The Cricket Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Post Reply
BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4185
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

The Cricket Thread

Post by BitterTom »

England are world cup winners of the world's greatest sport, the Ashes approaches, and I can't wait. Rewatching the 2009 Ashes as I type. Peter Siddle has a face I want to slap and we were successful then, hopefully this year too. Test match against Ireland begins tomorrow, let's smash them.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33359
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 5:59pm
England are world cup winners of the world's greatest sport, the Ashes approaches, and I can't wait. Rewatching the 2009 Ashes as I type. Peter Siddle has a face I want to slap and we were successful then, hopefully this year too. Test match against Ireland begins tomorrow, let's smash them.
Everythi8ng you wrote was correct except for the bit about cricket being good.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21488
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

I am not a big cricket fan as such but I love the Ashes it is a brilliant series. I will watch as much as I can.

laxman
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2613
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by laxman »

Going well so far!

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4185
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by BitterTom »

Embarrassment. Bowled out for 85, any chance you could return Cook and show them how to bat?

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21488
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

Well that is why you have to love test cricket it is never over until Adele adjusts the microphone.
No matter how bad the game is going you can always turn it around.

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4185
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 4:53pm
Well that is why you have to love test cricket it is never over until Adele adjusts the microphone.
No matter how bad the game is going you can always turn it around.
True, however celebrations shouldn't go too far, it should have been an easy win. They really need to focus more, calm down, it's not limited overs and make slow and steady progress like good test cricket should be like.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21488
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 4:58pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 4:53pm
Well that is why you have to love test cricket it is never over until Adele adjusts the microphone.
No matter how bad the game is going you can always turn it around.
True, however celebrations shouldn't go too far, it should have been an easy win. They really need to focus more, calm down, it's not limited overs and make slow and steady progress like good test cricket should be like.
To be honest I didn’t see much of it as it started at 9.30pm.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21488
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 5:01pm
BitterTom wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 4:58pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 4:53pm
Well that is why you have to love test cricket it is never over until Adele adjusts the microphone.
No matter how bad the game is going you can always turn it around.
True, however celebrations shouldn't go too far, it should have been an easy win. They really need to focus more, calm down, it's not limited overs and make slow and steady progress like good test cricket should be like.
To be honest I didn’t see much of it as it started at 9.30pm.
A good competitive Ashes warm up.

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4185
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 5:01pm
BitterTom wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 4:58pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 4:53pm
Well that is why you have to love test cricket it is never over until Adele adjusts the microphone.
No matter how bad the game is going you can always turn it around.
True, however celebrations shouldn't go too far, it should have been an easy win. They really need to focus more, calm down, it's not limited overs and make slow and steady progress like good test cricket should be like.
To be honest I didn’t see much of it as it started at 9.30pm.
I've only just caught up with news and a couple of videos on Twitter.

My birthday present from Alex is a full day from 11 till finish watching a whole day of a test of the Ashes. I'm so excited!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21488
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 5:04pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 5:01pm
BitterTom wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 4:58pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 4:53pm
Well that is why you have to love test cricket it is never over until Adele adjusts the microphone.
No matter how bad the game is going you can always turn it around.
True, however celebrations shouldn't go too far, it should have been an easy win. They really need to focus more, calm down, it's not limited overs and make slow and steady progress like good test cricket should be like.
To be honest I didn’t see much of it as it started at 9.30pm.
I've only just caught up with news and a couple of videos on Twitter.

My birthday present from Alex is a full day from 11 till finish watching a whole day of a test of the Ashes. I'm so excited!
Which test? I used to live walking distance from Lords and have watched and drank my way through many tests there. Also had a mate from Leeds and every year we would go up to Headingley to watch at least 1 day of the trst (usually day 2 is best). Very different atmospheres but both great.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12569
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by revbob »

Image

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4185
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 5:28pm
BitterTom wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 5:04pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 5:01pm
BitterTom wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 4:58pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 4:53pm
Well that is why you have to love test cricket it is never over until Adele adjusts the microphone.
No matter how bad the game is going you can always turn it around.
True, however celebrations shouldn't go too far, it should have been an easy win. They really need to focus more, calm down, it's not limited overs and make slow and steady progress like good test cricket should be like.
To be honest I didn’t see much of it as it started at 9.30pm.
I've only just caught up with news and a couple of videos on Twitter.

My birthday present from Alex is a full day from 11 till finish watching a whole day of a test of the Ashes. I'm so excited!
Which test? I used to live walking distance from Lords and have watched and drank my way through many tests there. Also had a mate from Leeds and every year we would go up to Headingley to watch at least 1 day of the trst (usually day 2 is best). Very different atmospheres but both great.
The test is up to me, I'm going to pick one that's obviously on a day off and likely to be a cracker. Very jealous of your experiences though!

oliver
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 731
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 11:55am

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by oliver »

BitterTom wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 4:58pm
it's not limited overs and make slow and steady progress like good test cricket should be like.
With half the current raised on huge one-day scores and 20/20, slow and steady is a totally foreign concept
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4185
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by BitterTom »

oliver wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 8:28am
BitterTom wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 4:58pm
it's not limited overs and make slow and steady progress like good test cricket should be like.
With half the current raised on huge one-day scores and 20/20, slow and steady is a totally foreign concept
Sad but true. I totally get why one day and 20/20 cricket are more popular but you can't beat the classic game in my opinion.

Post Reply