101’s Room

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: 101’s Room

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 5:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 5:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 5:41pm
Mimi wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 9:58am
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 8:16pm

Well I had two sons and their births were magical. I was lucky with my first son Luke who adores The Clash so no Panic! at the Disco for me. But it's not all plain sailing either my second son Ashley is soon to become my daughter and is having hormone therapy for the change. I'm completely supportive of him/her and will always love my kids unconditionally. It's just gonna be a whole new world for my second offspring that's bound to bring about it's own set of problems and concerns. But I'll always be here for them both regardless.
I have a niece/nephew who is trans (I'm still trying to figure out how to word this properly) and my brother hasn't handled it well, probably because of his born-again attitude. It's refreshing to read this. It makes me want to hug you. *sniff* I know from my nephew that that support means more than anyone will ever know.
There was a phone in on the radio breakfast show here the other day. It was supposed to be fun light hearted banter but it quickly went south. The topic was ‘why did your parents throw you out of home’ after a news story of someone doing something dumb. It backfired when every caller was from the LGBTQ community and had been thrown out of their home by their Religious parents (mainly Christian).
How Christian is that.
Extremely Christian and yet not very allegedly. Seriously some of the Christians I've met could never live up to the hype. Then there's the pathetic view that some have regards to the Bible being misunderstood with its mesage about homosexuality.
Live for today and live and let live.
Most atheists I know are more Christianthan the Christians I know, caring, understanding, tolerant, open minded, honest and real.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 5:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I have a niece/nephew who is trans (I'm still trying to figure out how to word this properly) and my brother hasn't handled it well, probably because of his born-again attitude. It's refreshing to read this. It makes me want to hug you. *sniff* I know from my nephew that that support means more than anyone will ever know.
There was a phone in on the radio breakfast show here the other day. It was supposed to be fun light hearted banter but it quickly went south. The topic was ‘why did your parents throw you out of home’ after a news story of someone doing something dumb. It backfired when every caller was from the LGBTQ community and had been thrown out of their home by their Religious parents (mainly Christian).
How Christian is that.
Extremely Christian and yet not very allegedly. Seriously some of the Christians I've met could never live up to the hype. Then there's the pathetic view that some have regards to the Bible being misunderstood with its mesage about homosexuality.
Most atheists I know are more Christianthan the Christians I know, caring, understanding, tolerant, open minded, honest and real.
Some of the most unloving and inhuman comments and even behavior I've ever seen has come from so called christians. And that's just on facebook.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Mimi wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 6:00pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 5:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

How Christian is that.
Some of the most unloving and inhuman comments and even behavior I've ever seen has come from so called christians. And that's just on facebook.
And the worst thing is it is all about them and the way they are perceived in the church community. Can’t lose face have to look best in church even if that means throwing your own children under a bus to keep up appearances.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My all-time favourite thing about the asshole strain of Christianity was something I read in a news story about yahoos opposing gay rights (this was back in the 80s or 90s, I think): "I'm a Christian because I hate the same things Jesus hated." Tieing Christianity to hate captures it so perfectly.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 6:07pm
My all-time favourite thing about the asshole strain of Christianity was something I read in a news story about yahoos opposing gay rights (this was back in the 80s or 90s, I think): "I'm a Christian because I hate the same things Jesus hated." Tieing Christianity to hate captures it so perfectly.
I suspect Jesus was probably a good guy. He wasn’t the son of god but he did what he did because of real injustices of the day. He wanted to break away from Judaism as he wasn’t happy with the wealth and corruption of the church and lack of help for those that needed it. So to honour that back to basics belief the Christians created the Vatican!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 6:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I suspect Jesus was probably a good guy. He wasn’t the son of god but he did what he did because of real injustices of the day. He wanted to break away from Judaism as he wasn’t happy with the wealth and corruption of the church and lack of help for those that needed it. So to honour that back to basics belief the Christians created the Vatican!!
You might be interested in Elaine Pagels' Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas, which argues that the heretical gospel of St. Thomas offered a radically different interpretation of Christ's teachings—we are all divine, not just Jesus; his distinction was in becoming enlightened, which is in the power of all of us to achieve—one that went against the hierarchical structure of the Church, and so it was excluded.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 6:25pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You might be interested in Elaine Pagels' Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas, which argues that the heretical gospel of St. Thomas offered a radically different interpretation of Christ's teachings—we are all divine, not just Jesus; his distinction was in becoming enlightened, which is in the power of all of us to achieve—one that went against the hierarchical structure of the Church, and so it was excluded.
That does sound interesting. Iris at this time of year I always ask the Christians how come they can recall word for word what Jesus said but no one thought to write down the date he was crucified or worse the date he made his comeback!! We all know he wasn’t born on 25th December so dates not their strongpoint.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 7:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 6:25pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That does sound interesting. Iris at this time of year I always ask the Christians how come they can recall word for word what Jesus said but no one thought to write down the date he was crucified or worse the date he made his comeback!! We all know he wasn’t born on 25th December so dates not their strongpoint.
Faith, sir, faith …

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 12:16pm
Tangentially related, if anyone's interested in the modern American history of homosexuals coming out to their family, my doctoral supervisor's book on the subject is really good: https://www.amazon.ca/Not-This-Family-M ... way&sr=8-1

In short, the idea of most kids being rejected by their family is largely a myth. Certainly it happened/happens, but by and large American parents have been welcoming and quick to defend their kid.
Does your supervisor's book talk about the trans experience? Sorry - i will read it later. I imagine there's still a lot of catching up to do.

My uncle came out when he was in his 40s. He was married to a woman for 20 years because he came of age in the era where you really just couldn't come out. He was so worried that my grandparents were going to take it hard because of their age (late 70s at the time). They were actually fine with it. I think half of it was because of their experiences during the Holocaust and the other half was because they really couldn't stand my aunt.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 11:58am
Mimi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 8:16pm
Heston wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 6:44pm
I always loved other people's kids but never wanted one myself, didn't fancy the responsibility or the worry. I did become a Dad eventually (unplanned at the age of 37) but when it happened it was the best thing that ever happened to me. It's as if something biological happens to you when you see that baby and your brain starts working in a different way. No regrets whatsoever but I can totally see where people are coming from in not wanting kids. At least you don't get subjected to Panic! at the Disco every day in the car. I want to kill that band.
Well I had two sons and their births were magical. I was lucky with my first son Luke who adores The Clash so no Panic! at the Disco for me. But it's not all plain sailing either my second son Ashley is soon to become my daughter and is having hormone therapy for the change. I'm completely supportive of him/her and will always love my kids unconditionally. It's just gonna be a whole new world for my second offspring that's bound to bring about it's own set of problems and concerns. But I'll always be here for them both regardless.
When Ashley first made the choice to change he held off for about 6 months before telling me. His mum and me have been separated for about 15 years now. Ashley told his mum but wasn't so sure about telling me as he didn't know how I would react. But when he found the courage to tell me he said he couldn't believe just how relaxed I was it about and how instantly he felt better. I told him straight off the bat that I thought it was an extremely brave thing to do and that I was nothing less than proud of the choice he had made. He knows it's not going to be easy and he knows I'm here 100% if required.

Thanks Mimi.
I had no idea you had kids, Marky. You sound like a great dad. I know, against my better judgment, I'd have some things to work through if my kid was trans. I just hope I'd be able to work through it internally and not cause any stress or pain on her.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 10:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 12:16pm
Tangentially related, if anyone's interested in the modern American history of homosexuals coming out to their family, my doctoral supervisor's book on the subject is really good: https://www.amazon.ca/Not-This-Family-M ... way&sr=8-1

In short, the idea of most kids being rejected by their family is largely a myth. Certainly it happened/happens, but by and large American parents have been welcoming and quick to defend their kid.
Does your supervisor's book talk about the trans experience? Sorry - i will read it later. I imagine there's still a lot of catching up to do.
I can't recall, but I suspect not. It deals with the politics of being gay, plus the AIDS crisis in the 80s and 90s. There's undoubtedly overlap in the groups' experiences, but it is two separate constituencies.
My uncle came out when he was in his 40s. He was married to a woman for 20 years because he came of age in the era where you really just couldn't come out. He was so worried that my grandparents were going to take it hard because of their age (late 70s at the time). They were actually fine with it. I think half of it was because of their experiences during the Holocaust and the other half was because they really couldn't stand my aunt.
One thing that I remember being surprised at in Heather's book is that many older homosexuals—pre-Boomer, mainly—did not see coming out as urgent. They certainly didn't enjoy discrimination and violence, but there was some romance to being different and keeping it a special secret between those in the know. Coming out meant abandoning that specialness, to be like everyone else. I'd never considered it from that angle.

When my niece came out, my sister went a little nuts and started to wonder whether she might be unconsciously lesbian because she's so close to her daughter. (The Boss and I thought it was more about my sister turning the narrative into one where she was the star or at least co-star.) My brother-in-law, a conservative but by no means nutty conservative guy (I love how we're obliged to specifically describe some conservatives as not crazy) was cool with it. Still his daughter and all that, so to him nothing had changed. But my sister decided he wasn't dealing with it properly because he didn't go thru and resolve some kind of crisis. I shook my head at the whole thing there.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 9:54am
As a woman who is child-free by choice, I've had my share of shaming from other women for my decision. I've never told anyone the real reason I made this choice, but "being selfish" wasn't one of them, whatever that means anyway. Most women who were rude enough to approach the subject with me told me I would regret it when I'm older. I'm older, and well, so far, so good.
That's dumb. I have a few groups of friends who don't have kids, chose not to and they all seem very happy with that decision.

I think I would have been fine with this too. My wife comes from a more traditional culture and I think she allowed herself to be influenced by family and friends. She in turn pressured me. I don't regret having kids but certainly recognize my life would be much easier without them.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

People walking past me when I've got headphones in and the music is fairly loud. On their approach I think "Oh for fu..." and jam that volume down.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Whistling.
Slurping coffee.
People licking their fingers after eating.
Chopsing while eating.
People putting milk in my coffee when I've always had it black and then get arsey when I make a new one.
Farting right next to me.
People who can't own up to their own mistakes.
Clucking tongues whilst thinking.
Bad backs.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

BitterTom wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 10:54am
Slurping coffee.
That one could be worse with the addition of a big 'aaaahhhhhhh' right afterwards.
Chopsing while eating.
I have no idea what this means but I'm getting angry just thinking what it could be.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps