The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 2:57pm
JennyB wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 2:36pm
Also, I farted while sneezing in 10th grade math, so that was fun.
That's a damned dangerous situation!

In grade seven or eight, a guy in my class was giving a presentation at the front of class and got a boner. Painful and funny all at once because there was nothing he could do. He later became some kind of freaky evangelical minister in northern Saskatchewan. Is there a connection between the two things? I'd like to think so.
Oh man, that makes my voice cracking during a reading in 8th grade seem way less bad.

Also, the school bus vibrations used to give me massive pre-pubescent boners in elementary school. Always had to use my lunch box to cover up my tiny boner when I got to school.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 1:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

In grade seven or eight, a guy in my class was giving a presentation at the front of class and got a boner. Painful and funny all at once because there was nothing he could do. He later became some kind of freaky evangelical minister in northern Saskatchewan. Is there a connection between the two things? I'd like to think so.
Oh man, that makes my voice cracking during a reading in 8th grade seem way less bad.

Also, the school bus vibrations used to give me massive pre-pubescent boners in elementary school. Always had to use my lunch box to cover up my tiny boner when I got to school.
There was an episode of Roseanne that dealt with DJ getting random boners in school, etc. The men folk discussed their strategies for dealing with the problem. Good stuff.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 1:52pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

There was an episode of Roseanne that dealt with DJ getting random boners in school, etc. The men folk discussed their strategies for dealing with the problem. Good stuff.
Not sure when I learned the uptuck move but it came after the lunch box obfuscation technique.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 2:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 1:52pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Not sure when I learned the uptuck move but it came after the lunch box obfuscation technique.
I can’t recall when I learned those things, but it was an awareness that this thing could be problematic.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

How do you cover up your tiny boner now?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 11:35am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

How do you cover up your tiny boner now?
This is the "Growing Old Kinda Sucks" thread. Boners aren't much of a thing anymore.

