MLB 2019

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: MLB 2019

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 6:34pm
revbob wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 6:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 4:42pm
tepista wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 2:50pm
Aubrey Huff prepares for Civil War

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-baseb ... 52061.html
Says the guy who became very rich thanks to a powerful and determined labour union.
This just in "professional athlete is an asshole".

Bernie has actually been one of the biggest 2nd amendment supporters his whole time in Congress.
Ssh, something something Venezuela.
Please speak up, Aubrey...

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 7:49pm
Hey Greg Bird is available.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/ ... ivers.html
Perfect for teams needing to fill their injured list.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 8:01pm
revbob wrote:

And just enough potential and flashes of greatness to make you think this could be the year he breaks out.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 9:19pm
He has an undeniably weird charm.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 8:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 8:01pm
revbob wrote:

And just enough potential and flashes of greatness to make you think this could be the year he breaks out.
And that's the shit that will keep him around on one-year contract after one-year contract until he's around 35. The Tease is almost as appealing to a GM as The Sure Thing.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Right after I won $1000 betting on Tony to hit a homer in that game, I nailed a 14-year-old. Good times, that World Series."

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 4:25pm
"Right after I won $1000 betting on Tony to hit a homer in that game, I nailed a 14-year-old. Good times, that World Series."
If Im up before 8 on a Saturday I'll listen to Only a Game. They always have great stories.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Yankees retired Bernie Williams' number? Really? He was pretty much the definition of "very good" but worthy of retiring his number? Doubtful.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 7:54pm
The Yankees retired Bernie Williams' number? Really? He was pretty much the definition of "very good" but worthy of retiring his number? Doubtful.
100% on personality

Addendum: and his jazz album
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 8:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 7:54pm
100% on personality

Addendum: and his jazz album
Scooter Rizzuto, too (minus the jazz). Solid defensive SS, but HoF and retired number? Get outta here. It's cos of his endearing personality.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 9:05pm
Scooter Rizzuto, too (minus the jazz). Solid defensive SS, but HoF and retired number? Get outta here. It's cos of his endearing personality.
If HoFs are (or should be) just 100% on-field performance, those two shouldn't get into a club or mlb HoF. But increasingly, I think the admittence definition should center around "did they kindle our love.of the game?" whether it be through pure on field performance or some combination of qualities. By that standard, I think Bernie gets it for his club.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 9:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 9:05pm
If HoFs are (or should be) just 100% on-field performance, those two shouldn't get into a club or mlb HoF. But increasingly, I think the admittence definition should center around "did they kindle our love.of the game?" whether it be through pure on field performance or some combination of qualities. By that standard, I think Bernie gets it for his club.
I agree that this kind of stuff shouldn't be cold stat-based arguments, but I just think about Bernie's career and nothing about it suggests “retire his number,” even if we don't measure it against the obscene historic talent of that club. He was never the best player on his team—was he ever a top 3 guy on his team, in performance or fan love?—so it seems like cheapening the honour of retiring his number. Seems like he's benefiting from the fetishization of the late 90s clubs (i mean, hell, Posada has his number retired, too).