Stuff people like that I think sucks...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Stuff people like that I think sucks...

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 2:19pm
My interest was piqued with RH via In Rainbows and their distribution model. I respect it, but I wish they used their powers to make more interesting music.
Yeah. Ultimately, they’re a band I’d be “eh, they’re fine” about if everyone didn’t line up to push them onto a pedestal for like a solid decade as I got less and less impressed by their actual output. There are still Radiohead fans that actually assume I’m lying when I say I don’t care for OK Computer, but 20 years ago, insufficient deference brought out VITRIOL.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Craft beer!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 2:43pm
Flex wrote:
My interest was piqued with RH via In Rainbows and their distribution model. I respect it, but I wish they used their powers to make more interesting music.
Yeah. Ultimately, they’re a band I’d be “eh, they’re fine” about if everyone didn’t line up to push them onto a pedestal for like a solid decade as I got less and less impressed by their actual output. There are still Radiohead fans that actually assume I’m lying when I say I don’t care for OK Computer, but 20 years ago, insufficient deference brought out VITRIOL.
Admittedly, I do it with some bands, too, but it's such an odd means of shaping one's view, by hostility toward the ardent support of fans and critics, which the band has no control over. When I've had students declare they hate the Beatles or think they're overrated, prodding revealed it has nothing to do with the Beatles but the support of critics, their parents, and/or fans. Personal aesthetic taste should be enough, or if one wants to deeper and critique on some greater ideological point, but fans and haters get sucked into strange slots of objectivity, character, contrariness, or politics. Good conversations can be had even when it's just about aesthetic taste, but too often it goes into harsher assumptions of character or values that amps up the passions. As always, fans ruin everything.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 2:53pm
Craft beer!
I'd agree if we were just taking IPAs, can't stand the really fruity or zesty or whatever they use to describe them. There is also a thing as too much hops.

However, a real stout or porter is a different kettle of fish for me, and it can be a meal substitute so another plus there.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 3:02pm
101Walterton wrote:
Craft beer!
I'd agree if we were just taking IPAs, can't stand the really fruity or zesty or whatever they use to describe them. There is also a thing as too much hops.

However, a real stout or porter is a different kettle of fish for me, and it can be a meal substitute so another plus there.
The whole lot and the stupid Hipster Pop-Up pubs they drink them in that look more like a 1970’s boy’s bedroom.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Craft beer!
Fucking daft beer more like.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BitterTom wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Craft beer!

I agree with this post.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JennyB wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 3:12pm
BitterTom wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Craft beer!

I agree with this post.
Nah if I want that I will drink Guinness.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 2:59pm
Wolter wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 2:43pm
Flex wrote:
Admittedly, I do it with some bands, too, but it's such an odd means of shaping one's view, by hostility toward the ardent support of fans and critics, which the band has no control over. When I've had students declare they hate the Beatles or think they're overrated, prodding revealed it has nothing to do with the Beatles but the support of critics, their parents, and/or fans. Personal aesthetic taste should be enough, or if one wants to deeper and critique on some greater ideological point, but fans and haters get sucked into strange slots of objectivity, character, contrariness, or politics. Good conversations can be had even when it's just about aesthetic taste, but too often it goes into harsher assumptions of character or values that amps up the passions. As always, fans ruin everything.
I think it’s less that I hate Radiohead more because if their fans and more that I feel less bad about being obnoxious in my dismissal, because fuck their fans.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 2:28pm
Kory wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 2:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 6:25am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 10:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 4:56pm

OK Computer is still superb and deserves its acclaim. Everything that follows is ain't much to my tastes, a few songs here and there aside (e.g., I've come around to really liking "Burn the Witch").
Coming soon: The OK Computer Laser Show
https://www.mos.org/planetarium/laser-floyd-dark-side
I don't see a Radiohead-PF connection, other than being supposedly self-important and all that. OKC is a really cynical, despairing, end-of-the-millenium anxiety kind of record, not a blow-your-mind-with-lasers thing.
Later period Floyd is extremely cynical, I think. Between things like Have a Cigar, Welcome to the Machine, the entirety of the Animals album, and lots of The Wall and The Final Cut, they were perhaps the angriest dinosaurs walking.

I agree with your assessment of RH as worthy of respect in terms of artistic ambition and VFM, it's just not a sound I'm bowled over by.
Yeah, I should have acknoweledged the darkness of latter PF. I was bouncing off the laser show, blow-your-brain part.

I'm actually giving In Rainbows another shot right now. It's basically a shrug for me. I don't hate it, but it doesn't spark my mind or body in any way. It's just not engaging to me, it's just … playing.
I will say that I was hanging with some friends back in '04 or '05 and they had a live Radiohead DVD on which I found reasonably engaging. They may be more interesting to watch than to listen to.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Craft beer!

I agree with this post.
I'm with Jenny and Angry Tom.

And 101 I like Guinness but I can go to my local store and find 10 better stouts easily. Guinness is my go to when all a place has that isn't the usual mass produced suspects or ridiculously hopped IPAs. I mean seriously not liking a good craft beer is like saying you like burgers, as long as they come from McDonalds (or similar places).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 4:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 2:28pm
Kory wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 2:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 6:25am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 10:04pm

Coming soon: The OK Computer Laser Show
https://www.mos.org/planetarium/laser-floyd-dark-side
I don't see a Radiohead-PF connection, other than being supposedly self-important and all that. OKC is a really cynical, despairing, end-of-the-millenium anxiety kind of record, not a blow-your-mind-with-lasers thing.
Later period Floyd is extremely cynical, I think. Between things like Have a Cigar, Welcome to the Machine, the entirety of the Animals album, and lots of The Wall and The Final Cut, they were perhaps the angriest dinosaurs walking.

I agree with your assessment of RH as worthy of respect in terms of artistic ambition and VFM, it's just not a sound I'm bowled over by.
Yeah, I should have acknoweledged the darkness of latter PF. I was bouncing off the laser show, blow-your-brain part.

I'm actually giving In Rainbows another shot right now. It's basically a shrug for me. I don't hate it, but it doesn't spark my mind or body in any way. It's just not engaging to me, it's just … playing.
I will say that I was hanging with some friends back in '04 or '05 and they had a live Radiohead DVD on which I found reasonably engaging. They may be more interesting to watch than to listen to.
I have a copy of the Meeting People Is Easy, the tour film for OKC. It's okayish. But I think the only concert film that ever made me take notice was Stop Making Sense, so I might be the wrong audience for those kinds of things.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

revbob wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 4:53pm
JennyB wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Craft beer!

I agree with this post.
I'm with Jenny and Angry Tom.

And 101 I like Guinness but I can go to my local store and find 10 better stouts easily. Guinness is my go to when all a place has that isn't the usual mass produced suspects or ridiculously hopped IPAs. I mean seriously not liking a good craft beer is like saying you like burgers, as long as they come from McDonalds (or similar places).
Hey I'm not angry, just bitter.

Like your reply though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 4:53pm
And 101 I like Guinness but I can go to my local store and find 10 better stouts easily. Guinness is my go to when all a place has that isn't the usual mass produced suspects or ridiculously hopped IPAs.
Yeah, that's where I am. I actually find Guinness a bit watery in flavour and texture. It's never my choice unless the other options are nasty.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Craft beer is sometimes good and sometimes (often) overwrought and annoying. Radiohead is overwrought and annoying.