Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 7:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 7:13pm
revbob wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 6:42pm
matedog wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 4:46pm
Mimi wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 4:15pm

Don't beat yourself up. It doesn't take much to pull your back out.
So you are saying i'm not old right?
I worked with a guy who threw his back out sneezing. I was 21 at the time and thought he was old at 35.
There was a Cub—Sosa, I think—who allegedly hurt his back or broke a rib while sneezing.
It was Sosa. I remember when that happened.
Which means it was actually ‘roids.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Mimi wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 7:00pm
matedog wrote:
Mimi wrote:
matedog wrote:
27 Dec 2021, 1:30pm
Since I can't go to the gym anymore, I do pullups at the playground when I go with June. Other than pushups at home, it's basically the only strength workouts I do. I don't know what happened, but I tweaked my back doing them. It didn't hurt at the time, but my lower back hurts so damn much and makes me feel so damn old. The angle I have to hunch over and pick up my 10lb baby just kills me.

Fuck, I swear I'm not old.
You're not old.
:cool:
Wife has me on an ibuprofen regiment. We'll see if that helps.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
28 Dec 2021, 11:28am
Mimi wrote:
matedog wrote:
Mimi wrote:
matedog wrote:
Since I can't go to the gym anymore, I do pullups at the playground when I go with June. Other than pushups at home, it's basically the only strength workouts I do. I don't know what happened, but I tweaked my back doing them. It didn't hurt at the time, but my lower back hurts so damn much and makes me feel so damn old. The angle I have to hunch over and pick up my 10lb baby just kills me.

You're not old.
Go easy mate. Good luck getting your back straight.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
Mimi wrote:
matedog wrote:
Mimi wrote:
matedog wrote:

You're not old.
Have you ever tried one of those heated belts you can microwave and put around your lower back? We've got a couple of them, they're my go to when I have back pain.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Sparky wrote:
28 Dec 2021, 2:17pm
matedog wrote:
Mimi wrote:
matedog wrote:
Mimi wrote:

You're not old.
Have you ever tried one of those heated belts you can microwave and put around your lower back? We've got a couple of them, they're my go to when I have back pain.
Not yet. I tried a roller but that hurt more than anything. I'll see how this goes, it seems to be feeling better.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

matedog wrote:
28 Dec 2021, 3:18pm
Sparky wrote:
28 Dec 2021, 2:17pm
matedog wrote:
Mimi wrote:
matedog wrote:

You're not old.
Not yet. I tried a roller but that hurt more than anything. I'll see how this goes, it seems to be feeling better.
Oh god, no. No roller. Ice first. Then heat.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Lower back pain is still there. The crazy thing is that I have no idea what caused it, it just appeared one morning. It kept me up on Saturday night, which was a first. I slept better last night, but it's hanging on. I feel like I went through something like this a few years back and it eventually just went away. In the meantime, I'm taking ibuprofen and applying heat.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Back about 20 years ago I zigged when I should have zagged and through out my back, It was the worst thing and took for ever to get better. I ended up in physical therapy for weeks and also used a big styrophoam roller. It eventually got better and never happened again, strange thing. Never actually knew what caused it.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

See a Physical Therapist. A few years ago, I had back pain come on fairly quickly - putting on socks took ~10 minutes. I had slight spinal stenosis. A PT gave me some very good exercises and I got full functioning very quickly. Ice only to alleviate pain. Heat and stretching are best bets.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

I'd suggest seeing a physical therapist and or a chiropractor. Years ago when I wrenched my back, a chiropractor I saw who was very in to sport medicine gave me some stretches to do first thing each morning. 30+ years later, still doing them. My back goes out a couple times yearly, but nothing like it used to do.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

It was better yesterday and today, so I'll watch it a few more days, but if it doesn't continue to improve I will definitely get it checked out.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Weep, o mortals, for I am menthol and cinnamon, I am Tiger Balm! It's the only ointment I've found that does a damn for sore muscles, and I decided my lower back needed it. The initial burn is nasty—like, a good 7 or 8 minutes—but then it loosens things up beautifully.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 10:40am
Weep, o mortals, for I am menthol and cinnamon, I am Tiger Balm! It's the only ointment I've found that does a damn for sore muscles, and I decided my lower back needed it. The initial burn is nasty—like, a good 7 or 8 minutes—but then it loosens things up beautifully.
When I lived with the basketball team in undergrad, one of their hazing things was getting all the first-years liquored up, leading them into the basement and, in total darkness, telling them to put on a jockstrap... which had been coated in Tiger Balm.

I didn't play and had no idea what they were up to until my peaceful evening was shattered by the screams. X(

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 4:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
When I lived with the basketball team in undergrad, one of their hazing things was getting all the first-years liquored up, leading them into the basement and, in total darkness, telling them to put on a jockstrap... which had been coated in Tiger Balm.

I didn't play and had no idea what they were up to until my peaceful evening was shattered by the screams. X(
That's legit evil. I guess being boozed up would help numb things a bit, but still … evil.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Inder wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 4:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I know this isn't the point, but did you play for the basketball team or did you live with them because you are so tall? :shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy