Stuff people like that I think sucks...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Stuff people like that I think sucks...

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 10:15pm
450px-Old_speckled_hen.jpg
I don’t drink much at home anymore but when I do, it would be something like an old speckled hen or london pride. In pubs I’m not particular, happy to drink whatever the house ale of choice might be, whether boddingtons or abbott or sam adams or whatever. My only red line is john smiths which must be the blandest and most tasteless beer ever brewed.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 5:23pm
revbob wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 4:53pm
JennyB wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 3:12pm
BitterTom wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 3:02pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 2:53pm
Craft beer!
I'd agree if we were just taking IPAs, can't stand the really fruity or zesty or whatever they use to describe them. There is also a thing as too much hops.

However, a real stout or porter is a different kettle of fish for me, and it can be a meal substitute so another plus there.
I agree with this post.
I'm with Jenny and Angry Tom.

And 101 I like Guinness but I can go to my local store and find 10 better stouts easily. Guinness is my go to when all a place has that isn't the usual mass produced suspects or ridiculously hopped IPAs. I mean seriously not liking a good craft beer is like saying you like burgers, as long as they come from McDonalds (or similar places).
In my experience Guinness is a drink that has never travelled well. Theres the stuff you get in the “old country” and the very pale relation they serve up any other place you go. I tend to stick with the draught cans because you know it will always be consistently drinkable at least.
Nah. It's a 4% abv stout. Though it's watery and thin, its more prominent flavor components aren't the type that dissipate quickly. We aren't talking about alpha acids in an IPA that's been sitting on a sun drenched shelf for six months. It's probably a matter of an experience affecting perception. If you are having a blast at a pub in Ireland or wowed at the facility, it might seem like something special, but the idea that "Guinness is better in Ireland" is a myth.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

matedog wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 10:27am
Low Down Low wrote:
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 3:02pm

I'd agree if we were just taking IPAs, can't stand the really fruity or zesty or whatever they use to describe them. There is also a thing as too much hops.

However, a real stout or porter is a different kettle of fish for me, and it can be a meal substitute so another plus there.
I agree with this post.

And 101 I like Guinness but I can go to my local store and find 10 better stouts easily. Guinness is my go to when all a place has that isn't the usual mass produced suspects or ridiculously hopped IPAs. I mean seriously not liking a good craft beer is like saying you like burgers, as long as they come from McDonalds (or similar places).
In my experience Guinness is a drink that has never travelled well. Theres the stuff you get in the “old country” and the very pale relation they serve up any other place you go. I tend to stick with the draught cans because you know it will always be consistently drinkable at least.
Nah. It's a 4% abv stout. Though it's watery and thin, its more prominent flavor components aren't the type that dissipate quickly. We aren't talking about alpha acids in an IPA that's been sitting on a sun drenched shelf for six months. It's probably a matter of an experience affecting perception. If you are having a blast at a pub in Ireland or wowed at the facility, it might seem like something special, but the idea that "Guinness is better in Ireland" is a myth.
I agree with this. The problem with a lot of Guinness is that it is not stored correctly. Ice cold Guinness is awful.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 11:37am
matedog wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:

I agree with this post.

I agree with this. The problem with a lot of Guinness is that it is not stored correctly. Ice cold Guinness is awful.
I kind of agree and kind of don’t. The difference for me in Ireland is that for many pubs, most pubs really, guinness is a primary product for them so they will in most cases invest a lot of care in ensuring its quality. I don’t get that sense in other places, but like i said, that’s just my experience.

Absolutely spot on on the ice cold guinness though, that is indeed an abomination but a lot of pubs seem to assume that is how the young modern hipsters want to drink it and unless you specifically ask otherwise, that is how they assume you want it too.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Double post

BostonBeaneater

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 11:55am

I kind of agree and kind of don’t. The difference for me in Ireland is that for many pubs, most pubs really, guinness is a primary product for them so they will in most cases invest a lot of care in ensuring its quality. I don’t get that sense in other places, but like i said, that’s just my experience.

Absolutely spot on on the ice cold guinness though, that is indeed an abomination but a lot of pubs seem to assume that is how the young modern hipsters want to drink it and unless you specifically ask otherwise, that is how they assume you want it too.
I've had great Guinness in Boston, New York, and Chicago. I think you've got to know where to order it. If the place is straight out of Office Space and is called Flingers of so bullshit like that I would avoid Guinness.

Eire Pub, Boston

JJ Foleys, Boston

Donovan's, Queens

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 11:37am
matedog wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
revbob wrote:

It's certainly better in Ireland than it is in Washington.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 1:46pm
I've had great Guinness in Boston, New York, and Chicago. I think you've got to know where to order it. If the place is straight out of Office Space and is called Flingers of so bullshit like that I would avoid Guinness.

Eire Pub, Boston
Men's Bar
It's been 30 years since I was in Ireland so I can't say one way or the other. I can say that the quality in the US can vary. It will likely sell better in the places that cater to ex-pats and likely be better there.

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 2:59pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Eire Pub, Boston
Men's Bar
It's been 30 years since I was in Ireland so I can't say one way or the other. I can say that the quality in the US can vary. It will likely sell better in the places that cater to ex-pats and likely be better there.
You'll hear people speaking Irish at the Eire.
Pigs aren’t flying, hell hasn’t frozen over, but the Eire Pub just hired a female bartender
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/ ... story.html

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I think with Guinness it is a combionation of the issues raised.
There is definately a variance in taste from pub to pub city to city however I doubt the water is anything to do with it and they way the Guinness is looked after is everything to do with it. You can have a pub that does a great Guinness next door to a pub that does a crap Guinness which is probably down to the barman and how the barrels are looked after, how well / often the pipes are cleaned etc.. plus how often people drink it.

I also agree with Matedog about the experience affecting perception. Everyone who goes to Ireland drinks a pint of Guinness and talks about how great it is but they would never dream of having a Guinness in their local wherever it is in the world. It was probably those people that started the myth about it tasting better in Ireland for an excuse to drink Bacardi Breezers whilst wearing a Leprachaun hat to a nightclub on St Patricks Day.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Eire Pub, Boston

JJ Foleys, Boston

Donovan's, Queens
I don’t doubt you for a second and I’ve no doubt you can get excellent guinness in lots of places around the globe. It’s just my general experience really, which doesn’t have to be anybody else’s experience, and I’ve been drinking guinness in ireland for more years than I’m comfortable counting at this stage, so i guess that is just what I’m used to. It’s my habit too to drink the locally popular plop wherever and whenever i travel so i definitely wouldn’t be the best judge when it comes to the quality of guinness abroad to be fair.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Can I add James Corden to this list please, keep him over in America. Please.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 8:18am
Yes what a boring turd.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 10:04am
BitterTom wrote:
Yes what a boring turd.
We'll keep him (grudgingly) but you need to take Jimmy Fallon and that big chinned asshole.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 10:51am
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 10:04am
BitterTom wrote:
Yes what a boring turd.
We'll keep him (grudgingly) but you need to take Jimmy Fallon and that big chinned asshole.
Sorry no chance give us convenience or give us death.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia