Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 12:44pm
matedog wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 12:40pm
I turn 40 next year. I weigh the same weight I have since I was 19, haven't lost hair, and eye sight is 20/20. That's great and all, but man that shit won't last and having shit fall apart later in life is going to make it harder for me to deal with I suspect.
Eye sight should be good another 10 years. In the meantime just keep doing what you've been doing.
I'm definitely showing wrinkles on my face now and haven't been legit carded (grocery store doesn't count) in maybe four years, so that's something.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 12:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 12:29pm
Had to get some multi-vitamins today. I get the 50+ because, presumably, all my organs are failing now. Person at the till asked whether I qualified for the over-55 discount. I said not yet. She gave me the discount anyway. I'm on the "hurry up and die already" discount train now. Choo *cough cough* choo!
"Hey, seem really decrepit. Have a pity discount""
I … can't rebut this. :disshame:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
I turn 40 next year. I weigh the same weight I have since I was 19, haven't lost hair, and eye sight is 20/20. That's great and all, but man that shit won't last and having shit fall apart later in life is going to make it harder for me to deal with I suspect.
Sounds like me at your age. Right about age 41 I started to need reading glasses to see a map book. Had lasick at around age 50, that was good for about 9 years, now I'm back to needing readers to see things up close.
This getting old stuff isn't for sissies!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
I'll be 40 in February. I recently lost the 17 lbs I gained since high school (although my weight is distributed differently than it used to be then so I still feel flabby). Eyesight is ok, might need glasses for night driving. Hair has thinned a bit, but not enough to be noticeable to the man on the street. I'm on Dutasteride to preserve what I have. I think my face is starting to show its age, despite people telling me otherwise. I think about almost nothing else during the day besides the ways in which I'm not working at peak biological efficiency anymore.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 1:31pm
Well, I dunno. I consider myself a sissy and I'm breaking down left and right, up and down. :disshame:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

40's were awesome, I was in the best shape of my life, working outdoors driving a boat, it was wonderful....now 50 is a completely story, everything's breaking down but I have love and I still have all my hair and teeth and enjoying all the memories that I have. It's been a good life, difficult at times but I've learned and grown so much since I was was a hardcore punk rocker in my teens.

I kinda dig getting older, what choice do you have, I like the fact that I'm still open minded and not too jaded except when it comes to politics. I think I came up at just the right time and wouldn't change a thing

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

coffeepotman wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 5:06pm
I kinda dig getting older, what choice do you have, I like the fact that I'm still open minded and not too jaded except when it comes to politics. I think I came up at just the right time and wouldn't change a thing
Apart from some physical slowing down and the like, I have no problem with getting older. As you say, we have no choice, but I don't fight it and pretend I'm still 20. And my experiences, I think, have made me more compassionate and tolerant. I wish I weren't quite so jaded about the future, but it is what it is. Those of us who came of age in the 80s and 90s had that wariness burned into us. I envy younger people who are more optimistic and hope they can translate it into good deeds, but I've just got too much psychic baggage.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 2:17pm
Sparky wrote:
Well, I dunno. I consider myself a sissy and I'm breaking down left and right, up and down. :disshame:
Not a chance, you're a teacher, nowadays that takes some stones.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 8:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 2:17pm
Sparky wrote:
Not a chance, you're a teacher, nowadays that takes some stones.
I assure you, I'm a big whiny baby.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 5:15pm
coffeepotman wrote:
Apart from some physical slowing down and the like, I have no problem with getting older. As you say, we have no choice, but I don't fight it and pretend I'm still 20. And my experiences, I think, have made me more compassionate and tolerant. I wish I weren't quite so jaded about the future, but it is what it is. Those of us who came of age in the 80s and 90s had that wariness burned into us. I envy younger people who are more optimistic and hope they can translate it into good deeds, but I've just got too much psychic baggage.
Ah yes but I do feel sorry for Gen Z, all they know is war, terrorism, Trump, pandemic, cell phones, the list goes on. My wife teaches 9th graders, all born in the 21st century and those kids have all sorts of emotional issues.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

coffeepotman wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 9:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
Ah yes but I do feel sorry for Gen Z, all they know is war, terrorism, Trump, pandemic, cell phones, the list goes on. My wife teaches 9th graders, all born in the 21st century and those kids have all sorts of emotional issues.
My son is doing surprisingly well all things considered. My daughter I think struggled more. Teenage girls (no offense ladies) can be real cunts to each other.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

coffeepotman wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 9:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
Fair. My experience with young people are tail-end Millennials and elder Z, and they seem a lot more hopeful than our cohorts ever were.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I have faith in the younger generations, we (GenX) were so put down by the Boomers that we just accepted we were losers and said yeah, whatever, nevermind. The millennials stood up to the Boomers and Gen Z might not even know what a Boomer is. It's a tough world we left them but I have faith.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I've got my colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow. So far, I'm not freaking out too much. I am prone to anxiety, especially health anxiety, so I'm proud of myself for keeping things level (for now, at least). I have to take my first dose of the prep liquid at 5 tonight. Biggest thing right now is that I'm so hungry. I'm not a big eater, but this all liquid thing is no good. I'm going to have to run out and get some veggie broth or something. I know getting this done is the right thing to do, but I've never had one before and it's a little scary.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Dec 2022, 2:40pm
I've got my colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow. So far, I'm not freaking out too much. I am prone to anxiety, especially health anxiety, so I'm proud of myself for keeping things level (for now, at least). I have to take my first dose of the prep liquid at 5 tonight. Biggest thing right now is that I'm so hungry. I'm not a big eater, but this all liquid thing is no good. I'm going to have to run out and get some veggie broth or something. I know getting this done is the right thing to do, but I've never had one before and it's a little scary.
You're going to be fine mate. Stick to the prep plan and drink when it says you can. Make sure you're never too far away from the toilet. Take it easy on yourself and realise that it will soon be over. Thinking of you and all the very best.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia