MLB 2019

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 9069
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: MLB 2019

Post by BostonBeaneater » 22 Jan 2019, 5:03pm

WestwayKid wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 4:32pm
People are losing their minds in Milwaukee today with the announcement that American Family Insurance (also a Wisconsin based company) has purchased the naming rights for Miller Park - which will obviously now no longer be called Miller Park after the 2020 season.

Personally (and said as a lifelong Brewer fan), I could care less what they call the park. I care about the product they put on the field and the same people who are now launching petitions are probably the same people griping that the team doesn't spend more. Milwaukee is a small market and if AmFam came in with a better offer - I think the team was correct to take their check.

Nostalgia doesn't pay for starting pitching.

Heck...they played in Milwaukee County Stadium for 30 years before moving into their new home at which point the team sold the naming rights to Miller. There is nothing sacred about the name.
Will an insurance guy hop down the slide after homers instead of Bernie Brewer?
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 79845
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: MLB 2019

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 Jan 2019, 5:20pm

WestwayKid wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 4:32pm
People are losing their minds in Milwaukee today with the announcement that American Family Insurance (also a Wisconsin based company) has purchased the naming rights for Miller Park - which will obviously now no longer be called Miller Park after the 2020 season.

Personally (and said as a lifelong Brewer fan), I could care less what they call the park. I care about the product they put on the field and the same people who are now launching petitions are probably the same people griping that the team doesn't spend more. Milwaukee is a small market and if AmFam came in with a better offer - I think the team was correct to take their check.

Nostalgia doesn't pay for starting pitching.

Heck...they played in Milwaukee County Stadium for 30 years before moving into their new home at which point the team sold the naming rights to Miller. There is nothing sacred about the name.
Oh no! A corporation's name is replacing … another corporation's name. There are only a handful of teams that eschew that stuff—Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox (am I missing any?)—so that kind of stuff is a pointless complaint unless you want a non-corporate name altogether (tho, of course, naming it after the team is also corporate branding).
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 15431
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: MLB 2019

Post by Rat Patrol » 22 Jan 2019, 7:25pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 5:20pm
. . .Cubs
er...

Image

:naughty:
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 79845
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: MLB 2019

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 Jan 2019, 7:29pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 5:20pm
. . .Cubs
er...

Image

:naughty:
Yeah, but the company and park are named after the man. It's not like it's Juicy Fruit Park. The difference, I think, matters.
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 79845
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: MLB 2019

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 Jan 2019, 7:34pm

Hey, cool, Rivera is the first unanimous selection to the Hall of Fame. (A) He was a no-brainer, so why not be unanimous? (B) Maybe that "principled" not voting for a first-time eligible candidate to preclude unanimous picks is finally done now. (C) At least Cap'n Jeets won't be the first unanimous pick.
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 15431
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: MLB 2019

Post by Rat Patrol » 22 Jan 2019, 8:03pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:29pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 5:20pm
. . .Cubs
er...

Image

:naughty:
Yeah, but the company and park are named after the man. It's not like it's Juicy Fruit Park. The difference, I think, matters.
Nope. They had garish "Doublemint Twins" elf mascots adorning the scoreboard by the mid-20's soon after the name-change to Wrigley Field. That's an awfully juicy fruit of an intentional corporate synergy right from the get-go. Especially since the twinks were the only advertising allowed in the ballpark until Tribune Co. bought the team in the early-80's. The only distinction here is that all the people who knew full well back then they were being hustled into buying chewing gum are long dead, because the in-park advertising lapsed under the 4-decade absentee ownership of Bill Wrigley's son after the old man passed.


I mean...William Clay Ford, Jr., Henry's great-grandson and Chairman of Ford Motors, is the owner of the Detroit Lions and was in charge of the team when they built Ford Field. Does that mean he too is somehow exempt from the soft bigotry of outwardly synergistic marketing?
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 79845
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: MLB 2019

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 Jan 2019, 8:22pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 8:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:29pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 5:20pm
. . .Cubs
er...

Image

:naughty:
Yeah, but the company and park are named after the man. It's not like it's Juicy Fruit Park. The difference, I think, matters.
Nope. They had garish "Doublemint Twins" elf mascots adorning the scoreboard by the mid-20's soon after the name-change to Wrigley Field. That's an awfully juicy fruit of an intentional corporate synergy right from the get-go. Especially since the twinks were the only advertising allowed in the ballpark until Tribune Co. bought the team in the early-80's. The only distinction here is that all the people who knew full well back then they were being hustled into buying chewing gum are long dead, because the in-park advertising lapsed under the 4-decade absentee ownership of Bill Wrigley's son after the old man passed.


I mean...William Clay Ford, Jr., Henry's great-grandson and Chairman of Ford Motors, is the owner of the Detroit Lions and was in charge of the team when they built Ford Field. Does that mean he too is somehow exempt from the soft bigotry of outwardly synergistic marketing?
Actually, yeah, I do give a pass to Ford Field and to Heinz Field. It is all corporate and always has been, but I make a distinction between those reflecting an era of the personalized business and the ultra bland corporate naming we have now. I'm not by any means saying one is less evil than the other, only that the naming reflects different eras.
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 33255
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: MLB 2019

Post by tepista » 22 Jan 2019, 11:22pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:29pm
. It's not like it's Juicy Fruit Park.
It is now, for me.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 17440
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: MLB 2019

Post by JennyB » 23 Jan 2019, 10:36am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:29pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 5:20pm
. . .Cubs
er...

Image

:naughty:
Yeah, but the company and park are named after the man. It's not like it's Juicy Fruit Park. The difference, I think, matters.
Then couldn't you say Busch Stadium is named after the man as well? YA GOT BURNED.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 79845
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: MLB 2019

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 Jan 2019, 11:00am

JennyB wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 10:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:29pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 5:20pm
. . .Cubs
er...

Image

:naughty:
Yeah, but the company and park are named after the man. It's not like it's Juicy Fruit Park. The difference, I think, matters.
Then couldn't you say Busch Stadium is named after the man as well? YA GOT BURNED.
Just forgetful in my dotage.
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2321
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: MLB 2019

Post by WestwayKid » 23 Jan 2019, 11:35am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 5:20pm
WestwayKid wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 4:32pm
People are losing their minds in Milwaukee today with the announcement that American Family Insurance (also a Wisconsin based company) has purchased the naming rights for Miller Park - which will obviously now no longer be called Miller Park after the 2020 season.

Personally (and said as a lifelong Brewer fan), I could care less what they call the park. I care about the product they put on the field and the same people who are now launching petitions are probably the same people griping that the team doesn't spend more. Milwaukee is a small market and if AmFam came in with a better offer - I think the team was correct to take their check.

Nostalgia doesn't pay for starting pitching.

Heck...they played in Milwaukee County Stadium for 30 years before moving into their new home at which point the team sold the naming rights to Miller. There is nothing sacred about the name.
Oh no! A corporation's name is replacing … another corporation's name. There are only a handful of teams that eschew that stuff—Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox (am I missing any?)—so that kind of stuff is a pointless complaint unless you want a non-corporate name altogether (tho, of course, naming it after the team is also corporate branding).
Exactly! It just worked out that when they sold the initial rights they were bought by a brewery which aligned so nicely with the team and the city - but there is not a connection between the team and Miller. Miller never owned the team. They didn't build the stadium. Until Schlitz, Blatz, and Pabst went belly up - Miller was like the 4th best brewery in town.

Honestly - what's to stop the Cardinals from ditching Busch when their deal is up? AB no longer owns the team and I assume the fact that the park is called Busch Stadium is because AB paid for the naming rights.

It's just a great example of fake outrage. People are up in arms about this - but the fact that Milwaukee is the most segregated city in the country or that we have the zip code with the highest rate of incarcerated African-American men in the country or that we're the 4th poorest city in the US or that we have a long history of police violence towards minorities or that we have a failing public school system or that we have one of the worst inner city housing shortages in the country...
"If they believed in a place called Kokomo, then so did I." - Michael Edward Love

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 9069
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: MLB 2019

Post by BostonBeaneater » 23 Jan 2019, 11:40am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 8:22pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 8:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:29pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 5:20pm
. . .Cubs
er...

Image

:naughty:
Yeah, but the company and park are named after the man. It's not like it's Juicy Fruit Park. The difference, I think, matters.
Nope. They had garish "Doublemint Twins" elf mascots adorning the scoreboard by the mid-20's soon after the name-change to Wrigley Field. That's an awfully juicy fruit of an intentional corporate synergy right from the get-go. Especially since the twinks were the only advertising allowed in the ballpark until Tribune Co. bought the team in the early-80's. The only distinction here is that all the people who knew full well back then they were being hustled into buying chewing gum are long dead, because the in-park advertising lapsed under the 4-decade absentee ownership of Bill Wrigley's son after the old man passed.


I mean...William Clay Ford, Jr., Henry's great-grandson and Chairman of Ford Motors, is the owner of the Detroit Lions and was in charge of the team when they built Ford Field. Does that mean he too is somehow exempt from the soft bigotry of outwardly synergistic marketing?
Actually, yeah, I do give a pass to Ford Field and to Heinz Field. It is all corporate and always has been, but I make a distinction between those reflecting an era of the personalized business and the ultra bland corporate naming we have now. I'm not by any means saying one is less evil than the other, only that the naming reflects different eras.
Gillette Stadium baby.
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 79845
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: MLB 2019

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 Jan 2019, 12:04pm

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 11:35am
It's just a great example of fake outrage. People are up in arms about this - but the fact that Milwaukee is the most segregated city in the country or that we have the zip code with the highest rate of incarcerated African-American men in the country or that we're the 4th poorest city in the US or that we have a long history of police violence towards minorities or that we have a failing public school system or that we have one of the worst inner city housing shortages in the country...
I quite enjoy when conservatives froth at the mouth about Gramsci and cultural Marxism and how this is how people get brainwashed. They ain't wrong exactly, but the structuring of values and behaviours is a few leaps to the right away from any kind of socialist dream.
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2321
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: MLB 2019

Post by WestwayKid » 23 Jan 2019, 12:15pm

BostonBeaneater wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 11:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 8:22pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 8:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:29pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:25pm


er...

Image

:naughty:
Yeah, but the company and park are named after the man. It's not like it's Juicy Fruit Park. The difference, I think, matters.
Nope. They had garish "Doublemint Twins" elf mascots adorning the scoreboard by the mid-20's soon after the name-change to Wrigley Field. That's an awfully juicy fruit of an intentional corporate synergy right from the get-go. Especially since the twinks were the only advertising allowed in the ballpark until Tribune Co. bought the team in the early-80's. The only distinction here is that all the people who knew full well back then they were being hustled into buying chewing gum are long dead, because the in-park advertising lapsed under the 4-decade absentee ownership of Bill Wrigley's son after the old man passed.


I mean...William Clay Ford, Jr., Henry's great-grandson and Chairman of Ford Motors, is the owner of the Detroit Lions and was in charge of the team when they built Ford Field. Does that mean he too is somehow exempt from the soft bigotry of outwardly synergistic marketing?
Actually, yeah, I do give a pass to Ford Field and to Heinz Field. It is all corporate and always has been, but I make a distinction between those reflecting an era of the personalized business and the ultra bland corporate naming we have now. I'm not by any means saying one is less evil than the other, only that the naming reflects different eras.
Gillette Stadium baby.
I'm surprised the MAGA crowd didn't boycott last weekend's game over that commercial...
"If they believed in a place called Kokomo, then so did I." - Michael Edward Love

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 51300
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: MLB 2019

Post by Wolter » 23 Jan 2019, 12:50pm

Both Busch and Wrigley do happen to date from an era before “naming rights,” because they were the companies that owned the team. I draw that distinction, if only mildly.

EDIT: My uncle Bill refused to drink AB for years because he didn’t want any of his money to go to the Cardinals.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests