The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Post by WestwayKid »

gkbill wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 10:20pm
revbob wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 9:43pm
WestwayKid wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 9:36pm
revbob wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 7:16pm
Went biking today some in the snow thru the woods and some just on the bike path that was mostly clear. I am sore as fuck already. The fat bike when going thru the snow is more of a full body workout and like Ive mentioned before just the regular flat trails take more effort as its heavier and the fatter wheels introduce more resistance.
I don't know, man, but I'm impressed that you're out on a bike. Well done.

I've been roped into hiking the Grand Canyon in May. My sister and my uncle (he's 67) planned it. They added me and my nephew later on. I think I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm starting to wonder. I'm a very active person, but the idea is that you need to actually prep for this kind of stuff.
Dehydration is a big concern out there plus you have the added elevation so that can take a little out of you. I think the hike out could be pretty rough. Hydrate before and have water with you for the hike. If youve never been out there it can be pretty deceiving, you're sweating lle mad but it evaporates before you notice it.
Hello,

I've run the Grand Canyon a few times. Prepare for a trail run - meaning lots of rocks, lots of turns, and some inclines and declines. I'd suggest going down the South Kaibob trail. It's a ridge trail and the views are phenomenal - you wouldn't think looking at a big hole could be so fascinating! The South Kaibob trail doesn't have water so I'd suggest a camelback. If you're only going rim-to-rim (down and back on the same side), come up the Bright Angel Canyon trail. It's the most popular and has water and benches every few miles. Burros definitely have the right-of-way.

The hard thing is if you're doing hikes to prepare, you go up a mountain and then down. At the Canyon, you go down then up.

I haven't done the glass floored thing that goes out over the Canyon.

If you haven't done it - go! You'll remember it forever.
Cool! Thanks for the info. I'm not sure exactly which route we're taking, but we're going down - spending the night - and then coming up the next day.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I was at the grocery store this morning, wandering around, and this very young girl standing at one of the checkout lines kept eyeballing me. She said hi as I was walked past her, heading for the self-checkout. I felt someone behind me. Before I had a chance to empty the contents of my bag to check out, she approached me and said, "If you want, I can check you out so you get senior discount." I laughed and said no thanks. I got a good giggle out of it. :meh:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 9:50am
I was at the grocery store this morning, wandering around, and this very young girl standing at one of the checkout lines kept eyeballing me. She said hi as I was walked past her, heading for the self-checkout. I felt someone behind me. Before I had a chance to empty the contents of my bag to check out, she approached me and said, "If you want, I can check you out so you get senior discount." I laughed and said no thanks. I got a good giggle out of it. :meh:
UGH.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
Ha! I get that when I buy multi-vitamins because I get the 50+ mixture now.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Mimi wrote:
She was trying to give you the hookup!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

matedog wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 10:34am
Mimi wrote:
She was trying to give you the hookup!
I should have taken her up on it. Most of my items were discounted anyway. Another 10% and I would have walked out richer. lol

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
I'd have taken her up on it, figured if I've lived this long then I've earned it. I've used my AARP membership card to rent a car, save some serious $$$. :mrgreen:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

About six years ago I received—addressed to me, not just dropped in the mailbox—a brochure for an abandon-your-parents place. What the fuck? I wasn't even 50 yet.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Does anyone wear bifocals? I'm getting ready. ugh. Did you have a hard time adjusting to them? I don't think I'm going to get the transition lenses just the straight line going across the bottom.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
21 Aug 2023, 11:38am
Does anyone wear bifocals? I'm getting ready. ugh. Did you have a hard time adjusting to them? I don't think I'm going to get the transition lenses just the straight line going across the bottom.
Given that I'd never worn glasses at all, I don't think it was especially hard adjusting. The only time it feels awkward is going down stairs—my eyes seem to be drawn to the wrong spot and I can feel a bit unsteady. I usually take my glasses off for that.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
I wore them for about a year, couldn't get used to them, so then tried the single contact lens, which worked well, but I hated putting them in earch morning, so I ultimately went for lasik that was good for about 10 years or so.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Sparky wrote:
21 Aug 2023, 1:39pm
Mimi wrote:
I wore them for about a year, couldn't get used to them, so then tried the single contact lens, which worked well, but I hated putting them in earch morning, so I ultimately went for lasik that was good for about 10 years or so.
I would love to have lasik, although I'm probably too old for that now.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Mimi wrote:
I adapted to them reasonably well and quite quickly. The only issue I have is that I tend to get eye migraines from time to time. I'm not certain but that might be due to not always being at the correct height relative to my PC monitor, so I am trying to use the wrong part of the lenses to read.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
21 Aug 2023, 2:32pm
Mimi wrote:
I adapted to them reasonably well and quite quickly. The only issue I have is that I tend to get eye migraines from time to time. I'm not certain but that might be due to not always being at the correct height relative to my PC monitor, so I am trying to use the wrong part of the lenses to read.
I wear trifocals hurt like fuck at first with bad migraines but I persevered and they work great.

So if you're ever wondering why my remasters come along in threes well now you know.🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Mimi wrote:
I wear progressive lenses. My first pair was a hell of an adjustment for like a week, but now they're fine. However, my second pair I realized too late that I got frames that are too large for it, and I cannot see out of the bottom 10% of my glasses. Now that I'm bifocals for the rest of my foreseeable life, I can no longer trust a place like Warby Parker, and will have to get my glasses in person, where a fitting is involved.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"