The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Post by revbob »

Softball tonight. First at bat line drive up the middle. Exactly up the middle into the poor pitcher's nut sack. Not my intent and I bought him a beer afterwards. Also hit one over the fence in right center. The coup de grace was me tracking a ball to deep center. I was just laying a glove on it when I ran into the fence and flipped over it espn highlight reel style.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 8:18pm
Softball tonight. First at bat line drive up the middle. Exactly up the middle into the poor pitcher's nut sack. Not my intent and I bought him a beer afterwards. Also hit one over the fence in right center. The coup de grace was me tracking a ball to deep center. I was just laying a glove on it when I ran into the fence and flipped over it espn highlight reel style.
A perfect night all around. :cool:

I remember playing a pick-up game of softball when I was 17 or so. I was in the OF, but the pitcher took a line drive off the arm and broke it. Even tho the pitcher was a prick, everyone felt bad.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 8:44pm
revbob wrote:

I remember playing a pick-up game of softball when I was 17 or so. I was in the OF, but the pitcher took a line drive off the arm and broke it. Even tho the pitcher was a prick, everyone felt bad.
Oh hell yeah. I have at least 10 years on the next oldest 15 to 20 or more on most of them. Gen X representing!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 9:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Oh hell yeah. I have at least 10 years on the next oldest 15 to 20 or more on most of them. Gen X representing!!
The grey-bearded assassin!
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 9:20pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Only partially grey. Im considering getting some of that comb in anti-grey stuff.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 9:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Only partially grey. Im considering getting some of that comb in anti-grey stuff.
I'm more white than grey. One big reason I don't have a beard is that I gain a good ten years with one.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 9:45pm
revbob wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 9:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm more white than grey. One big reason I don't have a beard is that I gain a good ten years with one.
Ive been told by different people that I look older with facial hair and also that I look younger so I dont know what to think.

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 9:37am
Just got back from seeing an opthamologist who confirmed my right eye cataract. He said he was surprised that I did as well as did on the eye chart test beforehand. Better still, it's a rapidly progressing sort that should leave me fucked well and good in that eye in about six months. And my left eye has one developing, too. So it's now a matter of how long I have to wait for surgery/whether I can be bumped, or can I get a seeing-eye dog to help with lectures and grading.

Gonna PM Kaleb for recommendations on his favourite blind fruit-based blues musicians now.
Just seen this.
All the very best with getting this sorted Doc. I have my fingers crossed for you.
Mike
Joining the Street Parade

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Best of luck from me, too, Hooky. Hope all turns out well.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Thanks again, folks. The only issue is how long it'll take and how functional my vision'll be in the meantime.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Had the game winning hit in the bottom of the 7th and played lock down 1st base. I'm gonna hate it when I can't do this anymore.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 7:42pm
Had the game winning hit in the bottom of the 7th and played lock down 1st base. I'm gonna hate it when I can't do this anymore.
I keep thinking that when it comes to my cycling—things have to start going crappy sooner or later right? But my times are still steadily improving (tho a lot of that is warmer temperatures; the legs are limber right away). It's going to be a kick in the ego-nuts when my stamina starts to go and there's nothing I can do about it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 7:55pm
revbob wrote:
I keep thinking that when it comes to my cycling—things have to start going crappy sooner or later right? But my times are still steadily improving (tho a lot of that is warmer temperatures; the legs are limber right away). It's going to be a kick in the ego-nuts when my stamina starts to go and there's nothing I can do about it.
Yeah i guess you just have to cherish it for now.

I know there's people who see me as just some old fucker when I come to bat/take the field but I can still hit farther and run faster than most of them.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 8:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I know there's people who see me as just some old fucker when I come to bat/take the field but I can still hit farther and run faster than most of them.
And doesn't that make it sweeter? Being an old guy who can do it better than younger guys? I'm not competitive (except with myself), but I always enjoyed flying past younger guys all duded up in their cycling gear. Maybe they weren't pushing themselves, I dunno, but I still loved blowing past them.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 8:14pm
revbob wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 8:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

And doesn't that make it sweeter? Being an old guy who can do it better than younger guys? I'm not competitive (except with myself), but I always enjoyed flying past younger guys all duded up in their cycling gear. Maybe they weren't pushing themselves, I dunno, but I still loved blowing past them.
Oh hell yes it makes it sweetet and Im the same way when biking too but I have noticed on my return trip that more people are passing me than the other way around. Im pretty good on the first leg but get gassed on the way back.