The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 11:33am
I have an abdominal strain. It's on my left side where all the diverticulitis fun happens, but so far it feels only like a muscle strain. I'm an idiot.
My mom dove on the hard floor to try to catch her cat, wrenched her back and pulled some stomach muscles, so I feel for you.
Me, I wrenched my back kneeling down to clean the cat box once, yeah, getting old blow sometimes.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

My moobs have started to sag. Father Time wins again!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 9:13pm
Babies are hard even on man teets.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 9:37pm
Flex wrote:
Hello,

As we age, we lose lean tissue (sarcopenia). While we don't generate lean tissue as when we were young, we can maintain lean tissue through resistance training. Push-ups, weight lifting = no man boob sag. Maintaining lean tissue can help with weight maintenance and loss as lean tissue burns more calories - even as we sleep.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
Id say your ass is next but I'm pretty sure you don't have one.

Flex

Post by Flex »

gkbill wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 10:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 9:37pm
Flex wrote:
Hello,

As we age, we lose lean tissue (sarcopenia). While we don't generate lean tissue as when we were young, we can maintain lean tissue through resistance training. Push-ups, weight lifting = no man boob sag. Maintaining lean tissue can help with weight maintenance and loss as lean tissue burns more calories - even as we sleep.
Yeah, I've been back in the gym for the last coupla months just for that reason. Well, not the moobs specifically, but to your broader observation.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Flex wrote:
MOOB UPDATE: after a few weeks at the gym, the moobs seem a little perkier. At this rate, I'll be the belle of the ball in no time!

Question, for gkbill probably since you're the expert, I've started taking some HIIT classes at my gym - combo of weights and cardio for each class, I'm told it's similar to places like orangetheory in what they do (although at a more reasonable price point for me and the missus). Any recommendations for the mix of classes/rest days you'd suggest for, like, a regular person? I don't want to burn myself out but at the same time I want to commit to a good routine.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yet another big snowfall today—this has been a bad winter—which has left me with a lower back strain and two very sore, crunchy shoulders. My shoulders have been gibbled for several years now but this is extra rough. I suspect I'll be taking tomorrow off from exercise (apart from finishing the last of the shoveling).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Went biking today some in the snow thru the woods and some just on the bike path that was mostly clear. I am sore as fuck already. The fat bike when going thru the snow is more of a full body workout and like Ive mentioned before just the regular flat trails take more effort as its heavier and the fatter wheels introduce more resistance.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 7:16pm
Went biking today some in the snow thru the woods and some just on the bike path that was mostly clear. I am sore as fuck already. The fat bike when going thru the snow is more of a full body workout and like Ive mentioned before just the regular flat trails take more effort as its heavier and the fatter wheels introduce more resistance.
I don't know, man, but I'm impressed that you're out on a bike. Well done.

I've been roped into hiking the Grand Canyon in May. My sister and my uncle (he's 67) planned it. They added me and my nephew later on. I think I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm starting to wonder. I'm a very active person, but the idea is that you need to actually prep for this kind of stuff.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Is the soreness a lack of cycling and getting your muscles back or the additional resistance of snow and fat tires?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

In responding to Rev's post, I should probably put this out there in case I just vanish and you are all wondering what happened to me. My sister and my uncle have been talking about hiking the Grand Canyon for a while: down, then up. I was never a part of the discussion, but then they got a pass from the park service for 5 hikers and I was asked to go. I said yes without thinking too deeply. I'm still not worried, but also starting to worry. Can I do this? I'm an active person. I just go, go, go, but reading reviews of people who have gone before me - they take it seriously, so please don't think I'm not - but I'm starting to "think" think about it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 9:36pm
revbob wrote:

I've been roped into hiking the Grand Canyon in May. My sister and my uncle (he's 67) planned it. They added me and my nephew later on. I think I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm starting to wonder. I'm a very active person, but the idea is that you need to actually prep for this kind of stuff.
Dehydration is a big concern out there plus you have the added elevation so that can take a little out of you. I think the hike out could be pretty rough. Hydrate before and have water with you for the hike. If youve never been out there it can be pretty deceiving, you're sweating lle mad but it evaporates before you notice it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 9:39pm
revbob wrote:
Is the soreness a lack of cycling and getting your muscles back or the additional resistance of snow and fat tires?
My soreness is mostly upper body which I think is from the added work to keep the bike steady as you steer thru the snow. There's also the whole how quickly you lose it whwn you get older. You can get in shape but you take too much time off (days even) and it seems like you start at zero again.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 9:43pm
WestwayKid wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 9:36pm
revbob wrote:

Dehydration is a big concern out there plus you have the added elevation so that can take a little out of you. I think the hike out could be pretty rough. Hydrate before and have water with you for the hike. If youve never been out there it can be pretty deceiving, you're sweating lle mad but it evaporates before you notice it.
Hello,

I've run the Grand Canyon a few times. Prepare for a trail run - meaning lots of rocks, lots of turns, and some inclines and declines. I'd suggest going down the South Kaibob trail. It's a ridge trail and the views are phenomenal - you wouldn't think looking at a big hole could be so fascinating! The South Kaibob trail doesn't have water so I'd suggest a camelback. If you're only going rim-to-rim (down and back on the same side), come up the Bright Angel Canyon trail. It's the most popular and has water and benches every few miles. Burros definitely have the right-of-way.

The hard thing is if you're doing hikes to prepare, you go up a mountain and then down. At the Canyon, you go down then up.

I haven't done the glass floored thing that goes out over the Canyon.

If you haven't done it - go! You'll remember it forever.