NFL 2018

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: NFL 2018

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 10:18pm
Flex wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 10:16pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 10:07pm
Sitting here watching football tonight because there's nothing else on. It's a boring sport favored by modern plantation owners and celebrated by lackwits. It's got more ads than QVC and very little action. This country's downfall can be directly traced to the ascendency of football. It's all brain damage and Republicanism to me.
These have both actually been good games as far as NFL games go, and I agree with you
They have been and I do really enjoy that. The CTE, the stifling of players voices, the blatant racism that's baked into the whole affair... oh boy has this last decade made me a cynic.
I can't remember where I read it, but someone said football is like stripping—I wouldn't want my kid to do it, but I'll watch someone else's kid do it. That said, I don't watch with much passion now because of all the shit you raise. I watch come playoffs because there's nothing better to do and the games tend to be competitive, but I'm not especially invested.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 10:25pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 10:18pm
Flex wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 10:16pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 10:07pm
Sitting here watching football tonight because there's nothing else on. It's a boring sport favored by modern plantation owners and celebrated by lackwits. It's got more ads than QVC and very little action. This country's downfall can be directly traced to the ascendency of football. It's all brain damage and Republicanism to me.
These have both actually been good games as far as NFL games go, and I agree with you
They have been and I do really enjoy that. The CTE, the stifling of players voices, the blatant racism that's baked into the whole affair... oh boy has this last decade made me a cynic.
I can't remember where I read it, but someone said football is like stripping—I wouldn't want my kid to do it, but I'll watch someone else's kid do it. That said, I don't watch with much passion now because of all the shit you raise. I watch come playoffs because there's nothing better to do and the games tend to be competitive, but I'm not especially invested.
It's late January. I watch bowling from time to time this time of year.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Cable/internet was out from 5am to about 7pm today in my neighborhood because a gun fight damaged Comcast equipment and I missed all games. Oakland gotta Oakland.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

:lol:

Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Is it just me and the 8 Old Fashioneds I've had tonight ... or does the NFL have a shit product? Yeah, I know they make billions of dollars ... but the Super Bowl? It's like a T-bone shrink wrapped in a foam tray at the local grocery store: lifeless. Halftime show was over produced and flat (as it almost always is). Commercials are a thing of the past. The on field product is terrible. It's supposed to be the biggest game of the year, but can never be better than the conference title games that actually feel like football.

...and yes again I understand they make billions so they're good at selling their product to the masses, but that doesn't make it good. McDonald's also makes billions selling dog food.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 11:36pm
Is it just me and the 8 Old Fashioneds I've had tonight ... or does the NFL have a shit product? Yeah, I know they make billions of dollars ... but the Super Bowl? It's like a T-bone shrink wrapped in a foam tray at the local grocery store: lifeless. Halftime show was over produced and flat (as it almost always is). Commercials are a thing of the past. The on field product is terrible. It's supposed to be the biggest game of the year, but can never be better than the conference title games that actually feel like football.

...and yes again I understand they make billions so they're good at selling their product to the masses, but that doesn't make it good. McDonald's also makes billions selling dog food.
I watched the last 55 seconds of the first half, skipped the halftime show, and then caught the last 2 minutes of the game, and I thoroughly enjoyed that 2 minutes and 55 seconds of football. :shifty:

Seriously though, I agree, the whole thing has gotten pretty lame. I'm surprised I watched as much as I did. The last few years I've pretty much tuned it out. The only commercial I saw was the Larry David one, which as I recall was pretty good.
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The NFL has become more sports entertainment than professional wrestling. The athletes are, for the most part part, good people - however, the breaks while attending live lead to less concern with results as "yeah, I had a decent time at the game". No one really cares who wins as long as people have a medium level of fun watching.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I've had my problems with the NFL, but I gotta say this year the criticism feels off base. The playoff games have been immensely entertaining and this was a good, close game. Only complaint is the flag fest in the red zone once LA was in striking distances. Zebras has done such a good job to that point letting them play and the it felt like the finger got on the scale in favor of LA. This year actually rekindled some of my enjoyment of the NFL that ahad really, really been waning.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 1:43am
I've had my problems with the NFL, but I gotta say this year the criticism feels off base. The playoff games have been immensely entertaining and this was a good, close game. Only complaint is the flag fest in the red zone once LA was in striking distances. Zebras has done such a good job to that point letting them play and the it felt like the finger got on the scale in favor of LA. This year actually rekindled some of my enjoyment of the NFL that ahad really, really been waning.
So your preference is for a no Pats/no Brady superbowl?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 3:49am
Flex wrote:
So your preference is for a no Pats/no Brady superbowl?
I mean, no, I'd rather love watching the pats/Brady and hate everything else going on with the NFL than moderately enjoy a playoffs that my rooting interests aren't in.

I always said I loved the pats/Brady but hated the garbage product that was the NFL. It's really still a garbage product, but this was the first year in a while that I broadly enjoyed watching non-Pats/Brady games. I don't necessarily expect that level of enthusiasm to last, just seems like an odd year particularly to complain about the league since it was a lot more competitive than usual.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
Unless you're a Green Bay fan ... :meh:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

273546813_359776679527671_4174290010938877543_n.jpg
273546813_359776679527671_4174290010938877543_n.jpg (54.95 KiB) Viewed 1044 times

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I, for one, thought the halftime show was fucking fabulous.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 11:30am
I, for one, thought the halftime show was fucking fabulous.
50 got fat. Eminem was lip syncing, though Mary J wasn't. Kendrick's spot was great. All in all it was good, no real complaints. Everyone seemed to be having fun.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.