Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 10:00am
Sparky wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 9:51am
Wife & I got our first shingles vaccine yesterday, felt fine all day but woke up with chills and body aches last night, didn't sleep much at all. Looked at my sports watch and my stress levels were off the charts all night, very similar to when we got our 2nd COVID vaccine. Knowing family members and a few friends that have suffered with shingles, the discomfort I'm experiencing is a small price to pay in the bigger scheme of things. Just bummed because today is my running / walking day and I'm going to have to pass on it because I'm out of it. Maybe later today if I'm feeling better, if not, tomorrow.
Yeesh. Sorry to hear that you had a bad reaction.

I assume your reha is coming along as expected?
Thanks Doc, Had my annual flu shot a month or so ago, zero side effects. I just hope this isn't the shape of things to come, that every little vaccine makes me feel like shit!
My walk / run routine is up to 4 miles every other day, pacing myself with a 2 minute jog followed by a 3 minute walk. Saw the doctor for the final time Monday, he said everything looks really good.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 10:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Wife & I got our first shingles vaccine yesterday, felt fine all day but woke up with chills and body aches last night, didn't sleep much at all. Looked at my sports watch and my stress levels were off the charts all night, very similar to when we got our 2nd COVID vaccine. Knowing family members and a few friends that have suffered with shingles, the discomfort I'm experiencing is a small price to pay in the bigger scheme of things. Just bummed because today is my running / walking day and I'm going to have to pass on it because I'm out of it. Maybe later today if I'm feeling better, if not, tomorrow.

Thanks Doc, Had my annual flu shot a month or so ago, zero side effects. I just hope this isn't the shape of things to come, that every little vaccine makes me feel like shit!
My walk / run routine is up to 4 miles every other day, pacing myself with a 2 minute jog followed by a 3 minute walk. Saw the doctor for the final time Monday, he said everything looks really good.
Fantastic news. Fingers crossed that your knees don't let you down again.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 10:56am
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

I've just got to be smarter about it by running every other day in order to allow for recovery time and not trying to run 8 minute miles anymore. That ship has sailed!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 11:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 10:56am
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

I've just got to be smarter about it by running every other day in order to allow for recovery time and not trying to run 8 minute miles anymore. That ship has sailed!
I've mentioned before that I'm doing that with my cycling and rowing. I just don't have it in me anymore to push myself like an idiot anymore. I was losing more and more days to minor injuries and just basic recovery. So I put in my kilometres, ignore the time, and leave it at that. Kind of liberating in its own way. I knew it'd eventually happen, that my stamina would start to be a problem, but so be it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I made a great leaping play on a line drive over my head saving two runs but later missed a shoe string line drive to my right and that's all I can think about

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 10:19pm
I made a great leaping play on a line drive over my head saving two runs but later missed a shoe string line drive to my right and that's all I can think about
The boos from the crowd were heard here in Ottawa.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
As I've said before, at least you're out doing it, I can't recall the last time I played ball. Now if you'd missed both, that would be different.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 6:57am
revbob wrote:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 9:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
From the editors: The previous claim that the boos from the crowd were heard in Ottawa was in error. The boos related to the misplay were actually coming from Ottawa. We regret the mistake.
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 13 Oct 2021, 9:56am, edited 1 time in total.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, I twisted my ankle last night while walking my dog. And not even on the hilly part of the walk. On my driveway. My flat driveway.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 9:35am
revbob wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, I twisted my ankle last night while walking my dog. And not even on the hilly part of the walk. On my driveway. My flat driveway.
First day with feet?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 9:56am
JennyB wrote:
revbob wrote:
First day with feet?
Surprisingly, no!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 10:47am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 9:56am
JennyB wrote:
revbob wrote:
First day with feet?
Surprisingly, no!
There might be federal training programs you might look into.

(I can mock because I've grown more tippy in the last few years. Not to the point of falling, but plenty of pausing to right myself and I always use the handrail on stairs.)

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 9:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I thought that was Pitbull. Dale!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

JennyB wrote:
revbob wrote:
Hello,

The referee should have given the driveway a yellow card.