting.
It works! Also, switch to wine and make beer an occasional treat. You still get to get plastered that way.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BostonBeaneater

Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 5:01pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I am going in a different direction than Flex and embracing the bad juju stuff like obsessive exercise and calorie counting.
It works! Also, switch to wine and make beer an occasional treat. You still get to get plastered that way.
There are tons of little tricks!
87CBB659-E61D-424F-95CB-E4991E43740D.jpeg

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 6:47pm
Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 5:01pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
There are tons of little tricks!

87CBB659-E61D-424F-95CB-E4991E43740D.jpeg
Now that's a surprise! I have a sports watch I use to monitor my health & fitness, but I've been too lazy to input my estimated calorie intake, may have to try to start doing so after seeing that.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung