NFL 2018

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: NFL 2018

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I had to break it to our cats that the kitty cat team didn't win. They handled the news stoically.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 12:28pm
50 got fat. Eminem was lip syncing, though Mary J wasn't. Kendrick's spot was great. All in all it was good, no real complaints. Everyone seemed to be having fun.
Yeah, very solid halftime. it wasn't necessarily the best ever, but real good throughout. The missus thought eminem looked like justin timberlake, which she approved of.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 12:38pm
matedog wrote:
50 got fat. Eminem was lip syncing, though Mary J wasn't. Kendrick's spot was great. All in all it was good, no real complaints. Everyone seemed to be having fun.
The missus thought eminem looked like justin timberlake
Weird how that kinda came together over 20+ years. That would have been mad shit talking in the TRL era.

What was the first hip hop act in the Super Bowl? Nelly w/Aerosmith/Britney in like 2001?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
Yeah, very solid halftime. it wasn't necessarily the best ever, but real good throughout. The missus thought eminem looked like justin timberlake, which she approved of.
It is probably the first time I sat thru it...sort of. Not a fan of Dr Dre in general, nor Eminem. That said it was good to see the music targeted to a somewhat younger and less white demographic. I predict a CW half time show for next year to try and win back the rednecks.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 12:52pm
What was the first hip hop act in the Super Bowl? Nelly w/Aerosmith/Britney in like 2001?
Yeah, looks like it from scanning the list. Nelly was just a "special guest" for that one. He'd be a primary performer in 2004 which looks like the first time rappers got main billing (also the year of the infamous Janet Jackson nip slip, thus proving the moral turpitude of the entire genre I suppose).

Man, those halftime shows used to be incredibly goofy for most of the 70s and 80s into the early 90s. Now they may still be goofy, but the formula seems like it got much more established during The Blessed Decade.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
The best ever will always be Prince. Purple Rain in the pouring rain/guitar as phallic symbol wins every time. I realize this isn't exactly a hot take.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 11:23am
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
The best ever will always be Prince. Purple Rain in the pouring rain/guitar as phallic symbol wins every time. I realize this isn't exactly a hot take.
Agreed 100%.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

matedog wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 11:26am
JennyB wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 11:23am
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
Agreed 100%.
Hello,

I will admit to not having seen many but of those I've seen, Prince wins.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Nothing will ever beat Up With People, y'all:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I admit I didn't really even remember Prince's halftime show until it was mentioned, so that had no effect on me whatsoever. I remember McCartney, and the Who, and they were fine. This year's halftime show was fine as well, nothing stood out to me as utterly memorable though.
My biggest issue with the NFL is the fact that its a sport totally designed for the television audience. Rules are made to satisfy the TV audience. The entire game itself is totally watered-down pap for the brainless American TV-watching masses and that's OK for those who like that sort of thing. One of the most exciting plays in football are kickoff returns but since that particular play can be very violent and lead to possible concussion injuries, they turned the kickoff into a perfunctionary act that rarely results in a return attempt, not to make the game better but to save money on injury claims. That is just one example.
I simply cannot stand the league's hypocrisy about everything they do and represent in today's American culture and how blatantly they exploit their players and their fans. It is the PERFECT vehicle for obscenely-wealthy white American owners like Jerry Jones, Woody Johnson et al to be the slimy, money-hungry racists they are. A salary cap, in a league where they make BILLIONS upon BILLIONS of dollars, few guaranteed contracts for players (coaches seem to have no problem getting fully guaranteed contracts), injury settlements that supercede contracts if guys get seriously injured that amount to a pittance, the entire thing reeks of exploitation because its set up that way, and yet this country idolizes this industry in spite of all the normal societal rules they violate freely.

Oh and i'm also a Jets fan.

Is it baseball season yet?
Oh shit.
I have to go.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Favre a scumbag? Say it ain't so, Brett, say it ain't so!
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/brett-fa ... a811c8c0dd