The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Post by Flex »

In our house they definitely put a fake wood flooring in over... something. No idea the condition and we like the current flooring anyways so we're not doing anything about it but it's a Known Unknown.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 11:30am
In our house they definitely put a fake wood flooring in over... something. No idea the condition and we like the current flooring anyways so we're not doing anything about it but it's a Known Unknown.
It's kinda neat finding clues that suggest a previous owner was possibly nuts. It helps you build a narrative around the life of the house.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 11:33am
Flex wrote:
It's kinda neat finding clues that suggest a previous owner was possibly nuts. It helps you build a narrative around the life of the house.
Oh, I've got a bunch for mine, though mostly not structural. Our previous owner was a bachelor who worked at the nearby military base. When we moved in I found bullet casings in the furnace room. It was obvious from dust patterns on the walls that never actually put nails into his walls and just used command strips for everything, and for a little while we kept getting packages for him that he wouldn't come pick up (he moved south of us). Eventually we considered them abandoned and opened them up. What were they? Apparently he had recurring subscriptions to have Campbell's chicken noodle soup, fish oil pills, and various Funko Pop videogame figures delivered to his house. Also, based on the mail of his we kept getting he was a pretty died in the wool maga republican. Certainly enough data to present a pretty vivid picture in our mind.

EDIT: bullet casingszl, not gun
Last edited by Flex on 01 Feb 2023, 12:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 11:59am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 11:33am
Flex wrote:
Oh, I've got a bunch for mine, though mostly not structural. Our previous owner was a bachelor who worked at the nearby military base. When we moved in I found gun casings in the furnace room. It was obvious from dust patterns on the walls that never actually put nails into his walls and just used command strips for everything, and for a little while we kept getting packages for him that he wouldn't come pick up (he moved south of us). Eventually we considered them abandoned and opened them up. What were they? Apparently he had recurring subscriptions to have Campbell's chicken noodle soup, fish oil pills, and various Funko Pop videogame figures delivered to his house. Also, based on the mail of his we kept getting he was a pretty died in the wool maga republican. Certainly enough data to present a pretty vivid picture in our minds.
Who subscribes to Campbell's soup? Not even Dahmer was that crazy (no offence, WWK).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 11:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 11:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 5:56pm
Flex wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 5:54pm
I admit as a recent homeowner that I have fuckall skill with serious home repair. Not intentional, but I'm sure that if we're here enough years I'll unwittingly ignore some serious shit.
Just don't cover it up and forget it. Keep a list of what needs to be fixed and peck away at it as time, money, and skill are available.
Deferred maintenance can be okay, but as you've mentioned - keep a list and peck away at it. I was lucky because we had been renting from me ex-in laws and they let us stay in our old house rent free for a few months so that I could do as much work on the new house as possible. They had old shag carpeting in every room on the main floor. A whole rainbow of colors: blue, orange, green, white. First thing I did was yank it all out. There were/are nice wooden floors underneath, but you could tell where they kept their potted plants, for instance, because the wood was all rotted from years of water dripping into the carpeting. When I redid the kitchen floor, I found 3 layers of old flooring. They just kept putting new on old. It kept me very, very busy.
Ooof. The house we bought in Saskatoon, the previous owner was into stencilling. Stencilled flowers on all the walls, painted on the floors, fucking everywhere. There was a bath mat painted on the bathroom floor. I spent several years stripping paint and restoring the wood. Miserable experience.
The amount of dust that was in the carpeting was insane. I piled it all in the garage before taking it to the dump and the musty smell was overpowering.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 2:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 11:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 11:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 5:56pm
Flex wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 5:54pm
I admit as a recent homeowner that I have fuckall skill with serious home repair. Not intentional, but I'm sure that if we're here enough years I'll unwittingly ignore some serious shit.
Just don't cover it up and forget it. Keep a list of what needs to be fixed and peck away at it as time, money, and skill are available.
Deferred maintenance can be okay, but as you've mentioned - keep a list and peck away at it. I was lucky because we had been renting from me ex-in laws and they let us stay in our old house rent free for a few months so that I could do as much work on the new house as possible. They had old shag carpeting in every room on the main floor. A whole rainbow of colors: blue, orange, green, white. First thing I did was yank it all out. There were/are nice wooden floors underneath, but you could tell where they kept their potted plants, for instance, because the wood was all rotted from years of water dripping into the carpeting. When I redid the kitchen floor, I found 3 layers of old flooring. They just kept putting new on old. It kept me very, very busy.
Ooof. The house we bought in Saskatoon, the previous owner was into stencilling. Stencilled flowers on all the walls, painted on the floors, fucking everywhere. There was a bath mat painted on the bathroom floor. I spent several years stripping paint and restoring the wood. Miserable experience.
The amount of dust that was in the carpeting was insane. I piled it all in the garage before taking it to the dump and the musty smell was overpowering.
When some friends bought their home, we helped with prep for move in. The previous owners were smokers and when we washed the walls, the water was ink black from years of baked in smoke. Unsettling as hell for someone to exist in that permanent cancer smoke.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

We are about to hit two years in our house and I am grateful we got a small house. We are about to do our first big job in replacing the roof and there are certainly plenty of things I would like to improve but for the most part the maintenance is low impact and manageable.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I went to the dermatologist on Monday and the lady super-froze three precancer spots. The nitrogen gun really make you feel like a small part of you is dying, not it a painful way but more like you feel part of you removed. Wear sunblock kids.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 2:44pm
I went to the dermatologist on Monday and the lady super-froze three precancer spots. The nitrogen gun really make you feel like a small part of you is dying, not it a painful way but more like you feel part of you removed. Wear sunblock kids.
Ugh, I'm overdue to go back to the dermatologist, I hate walking around with all the burn blisters after they blast all my sun spots. When I was younger, we spent all summer outdoors, never gave sunscreen a second thought, live and learn I guess.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 2:46pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 2:44pm
Ugh, I'm overdue to go back to the dermatologist, I hate walking around with all the burn blisters after they blast all my sun spots. When I was younger, we spent all summer outdoors, never gave sunscreen a second thought, live and learn I guess.
Yeah, same. I'm still pretty bad for sunscreen—laziness, of course—but I do wear a hat regularly now (bald man's head feels the sun more harshly, y'know).

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Sunscreen irritates my skin so I wear a swim shirt under a shirt or golf sleeves (although, I can't find ones that actually fit right), and I never go outside in the summer without a hat now. Most of us here grew up in a generation that slathered baby oil on our skins. Good times.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I usually will wear it if I will be out in the sun much. Definitely at the beach and when in more tropical or sun drenched areas. Never did as a youngin.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

I have an abdominal strain. It's on my left side where all the diverticulitis fun happens, but so far it feels only like a muscle strain. I'm an idiot.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 11:33am
I have an abdominal strain. It's on my left side where all the diverticulitis fun happens, but so far it feels only like a muscle strain. I'm an idiot.
It's best when that shit happens and you're not doing anything unusual. I've had my back seize up on me while standing at the kitchen counter drinking orange juice. That's not me trying to dunk a basketball, but just feeding myself. I say again, intelligent design? Bullshit.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 11:41am
Mimi wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 11:33am
It's best when that shit happens and you're not doing anything unusual. I've had my back seize up on me while standing at the kitchen counter drinking orange juice. That's not me trying to dunk a basketball, but just feeding myself. I say again, intelligent design? Bullshit.
Yeah, my back used to seize up from making the bed. Ridiculous.