But seriously, I've had to get up in the middle of the night for the 5 year old when I've had raging morning wood and have frantically had to hide it before she noticed. She was VERY obsessed with external reproductive organs for a bit and the last thing she needs to know is that dongs can grow.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Different kinda growing old sucks moment: home repairs. Our house has had chronic problems in the winter of water coming from, seemingly, the lower roof and down to the kitchen ceiling at a joist. Multiple have come around to make the fix, yet every once in awhile. When renos were done last summer, we thought, okay, shit's taken care of finally. Nope—water popped thru, bulging the paint, on Saturday. We got someone in today to deal with the ice dam that we believed was the problem and to see if they could propose a solution. Guys came around and looked and said immediately—like, before getting on the ladder—oh yeah, there's your problem. It's not a roof issue, there's a seam in the siding that wasn't properly sealed, so when ice builds up (due to the eavestroughing not being installed properly), water can drain into that seam. Jesus fucking Christ. I'm chiefly annoyed that it's taken so long for someone to diagnose it, but it also means we need to get the siding redone because we have no idea of the condition of the frame underneath. They've caulked the fuck out of everything so we should be fine in the interim, but we're going to have to get the siding replaced and any other repairs if there's wood rot. And make some fixes to the eavestrough to get rid of the ice dam problem. All because someone however many years ago cheaped out or didn't know what the hell they were doing. Do it fucking right the first time, dammit!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 5:25pm
Different kinda growing old sucks moment: home repairs. Our house has had chronic problems in the winter of water coming from, seemingly, the lower roof and down to the kitchen ceiling at a joist. Multiple have come around to make the fix, yet every once in awhile. When renos were done last summer, we thought, okay, shit's taken care of finally. Nope—water popped thru, bulging the paint, on Saturday. We got someone in today to deal with the ice dam that we believed was the problem and to see if they could propose a solution. Guys came around and looked and said immediately—like, before getting on the ladder—oh yeah, there's your problem. It's not a roof issue, there's a seam in the siding that wasn't properly sealed, so when ice builds up (due to the eavestroughing not being installed properly), water can drain into that seam. Jesus fucking Christ. I'm chiefly annoyed that it's taken so long for someone to diagnose it, but it also means we need to get the siding redone because we have no idea of the condition of the frame underneath. They've caulked the fuck out of everything so we should be fine in the interim, but we're going to have to get the siding replaced and any other repairs if there's wood rot. And make some fixes to the eavestrough to get rid of the ice dam problem. All because someone however many years ago cheaped out or didn't know what the hell they were doing. Do it fucking right the first time, dammit!
I hear you and feel your pain. I've run into some of the same issues with my house. Built in 1958, traditional American ranch. House itself is built as sturdy as a battleship, but the previous owners (they built it and lived here until they got super old) were not handy. In the time I've been here, I've run into several WTF moments. For instance, the hot water heater was vented using soup cans. Also, they had a leaky toilet at one point and instead of repairing the subfloor, they covered it up. By the time I discovered it, the subfloor was rotten and moldy. That said, they were apparently very nice people and I'm honored to now occupy their house. I just wish they wouldn't have cut so many corners.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 5:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 5:25pm
I hear you and feel your pain. I've run into some of the same issues with my house. Built in 1958, traditional American ranch. House itself is built as sturdy as a battleship, but the previous owners (they built it and lived here until they got super old) were not handy. In the time I've been here, I've run into several WTF moments. For instance, the hot water heater was vented using soup cans. Also, they had a leaky toilet at one point and instead of repairing the subfloor, they covered it up. By the time I discovered it, the subfloor was rotten and moldy. That said, they were apparently very nice people and I'm honored to now occupy their house. I just wish they wouldn't have cut so many corners.
Ugh. That ostrich approach is infuriating. I shouldn't have been surprised as to the nature of the problem because the foundation in the same area was improperly done (it's an extension to the original house). Just kicking the problem down the road to someone else.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I admit as a recent homeowner that I have fuckall skill with serious home repair. Not intentional, but I'm sure that if we're here enough years I'll unwittingly ignore some serious shit.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 5:54pm
I admit as a recent homeowner that I have fuckall skill with serious home repair. Not intentional, but I'm sure that if we're here enough years I'll unwittingly ignore some serious shit.
Just don't cover it up and forget it. Keep a list of what needs to be fixed and peck away at it as time, money, and skill are available.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 5:56pm
Flex wrote:
Just don't cover it up and forget it. Keep a list of what needs to be fixed and peck away at it as time, money, and skill are available.
But ignoring things is already how I manage my physical and mental health!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 5:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
But ignoring things is already how I manage my physical and mental health!
And next thing you know, you have black mold and rodent infestation in your shorts.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Deferred maintenance can be okay, but as you've mentioned - keep a list and peck away at it. I was lucky because we had been renting from me ex-in laws and they let us stay in our old house rent free for a few months so that I could do as much work on the new house as possible. They had old shag carpeting in every room on the main floor. A whole rainbow of colors: blue, orange, green, white. First thing I did was yank it all out. There were/are nice wooden floors underneath, but you could tell where they kept their potted plants, for instance, because the wood was all rotted from years of water dripping into the carpeting. When I redid the kitchen floor, I found 3 layers of old flooring. They just kept putting new on old. It kept me very, very busy.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 11:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Deferred maintenance can be okay, but as you've mentioned - keep a list and peck away at it. I was lucky because we had been renting from me ex-in laws and they let us stay in our old house rent free for a few months so that I could do as much work on the new house as possible. They had old shag carpeting in every room on the main floor. A whole rainbow of colors: blue, orange, green, white. First thing I did was yank it all out. There were/are nice wooden floors underneath, but you could tell where they kept their potted plants, for instance, because the wood was all rotted from years of water dripping into the carpeting. When I redid the kitchen floor, I found 3 layers of old flooring. They just kept putting new on old. It kept me very, very busy.
Ooof. The house we bought in Saskatoon, the previous owner was into stencilling. Stencilled flowers on all the walls, painted on the floors, fucking everywhere. There was a bath mat painted on the bathroom floor. I spent several years stripping paint and restoring the wood. Miserable experience.