Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Had a great night's sleep and while I woke up with that "grain of sand on the eyeball" feeling, a few rounds of drops this morning and things are already feeling decent. I think I'm around the corner on this.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 9:00am
Thanks for the kind words, folks. Had a great night's sleep and while I woke up with that "grain of sand on the eyeball" feeling, a few rounds of drops this morning and things are already feeling decent. I think I'm around the corner on this.
Good to hear this mate. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Good news mate, take care.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

This is good to hear. The most irritating injury I ever had throughout my athletic career was a scratched cornea. I'm glad you're on the mend - just in time for finals!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 11:24am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

This is good to hear. The most irritating injury I ever had throughout my athletic career was a scratched cornea. I'm glad you're on the mend - just in time for finals!
It's a sight to behold, the students who have given up and checked out or are just coasting at this point. You know it's coming, but it's still something as attendance drops and the whole thing limps to a conclusion.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Anything involving your vision shouldn't be taken lightly. Glad to hear your on the mend.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 12:09pm
gkbill wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 11:24am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

It's a sight to behold, the students who have given up and checked out or are just coasting at this point. You know it's coming, but it's still something as attendance drops and the whole thing limps to a conclusion.
Hello,

I have noticed an increased amount of fatigue in students here as well. Although it seems counter-intuitive, the lack of energy needed for attending classes via Zoom seems to have increased student fatigue. Dis-engagement is probably the real culprit.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 12:20pm
I have noticed an increased amount of fatigue in students here as well. Although it seems counter-intuitive, the lack of energy needed for attending classes via Zoom seems to have increased student fatigue. Dis-engagement is probably the real culprit.
We just got the results of a student survey for how they're dealing with this term. 75% said they felt isolated in their classes. Okay, well, yeah, you're at home, not a classroom—it stinks for all of us. But the vast majority of students keep their camera off. Want to feel like part of a group? Look at each other. Smile and laugh and all that on camera. As with most things, simply trying makes all the difference, whether it's asking questions, coming to class, or interacting virtually. Some lectures I'm literally talking to myself—I have students, but I'm the only one with my camera on, so while a yammer on, I'm looking at my window. Students have also complained about professors not being up to speed with the technology. Yup, esp. the older ones have struggled (about a month in I solved my most common tech problems). But some of that shit is on them, too, for not making an effort to provide feedback directly to us. A lot of of shrugging for me at this point because I've more than met people halfway.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dedicated to the doc.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 1:11pm
Dedicated to the doc.

And here I thought your were going to make a joke that was all cornea and shit. Clearly I'm not an apt pupil.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 1:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dedicated to the doc.

And here I thought your were going to make a joke that was all cornea and shit. Clearly I'm not an apt pupil.
Eye sore that coming. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 12:50pm
gkbill wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 12:20pm
We just got the results of a student survey for how they're dealing with this term. 75% said they felt isolated in their classes. Okay, well, yeah, you're at home, not a classroom—it stinks for all of us. But the vast majority of students keep their camera off. Want to feel like part of a group? Look at each other. Smile and laugh and all that on camera. As with most things, simply trying makes all the difference, whether it's asking questions, coming to class, or interacting virtually. Some lectures I'm literally talking to myself—I have students, but I'm the only one with my camera on, so while a yammer on, I'm looking at my window. Students have also complained about professors not being up to speed with the technology. Yup, esp. the older ones have struggled (about a month in I solved my most common tech problems). But some of that shit is on them, too, for not making an effort to provide feedback directly to us. A lot of of shrugging for me at this point because I've more than met people halfway.
Hello,

I require students to enable video. If they don't have their camera on them (and I can see their face), I call them out. I've also required they cannot be in bed (or driving - I actually had a student trying to attend class while driving) and I ask a lot of questions and call on people ("Okay, Chandler, unmute and tell me about the components of imagery"). I probably ask for "Thumbs up if you understand this" 10 times an hour - and I check who does and doesn't have their thumb up. My setup allows me to share the screen as well as see the thumbnails of students. MY classes are that large - all are under 30 - so this is do-able. Graduate students are much different - but many undergrads online try to hide.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 1:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dedicated to the doc.

Eye sore that coming. ;)
Lens not have it be a problem, tho.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 1:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dedicated to the doc.

Eye sore that coming. ;)
No problem eye put a lid on it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 2:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 1:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dedicated to the doc.

Eye sore that coming. ;)
No problem eye put a lid on it.
Hello,

Iris it would just go away...