MLB 2019

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2019

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 7:14pm
revbob wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 6:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 12:49pm
revbob wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 12:33pm
Does he have an escape clause in this contract?
No opt outs. He's only a couple years away from having 10/5 no-trade rights.
Again I don't understand why you dont try to get on a contending team?
He might genuinely love playing in front of tepista, plus there are a limited number of clubs that'll shell out that kind of cash, even for one of the best ballplayers of time.
There's a limited number willing to pay that money sure but plenty more who would pay a little less and basically any of those 10 teams are competing. Would I accept a few million less to possibly play on a championship team? Absolutely.
The MLBPA takes a jaundiced eye towards discounts, especially involving star players. Him raising the rate does have a cascade effect to raise everyone's salaries down the line.
Yeah, but fuck if I'd sign with the Des Moines Dorks just because they want to pay me more.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 7:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 12:33pm
Does he have an escape clause in this contract?
Again I don't understand why you dont try to get on a contending team?
He might genuinely love playing in front of tepista, plus there are a limited number of clubs that'll shell out that kind of cash, even for one of the best ballplayers of time.
There's a limited number willing to pay that money sure but plenty more who would pay a little less and basically any of those 10 teams are competing. Would I accept a few million less to possibly play on a championship team? Absolutely.
The MLBPA takes a jaundiced eye towards discounts, especially involving star players. Him raising the rate does have a cascade effect to raise everyone's salaries down the line.
Yeah, but fuck if I'd sign with the Des Moines Dorks just because they want to pay me more.
Even the Des Moines Dorks have no use for a middle-aged guy flailing away at three straight pitches while the infield laughs.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 7:56pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Even the Des Moines Dorks have no use for a middle-aged guy flailing away at three straight pitches while the infield laughs.
I find the Des Moines Dorks mascot offensive.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 8:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I find the Des Moines Dorks mascot offensive.
I dunno, I thought it captures Wolter's likeness pretty well.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think I'd do as well as or better than most 50 yos

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

What if he were an obnoxious Christian backup catcher who promised to be witheringly abusive to brown guys in the clubhouse and through anonymous press quotes for lack of hustle?

Pay...that...man.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Excerpt from an upcoming book about the current Yankees:
Cashman, like the three or four masters of his craft, is one part diplomat to two parts pickpocket. He can politely boost your watch and wallet and leave you thinking the heist was your idea. Jeter’s style, by contrast, is to dictate terms and expect you to glumly accept them. His first act after buying the Marlins was to pointlessly freeze out Stanton. He didn’t book the obligatory get-to-know-you dinner with his star at a stuffy rooftop steakhouse in Miami. He declined to call Stanton and offer congratulations when he was named the league MVP. And he never phoned Wolfe, one of the powerhouse reps in baseball, to ask about his client’s choice of destinations. “I was ready for the worst, which it was,” Stanton confided, looming at his locker in a pair of gold spikes after a workout in spring training in 2018. Like Judge, Stanton is one of those physical freaks you can’t properly appreciate on TV. It isn’t only his mass or stone-cut proportions, but the taper of chest and back to a tiny waist. There’s a quality about him that you sometimes find in art: grace and violence merged in random gestures. “If that’s how you want to treat someone, then there’s no playing nice,” he said of Jeter. “I had had more than enough.”
There's more there, including Judge's enthusiasm for the trade (and contrast that to how Jeter treated ARod).
https://nypost.com/2019/03/20/inside-th ... ton-heist/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 12:28pm
Cashman, like the three or four masters of his craft, is one part diplomat to two parts pickpocket. He can politely boost your watch and wallet and leave you thinking the heist was your idea. Jeter’s style, by contrast, is to dictate terms and expect you to glumly accept them. His first act after buying the Marlins was to pointlessly freeze out Stanton. He didn’t book the obligatory get-to-know-you dinner with his star at a stuffy rooftop steakhouse in Miami. He declined to call Stanton and offer congratulations when he was named the league MVP. And he never phoned Wolfe, one of the powerhouse reps in baseball, to ask about his client’s choice of destinations. “I was ready for the worst, which it was,” Stanton confided, looming at his locker in a pair of gold spikes after a workout in spring training in 2018. Like Judge, Stanton is one of those physical freaks you can’t properly appreciate on TV. It isn’t only his mass or stone-cut proportions, but the taper of chest and back to a tiny waist. There’s a quality about him that you sometimes find in art: grace and violence merged in random gestures. “If that’s how you want to treat someone, then there’s no playing nice,” he said of Jeter. “I had had more than enough.”
There's more there, including Judge's enthusiasm for the trade (and contrast that to how Jeter treated ARod).
Are you throwing shade on Saint Jeets again?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 1:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 12:28pm
Are you throwing shade on Saint Jeets again?
Merely doing my civic duty of spreading truth and virtue to the world.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Inder wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 6:04pm
Trout can buy the fuckin ocean now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 6:04pm
Scioscia retires and all the discipline goes to fuck. Good luck getting down an effective bunt in the first inning this season.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Trout naturally like to swim in waters with a strong current and high oxygen levels. This is achieved in an aquarium through fast moving water. ... As a cold freshwater fish, the trout aquarium must have a chiller to maintain a water temperature of at least 59 degrees Fahrenheit.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 6:22pm
Trout naturally like to swim in waters with a strong current and high oxygen levels. This is achieved in an aquarium through fast moving water. ... As a cold freshwater fish, the trout aquarium must have a chiller to maintain a water temperature of at least 59 degrees Fahrenheit.
I like the idea of Trout devoting, like, $250M to build a special airplane that can keep his trout alive. Like benign supervillain stuff.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 6:30pm
tepista wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 6:22pm
I like the idea of Trout devoting, like, $250M to build a special airplane that can keep his trout alive. Like benign supervillain stuff.
Which 007 was the one where the guy wanted to destroy all land and live in an ocean lair? I always wondered how he convinced his henchmen to go along with it.